It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney animal cruelty. Romney's Cruel Canine Vacation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Maybe I have been in the dark ages or something for too long but I swear I never heard this story before. For those of you that havent heard like me Mitt Romney put his dog in a dog carrier and strapped him to the roof of his car and then drove 12 hours from Boston to someplace in Canada for vacation. Idiocy stupidity or cruelty this is the man everyone is voting for. The full story here--> www.time.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by candcantiques

I don't get it? How's that cruel? Was it 103 degrees out or something? Dogs love riding in the back of pick-up trucks....hows this any different?

EDIT: Thought I'd add that I'm not a Romney Supporter....I'm not even Republican. I just don't see how this is cruelty.
edit on 11-1-2012 by bhornbuckle75 because: I am the Walrus...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This is cruelty, although the article says that he did this in 1983, it might not have been.

In my opinion it was a VERY wrong decision, and it just goes to show you how bad he is at common sense and critical thinking. Can you imagine what would have happened it that cage flew off the roof or if they had been in an accident. I love animals and this is just a deplorable act for a deplorable person.

It says in the article that it's illegal to transport an animal in a way that endangers it. So he got away with it...Poor dog. Do you sir think that a dog would not find that kind of ride terrifying?
edit on 11-1-2012 by LittleVoice731 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
One day I was driving on the highway in a southern plains state and came upon very slow traffic of about 5 mph. As I approached the scene of the accident...it looked much like a fender bender. No big deal.

Upon glancing to either side of the road I noticed two dogs. They were in sheer agony and near death with obvious broken bones.. The driver had his dogs in the bed of his truck. That sick feeling set quickly into my stomach and wished I had never seen the aftermath of that accident.

Anger also set in. What a stupid *** for driving on a major freeway with his pets in the bed of a truck. Unbelievable. I hate that I have this memory.

Mitt messed up big time.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by candcantiques
Maybe I have been in the dark ages or something for too long but I swear I never heard this story before. For those of you that havent heard like me Mitt Romney put his dog in a dog carrier and strapped him to the roof of his car and then drove 12 hours from Boston to someplace in Canada for vacation. Idiocy stupidity or cruelty this is the man everyone is voting for. The full story here--> www.time.com...

And why hasn't any of his opponents mentioned this? It's amazing how TPTB can keep things out of the public eye....until the time they're ready for us to find out about it.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by candcantiques

this makes him very stupid not cruel

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

The incident: dog excrement found on the roof and windows of the Romney station wagon. How it got there: Romney strapped a dog carrier — with the family dog Seamus, an Irish Setter, in it — to the roof of the family station wagon for a twelve hour drive from Boston to Ontario, which the family apparently completed, despite Seamus's rather visceral protest. Read more: www.time.com...

He allowed the dog to be transported on the roof for 12 hours.

Regardless of '83, 93 or 03, the decision was incredibly ignorant on his part. Can be ruled as "unsafe transport of an animal"*. This day and age, even with phones, if you are not sure if an animal is safe during a trip, call even,a clinic, shelter, etc and ask for advice.

*Those wondering why it is unsafe:
Kids enjoy, as had been mentioned above about dogs, love to ride in the wind, ride in the back of pickup trucks too. Does a want to ride fast in the wind make it safe for them to ride there? No, of course not!!! It's also illegal in places.

A cage attached to a roof of a car, the roof is in the direct air stream, vs a cage tied down into the back of a pickup truck.
-The cage can become dis-attached from the roof of the vehicle,
-Cage door can open/parts become unhinged, causing the animal to fall out of the container to the road...
either/or resulting in extreme trauma or death
-Can cause the dog extreme anxiety...drooling, tachycardia...wind related and temperate related issues-heat exhaustion...frost bite depending on temp.

Sources:
animal transport experience
Humane Society
Illegal transport-pickups
Global Animal

edit on 11-1-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
*Those wondering why it is unsafe:
Kids enjoy, as had been mentioned above about dogs, love to ride in the wind, ride in the back of pickup trucks too. Does a want to ride fast in the wind make it safe for them to ride there? No, of course not!!! It's also illegal in places.

A cage attached to a roof of a car, the roof is in the direct air stream, vs a cage tied down into the back of a pickup truck.
-The cage can become dis-attached from the roof of the vehicle,
-Cage door can open/parts become unhinged, causing the animal to fall out of the container to the road...
either/or resulting in extreme trauma or death
-Can cause the dog extreme anxiety...drooling, tachycardia...wind related and temperate related issues-heat exhaustion...frost bite depending on temp.

I'm just not seeing this...You're making an awful lot of assumptions. How do you have any idea how well he attached the cage? Heavy chains through open windows of the car would be far more than enough to keep the cage on tight and secure......same with the door becoming unhinged, or open...a really heavy duty lock would keep that from happening,...and assuming he didn't use an incredibly shoddily made cage, there's no reason to expect the door becoming 'unhinged'....The cage I've got for my dogs is about as secure as the one on my house!

Finally.....extreme anxiety, drooling, tachycardia....wind and temperature related injury? Seriously? The dogs riding on top of a automobile, not a rocket car. Moving dogs can be traumatic for them, sure....but I'd venture a bet that a dog riding in the cargo hold of a jumbo jet goes through a heck of a lot more 'trauma' than one riding on a car! .....I just don't see any unnecessary cruelty here....Sure Romney might have done this in an unsafe way...For all I know he stuck the dog in an apple crate and attached it to the roof using silly putty. I mean, that's certainly possible....but there is no reason to simply EXPECT that he did it like that. With no real evidence that he did this in an inappropriate way, I don't see any reason to conclude that he did not indeed take every precaution, and safety measure possible.
edit on 14-1-2012 by bhornbuckle75 because: Goo Goo G'Joob

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Halfway through the trip of 12 hours, the family noticed a brown liquid dripping down the back window. They stopped at a gas station, Mitt hosed off the dog, the carrier and the car and put the dog back up in there for another 6 hours...

Dogs often evacuate like this when they are in extreme distress, emotional and intestinal.

What Romney did was cruel and inhumane. He's a monster, IMO, and not just for this. This is minor compared to his other faults.

And this story is old and has been well-reported. It went around last election.

Source

edit on 1/15/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by candcantiques

I'm with you candcantiques

Neglect and callousness, an inability to care about the welfare of his own dog? How a man treats his own dog seems to me to be a reliable way to judge how he would handle most situations

He built a windshield for the carrier - so, yeah - he made sure the dog wasn't directly in the wind - for 12 hours - very practical

can you imagine what being strapped to the top of a car - at highway speeds - would be like for me or you? And we would have the benefit of understanding what was happening to us. We wouldn't spend 12 hours scared, uncomfortable...if that were only the least of it

he's not a stupid man, so - cruel it is. Just because he doesn't beat the dog doesn't mean he isn't abusing it

the story could be seem as a slam from his opponents - just politics as usual. But it was from an original piece written - I imagine - to show off some of his finer qualities. He had to have signed off on it

there was never any chance I would vote for him anyway - but it's stories like this that sometimes tell you the most
edit on 1/15/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45

Anger also set in. What a stupid *** for driving on a major freeway with his pets in the bed of a truck. Unbelievable. I hate that I have this memory.

I saw pretty much the same thing - years ago

the accident was nothing - but the dogs flew out over the truck, over the median and into oncoming traffic - none survived

I know people never mean for this to happen - they just don't think

but it does happen - I wish people would protect their animals

yes - they love riding in the back - and it is fun for everybody - but it only takes a second and they're gone
edit on 1/15/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

What? The dog pooped? that's the evidence it was under distress? Jesus....My dog's must be freakin' terrified 24/7 then!! I've driven my dogs to the vet (or elsewhere) many times.....More often than not, at least one of them poops in my car, even though it's generally less than a 15 minute trip, no matter where I take them. How much more they would poop on a twelve hour trip, I wouldn't want to know! Am I being unusually cruel to take them to the vet? I personally don't think so.....

As I've said before...I'm no fan of Romney....but trying to say he is cruel, by traveling with his dog, is nothing but a witch hunt......Concentrate on the real bad things he's done....not that he decided to take the dog on a family trip.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Here's another story on the topic. As Michael Buffer, one of America's most famous ringside boxing announcers would say: "Let's get ready to rumble." Forget the "substantive" allegations of "flip-flops" on Amnesty for illegal aliens or single-payer health care, or even the less substantive accusations of "vulture capitalism." If you want real proof the campaign season is in full swing and that the poop (pun intended) is about to hit the fan, look no further than the recent resurrection of allegations of animal abuse against Mitt Romney.

conservativeamericaonline.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

edit on 21-2-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join