It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Internment Camps War Relocation Authority Photos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
These are some great photos of everyday life for Japanese people who were ushered into these internment camps from the Westcoast beginning in 1942. I was going to upload the photos but it would be easier to just click the link provided and browse through them.

Source / Photos

Inevitably the government ordered mandatory mass evacuation controlled by the Army; first to assembly centers—temporary staging areas, typically at fairgrounds and racetracks—and from there to relocation centers—bleak, barbed-wire camps in the interior. Mass evacuation went forward in one locality after another up and down the coast, on short notice, with a drill sergeant's thoroughness and lack of sentimentality. As the Executive Order required, government agencies made an effort, only partially successful, to protect the property and economic interests of the people removed to the camps; but their loss of liberty brought enormous economic losses.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Well, we've come a long way since then: The FEMA camps are MUCH nicer!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Shameful time in our history ( one of many ). Thanks for the post OP. I remember spending about a month learning about this in 4th grade but I don't remember seeing any photos. What a horrible way to spend your time, cooped up like that. As much Americans as the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
what a piece of history...it's rare to see photo's from the 40's. I love them. Those in black and white are so much better than those that been retouched into colour.

Somehow for me the world back then was black and white. I cant imagine the 40's being in colour.

These photos should be national treasure. The problem with us is that we forget our history too soon.
Now the world too centred on what will be, not what was, which is a shame.
We shoud never forget where we've come from, it's the only way we know where were going.

In the U.S's case...your going from (relocation)camp(1942) to (FEMA)camp(2012).
The times change, not the people.

new topics

top topics

join