It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your representatives view on SOPA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Upon seeing ATS's undeniable concern I decided to do like we all should and mail, e-mail, or call our districts representative to express our concerns and see their view on the bill. My district in Pittsburgh is of that of congressman Tim Murphy, who I voted for actually, and this is what he had to say on these issues.

My email

Dear Congressman Tim Murphy,
I know your a busy man so I will keep this as short as possible. Everyone, if not most, people use the Internet on a daily basis to communicate, entertain, or educate. The SOPA and Protect IP Act, in my belief, will infringe the everyday American from using the Internet for these purposes. I also believe the bills are weak in the fact of tht businesses web sites can be shut down with little to no due process. Furthermore the bill also states that not only the distribution of music, movies, and etc can be the reason for shut down but words as well. I fear this will attack everyone's freedom of speech. I do not want the government to decide who I can listen to, who is right and who is wrong. Mr. Murphy my question for you is how do you feel about these bills and how do you interpret them. Thank you for your time an I hope to hear from you soon.

The response I received

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3261, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and S. 968, the Protect IP Act. I appreciate the opportunity to explain to you why I oppose these bills.

I support vigorous protections for patents and intellectual property; however, SOPA is the absolute wrong way to get there because it opens the door to regulation of the Internet and censorship by the government. 

As currently drafted, SOPA empowers the Department of Justice to block access to a broad spectrum of web sites. To comply with the law and avoid litigation service providers and Internet firms would simply deciding to shut off access to specific IP addresses or prohibit customers from sharing information. Either way, SOPA would dramatically curtain your personal freedom.

SOPA establishes an unsettling precedent of federal Internet regulations that could all too easily be used by entrenched special interests to undermine potential competitors. One of the reasons why the Internet is such an important communication platform is that it encourages the free exchange of ideas and technologies. New regulations like SOPA would make it more difficult to collaborate and access data or information and ultimately inhibit the American entrepreneurial spirit.

SOPA also utilizes inflexible security standards, which would in turn open loopholes that make online users more vulnerable to hacking and cyber attacks.

H.R. 3261 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee, which held a subcommittee hearing on the legislation on November 16, 2011. While not a member of the Judiciary Committee, should this legislation come before the full House for consideration in its current form, I will oppose it.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on H.R. 3261. Please do not hesitate to contact me with further questions or concerns. If you are interested in receiving my email newsletter describing important votes and key committee activity, I invite you to visit my website at murphy.house.gov... and sign up.

Sincerely,

Tim Murphy
Member of Congress

* Please Note:  If you wish to respond to this email, please visit my website and you will be directed how to reply.  

My question to ATS members is did you contact your congressman? If so what we their response?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I dont live in United States but if SOPA gets passed it will affect internationally. I dont think I can contact anyone congressman or legislator in United States, can I?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

You can, whether they concern your thoughts or opinions I can't tell you. I do agree it will affect more than just Americans. Sadly what we do impacts too many countries in this day and age. It should be lead by example not force our ways onto others.

join