It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

survival drivers test

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Worked in the woods logging for a few years. I know the drill very well, and drove a 2 wheel drive truck the whole time and winched and pulled many 4 wheelers out of some bad spots.

The only folks that got in trouble were the ones with no respect for their own limits.

I have a 4 wheeler now but have never engaged it.

Proper preps for an on and off rig include cable or military lift strap/tow strap to extend across two lanes of road and then some. As mentioned before a roll of wire is worth a lot. I prefer the coated rabbit proof fencing myself.

I also pack an air compressor for the tire trick, a couple cans of fix a flat, and a tow truck battery jumper.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
have 3 vehicles in my shtf fleet.
1.will carry a lot with truck cab attached and asides from from some very radical motor work 1000+hp it should work fairly well as a primary transporter.no surprise as it to what it is given my username.lol
2.a very capable on and off road suv.500+hp 170+mph will tow 7000lb boat.cant think what it is?you should think exotic and a panzer like build quality
3.a small 4wd sports panzer with 600+hp 200+mph,simply put the best useable exotic you can have.have planned this to "scout" few miles ahead of main convoy.nothing will stay with it and it will not break whatever i throw at it.
fairly fortunate to have a leg up in this scenario but realise in the long term they will be disposable,parts.electronics etc.would be a good idea to "bury" a hilux or early landrover for that eventuality.
but where in the hell do you draw the line

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
no roads out here... and vehicles dont do well in the jungle. will stick to good old fashioned feet can easily cover 25 km a day out here.. would be long gone by the time anyone made it here. .. if they survive the hike ..

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Well, the first scouting trip would definitely be on foot, so maybe it is time for that 2nd or 3rd scouting trip, should I take the bike for convenience and evasion, or take the truck for hauling capacity, protection, and tools? What do ya'll think?

Since it's a scouting trip, take the bike. Fast and nimble is what you want for scouting. Get in quick, get out quick.
Once you've scouted, come back with the truck for any supplies you located and want.

Bring extra fuel with you for the bike. A small can will really extend your range by a good ways, and you never know when you might get sidetracked/delayed. But you already knew that.

Edit: Back in the day, we did a lot of off-roading up New England-way in a pumpkin-orange '59 Studebaker Lark II. What a great little car that was. Pulled a few 4x4s out of the rivers with it, too. I'd put one of them up against any new Jeep with confidence.
edit on 14-1-2012 by subject x because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

I think you're probably right. Scout it on foot out to a safe distance first, with binoculars to see as far as possible. Then take the bike out for a short and quick scouting trip up to the edge of town, check out the pharmacies and grocery store/walmart store, and ace hardware that are about 5 miles up the road.

Then, if it looks safe, load up a couple of people in the truck, armed, and go get some supplies!

That would probably be my procedure after hunkering down in the house for at least 2 - 4 weeks. And when I say hunkering down, I mean no visibility of occupancy from the outside. No lights at night, no going outside during the daytime, just pure isolation and defense mode. Let all the amateurs and crazies fight it out and kill one another at the Walmart first.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.
I'm not sure if you could stay "hunkered" for too long without being found by scavengers/looters, but I don't know where you're at, either. It wouldn't be long until someone was checking everywhere for everything, though.

Hopefully, we'll never have to find out.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
You mean a driving course like this?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
Not driving anywhere.

In any apocalyptic situation it's going to be instinctual for every lemming on the planet to get int their vehicles and run.

I'll stay put and, when all the safe defensible structures are abandoned, I'll move into one of those, and pick through all the nice empty houses still full of provisions and swag while everyone else makes things worse on themselves and everyone else by running to the hills and clogging up freeways, while wasting gasoline that might not ever be produced again.

I'll disassemble all those nice solar powered road signs for the photo cells, and scavenge all the car batteries from vehicles people were forced to abandon due to all the traffic, scavenging/collecting/hoarding/storing gasoline/diesel where it can be found, and live in relative comfort with electricity, and all the other comforts urban dwelling has to offer with several cache stores and fall back points supplied and fortified against all the hungry desperate masses out of those that survive that will eventually come wandering back.

I'll stick around where everyone has left, where survival scavenging competition won't be as fierce as where every other lemming has tried running off to.
edit on 11-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

That sounds good except that, like Katrina...didn't people not leave and loot the stores? didn't gangs roam the streets, now imagine what would stop them from getting you...since the national guard and military will more than likely not be there to save you. Your going to hide in the city...or, stores will be picked clean in hours, if your seen from a 10th story window, by a gang member, he could signal his/her crew to rob you, follow you and take everything you have on you...or better yet, follow you home and then take all you have there also.

I am just pointing this out, many over look things like this...they do it now...why wouldn't they do it then?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Keep in mind that if you have thought about something and post it here or in another sites survival forum...chances are many have thought of it before, or done it before.
I say this because prior service members have done did many of the things that get posted here for surviving in a war or some other country...
I know that a bored Marine and a leatherman can be very educational or even very funny...for those that have spent a lot of time in the field, know what I am talking about....
It seems that many look at something and think of how can I do this, or how does this work...
Defensive driving is a good skill...you might be suprised how many people have done or do this on a daily basis.
Just like moving and shooting, or land navigation...just to name a few things.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by nineix

I'll disassemble all those nice solar powered road signs for the photo cells, and scavenge all the car batteries from vehicles people were forced to abandon due to all the traffic, and live in relative comfort with electricity, and all the other comforts urban dwelling has to offer.

Never seen this mentioned anywhere before, and it is genius! Two thumbs up and stars for you!

Now, don't ever say it again! This will be our little secret!

Yep and all the altonators left on the abandoned cars tons of uses from wind to water wheel
edit on 14-1-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join