It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God Care?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

It matters because if God cares, then there is a plan in place. If God cares, then regardless of how we view the world's current condition, there is purpose for every bad thing happening. There is a goal, there is a reason...it is better for the human psyche to think of bad things happening for a reason, than to think it is simply senseless chaos in a very cold and cruel world.

If God does not care, then we are all alone. And THAT makes all the difference.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

It matters because if God cares, then there is a plan in place. If God cares, then regardless of how we view the world's current condition, there is purpose for every bad thing happening. There is a goal, there is a reason...it is better for the human psyche to think of bad things happening for a reason, than to think it is simply senseless chaos in a very cold and cruel world.

Beautiful words my friend. There is a method to His (this) madness. Synchronicity is not make believe or overactive imaginations. Scripture is no accident. You reading this (whoever reads this) is no coincidence.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Does a God have to care for perfection to be or become? What if 'god' is simply the ever sustaining energy force of 'being' and we are all of an expression of Thee, who has, is, and will be, consistently and constantly being? Would the idea of a impersonal god change the fact that within you there is a nature that is pure, of love, and can seek harmony in the life that surrounds its very being? If you are of Thee...then do you need Thee to be something separate from you? How could you be separate from what you are of?

Many do need that separate god and they can and will create many great things and visions through this facet of desire and belief, it gives them comfort. What is needed, will be given.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo

Does a God have to care for perfection to be or become? What if 'god' is simply the ever sustaining energy force of 'being' and we are all of an expression of Thee, who has, is, and will be, consistently and constantly being? Would the idea of a impersonal god change the fact that within you there is a nature that is pure, of love, and can seek harmony in the life that surrounds its very being? If you are of Thee...then do you need Thee to be something separate from you? How could you be separate from what you are of?

Many do need that separate god and they can and will create many great things and visions through this facet of desire and belief, it gives them comfort. What is needed, will be given.

I apologize if I seem like an idiot, but what in the world did you just say? That sounds like Monty Python's instructions for the Holy Grenade!

www.youtube.com...

edit on 12-1-2012 by Starchild23 because: revision

edit on 12-1-2012 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

For there to be a plan in place...you think there has to be a God somewhere out there that cares? What if God is a impersonal force that we are simply an expression of, could the design that emanated forth hat is called life still not be a part of some natural design/plan/emanation/expression?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

have you ever read 'the impersonal life'?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

For there to be a plan in place...you think there has to be a God somewhere out there that cares? What if God is a impersonal force that we are simply an expression of, could the design that emanated forth hat is called life still not be a part of some natural design/plan/emanation/expression?

Are you still trying to disprove my argument, or are you agreeing with me now? Because from what I can see, you are supporting my thesis/question. If God has a design, or any design comes from Him/Her/It, He/She/It obviously intends for it to be so. And the only explanation is that He/She/It cares.

Are you telling me that He/She/It does care?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Why does what is eternally being, need to care? Its easy to subject something like god to our human limits that cause us to see things as separate, and have the need to care or not care.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Why does what is eternally being, need to care? Its easy to subject something like god to our human limits that cause us to see things as separate, and have the need to care or not care.

I have already answered this question, and you still have not answered mine. Either read what I post and answer in a straightforward fashion, or I will no longer reply.

For the last time, for something as supposedly "loving" as God has been said to be, it stands to reason that an obligatory sense of caring and guardianship over His/Her/Its creations (namely us) would present itself, especially should the creations (again, us) begin destroying one another.

Anything that ignores or disregards such behavior among its products is neither caring, nor loving, nor even the slightest bit sensitive. That would render the entire Bible completely invalid, as well as almost every other religion.

Such an entity would be a monster. The only other explanation along that line is that there is NO God. But we are assuming, for the sake of discussion, that there IS a God.

Now that I have elaborated...what are your theories?
edit on 12-1-2012 by Starchild23 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by WozaMeathed

Originally posted by chr0naut

I think God cares.

He was tortured to death to show how much.

Your false God wasn't tortured to death.
It was his son on earth that was made in his image that was alledgedly tortured to death.

Cant you Jebus followers even get that right?????????

Dear meathead,

God, when he spoke from the burning bush to Moses (thousands of years before Jesus' incarnation) identified himself with a name which is the Hebrew יהוה (equivalent to YHWH in English).

Hebrew is a pictographic alphabet, each letter represents an item.
Y represents a hand.
W represents a hook or nail.
H represents a window but also can be understood as: 'to see' or as 'the wind'

So the name God gave was "See the nail, see the hand".

Who do you think God was identifying himself as?

I have much evidence that indicates that Jesus is NOT a false god.

edit on 12/1/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Of course God cares.

He created the universe, including us.

If God didn't care, then nothing would exist.

Or do you subscribe to the notion that we came into being out of nothingness and emptiness and after random chance operated on nothingness over billions of years, the universe we now observe exists.

To think something so stupid and implausible happened, is an insult to both God and his creation.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Of course God cares.

He created the universe, including us.

If God didn't care, then nothing would exist.

Or do you subscribe to the notion that we came into being out of nothingness and emptiness and after random chance operated on nothingness over billions of years, the universe we now observe exists.

To think something so stupid and implausible happened, is an insult to both God and his creation.

I thought as much, but why rely on my own opinion? I'm not an arrogant berk, like some people in ATS. By the way, I really enjoyed what you had to say about the pictographic bit. Such surprising hidden facts make my day.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

have you ever read 'the impersonal life'?
I just downloaded a audio version which I turned off after about a minute.
The guy is saying Jesus was just an ordinary person like us but said some interesting things.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
It always confuses me when people bring up this question (or the associated "Why would God care about something as insignificant as us?"). I mean, it belies a fundamental misunderstanding of the very basic premises of the stuff we are talking about.

God (taken as an omnipotent, omniscient being) would by the very virtue of that definition, have no issue at all with keeping track of every single atom in the whole of existence. God wouldn't get tired, or bored or lazy, or not have enough time, or any problems like that.
It is a very "human" sort of response to think "Yeah, why would I care about THIS?" or "Why would I care about THAT tuft of grass I stepped on" or "That anthill I saw yesterday".
God doesn't suffer from human foibles.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

You have a different understanding of God, from people who are not trained in that belief system that you probably were. Genesis and Exodus say that The Lord rested on the seventh day.
I seriously do not think of God keeping track of all the particles of the universe.
Today, we have computers to where we can conceptualize things being programmed to run on their own and my idea if God would have Him at least as smart as we are.
edit on 13-1-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

That God may have very well rested on the 7th day does not necessitate that God needed to rest (or was tired in any way) on the 7th day. That God may very well have set up a system so that it is self-perpetuating and self-working, does not necessitate that God would not have the capability nor capacity to watch over each and every jot and tittle.
If one were to take on the normal and traditional understanding of the term "God" (in the senses I previously mentioned), they would realise that this "God" has dominion over the entire heavens and earth, and would suffer no fatigue in watching over or preserving or taking care of it.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
It always confuses me when people bring up this question (or the associated "Why would God care about something as insignificant as us?"). I mean, it belies a fundamental misunderstanding of the very basic premises of the stuff we are talking about.

God (taken as an omnipotent, omniscient being) would by the very virtue of that definition, have no issue at all with keeping track of every single atom in the whole of existence. God wouldn't get tired, or bored or lazy, or not have enough time, or any problems like that.
It is a very "human" sort of response to think "Yeah, why would I care about THIS?" or "Why would I care about THAT tuft of grass I stepped on" or "That anthill I saw yesterday".
God doesn't suffer from human foibles.

I understand your confusion. However, there is a saying: "Actions speak louder than words." Mankind assumes that if one cares about someone or something, they take the time to make sure that someone or something is taken care of. The chaos and destruction we witness every day on this planet belies that concept, leading to the inevitable question of "does He/She/It REALLY care?" I realize that the above proverb is related to human understanding, rather than a transcendant idea or capability, but how in the world are we going to define the true nature of God's regard if we cannot rely upon our own understandings? The simple answer: we can't.

But here's the problem with that. If we cannot define the true nature of God's regard for the life he has created...how can we trust those who have already defined it? How can we trust ANY definition of God's true nature? For in saying that the human mind is incapable of grasping or defining the true nature of any aspect of God, that would logically be extended to ALL aspects of God, thereby rendering Him/Her/It beyond our ken.

As a result, no person of any religion knows what they are talking about. That is the conclusion of this line of thinking. My point here is, unless we want to face that possibility, it is better to assume that the "Actions speak louder than words" thing DOES apply. And thus follows the question of His/Her/Its caring.

Did I help to clarify?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Revelation 12:7
Then war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back.

Where is God keeping track of "every single atom in the whole of existence" or keeping track of "every jot and tittle" in this sentence? I don't expect either one of you to have an opinion on Revelation but you both have an opinion on God and where does, or would (if you did believe in a validity to Revelation), God come into play in this great struggle?
How could something like this even happen, if God was keeping track of everything at all times and was continually exercising dominion over all things?
My solution would be that this is not the nature of the relationship between God and the universe, and what we take for granted as being the way things are, is like the nursery room version.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
Revelation 12:7
Then war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back.

Where is God keeping track of "every single atom in the whole of existence" or keeping track of "every jot and tittle" in this sentence? I don't expect either one of you to have an opinion on Revelation but you both have an opinion on God and where does, or would (if you did believe in a validity to Revelation), God come into play in this great struggle?
How could something like this even happen, if God was keeping track of everything at all times and was continually exercising dominion over all things?
My solution would be that this is not the nature of the relationship between God and the universe, and what we take for granted as being the way things are, is like the nursery room version.

Good job quoting exactly one line out of all of Revelations...and the whole Bible, for that matter. Oh, AND out of context. Try again.

p.s. Oh, and in saying that God's relationship with us and the universe does not include caring, you have consigned your entire race to a life of meaningless misery. Good work interpreting a single line of Revelations to turn the whole Bible on its head.

edit on 13-1-2012 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperiorEd

Some of you may be familiar with the man who wrote "Conversation With God".

There is a particular quote in there (which I shall paraphrase) : You think I care what you do...

Who here thinks that God cares what happens here, and just wants us to learn from our mistakes? Also, I desire to know why you think God created man to begin with?

If you read the comments above, many of them will look at this from the eyes of men of pride. Pride always first checks to see, "What's in it for me." This is an empty view of God since he needs nothing from us. Only beings that are empty seek to be filled. I'm not trying to be trite with this, it's just true. We only strive toward something if it meets a need. Need indicates an area which needs to be filled. Emptiness is comparable to hunger and desire. Once desire is met, there is a time of disinterest. We then go back and fill the need again as we become empty. We are constantly striving for the filling of various needs and desires. Pride seeks to protect this above all in a person that lives close to self.

Take a look at a baby. They only see what they need and nothing more. As they grow, their awareness starts to broaden away from the breast. Eventually, they leave home for college and start a family. Mom becomes a secondary thought.

Take a look at a person who becomes transcendent. Their awareness is broad enough to deny self and seek the benefits of others. Take this further to a God that is aware of an entire universe. He has no need, but fills Himself with love and kindness to the many in the universe. How does he see disharmony with this goal of love and giving? How is disharmony created?

Pride can only take. Taking creates a debt to be paid. Smoke and you get cancer. A smoker takes a reward that was not earned and a debt follows. Work at a degree and get a better job. This is giving and suffering work with the ends result of reward. Taking always ends in suffering, but suffering first always leads to reward. If you were an advanced being with all wisdom and knowledge, you would have realized this pre-existent truth. God is that truth in the form of the first consciousness (The Great I AM). All truth is and always has been and always will be. This is infinity. Infinity contains the whole, while finite reality contains the parts. God has already divided the light from the darkness. In Him there is no darkness. What does that tell you about taking and giving? God can only give.

What is darkness? The absence of light. God does not withdraw the light. He is the light. We take ourselves out of context with truth by moving away from the light. This is a choice.

Being in context with truth is the primary concern for us and for God. Consider this proverb in context:

Proverbs 1
8 Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction
and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
9 They are a garland to grace your head
and a chain to adorn your neck.

Is this truth? Yes if your mother is in context with truthful living. No if your mother is a crack addict. In this case, don't listen to her telling you to have a baby asap so you qualify for state aid.

God is in context with truth. We can choose this context and move with God or God moves away from us. Either way, he creates what is good and can only give the same. The gift of salvation is not being saved from God. It's being saved from ourselves.

edit on 11-1-2012 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

...you have spoken my exact thoughts on salvation...

I bow to you out of overwhelming respect.

edit on 13-1-2012 by Starchild23 because: revision

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join