It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I find myself in a quandry about my Get Home Bag-help, Do I have everything I need?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Greetings all,

I have a few weeks off(unemployed temporarily) and am spending the time to update my "Get Home Bag", and my "BOB's" for the family.

I carry in my car a waterproof outdoor bag, and since its winter, heres whats in it-What I want to know is am I missing anything essential?
warm snow boots
camo pants big enough to layer over whatever Im wearing
a short sleeve t-shirt, a long sleeve thermal shirt
a pull over hoodie
a down winter jacket(spare-as I always wear one in the winter anyway)
2 pairs of socks, spare undies, female items, (as I am)
a redcross blanket.
There is also a smallwaterproof pack that contains-
cut anything scissors(actually they are linemans shears, but really do cut even wire, and are very small).
Waterproof matches
a lighter(plus I smoke so 3 fire sources)
emergency candles(2)
a functional first aid kit
Map of the local area(though Im one of those cant lose my way folks and Ive lived here forever)
Some rolled an taped change totaling 20.00
an led flashlight, and extra batteries
Hat
Neck Muffler, 3 pairs of gloves, lined leather.
Sharpie Marker
Warning Whistle
Pair of Tesco tiny Binocs-light weight, easy to see through.
Military plastic canteen, and a few water purification tablets
MRE's (3)

So what have I missed or what needs to be adjusted?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rossa

You are missing the most important thing a gun. Without it you will lose everything else on the list. End of the world the most important thing is water, shelter, firearms and bullets.

Also Japanese Tasco binoculars are good if they are made in china upgrade. The old ones are made in Japan Hakko plant I beleive.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rossa

The only thing I didnt see was a AR slung over your shoulder. I think you could invade South Carolina

Edit- I didnt see any forms of protection i.e. Knife, baton or mace.
edit on 11-1-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You are missing some very important things.

Since its winter you need to have a couple instant heat packs. These are to warm your hands so your fingers dont get cold and stop working. they make them for inside your boots too now.

Simple white out cover/camo made from an old sheet. This is to cover you or your gear if you have to drop it and come back for it.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Great list, Rossa.

1. Food
2. Water
3. Warmth (No cotton!)
4. Shelter
5. Rescue

Have you considered packing a sleeping bag and tent/hammock/tarp?
Have you considered transitioning from a duffel to a backpack?
I think it would be a good idea to add a water filter or more purification tablets. Also, maybe add a bladder for more water storage?
Do you have a compass for your map?

550 Cord "paracord"
Multi-tool
100mph tape
Trash bags + ziplocks
Zip ties
Warm gloves +latex gloves
Sunglasses
Pocket am/fm radio (size of a cigarette lighter)
firestarter (like dryer lint) is a good idea to add to your fire-kit in the winter.
aluminum foil
Safety pins
TP!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rossa

A bug out bag is a bag to get you to your bug out location.
A vehicle bag should be suitable for the area and time of year itis.
If your able to get home or get to your bug out location with ease then your over packing.

One of the bags I have is for a 50 mile trip. I have what I need to get to that location in the bag.
If your going to be able to get there in a day or even 3, you might not need much for extra cloths, I mainly carry water and quick easy to eat items that would be good, for me...I just have 3 main meals from an MRE to eat, and a few power bars.I don't havethe full MRE's because I don't need or want the other things..and they take up space and weight.

I say this, because if you can walk home or to your bug out location in a day, you can get by with a lot less.
I have other things in the bag to, but water and food are usually the most important...plus you should be carring proper clothing on you already and have items in your pockets.
edit on 11-1-2012 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Rossa

Potassium Iodide... Helps against fallout, that might follow the emp that leaves you walkin home. You are no good all cancered up.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Rossa

the big question is - what do you expect your kit to " get you through " ?

for winter - the big thing that i see missing is heat

a mini stove like the jetboil PCS will both heat your MREs [ yes you can eat them cold - but hot meals are a psychological boost ] and give you coffe , also - the same fuel canister can power a miniture lantern - that will provide light and heat

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Adding a weapon might be all your missing, alot confuse a get home bag with a bug out...Im like you I keep just the stuff I need to get me home from the office. You dont need alot of the bug out bag items as long as you have the basics your good. I have 26miles to make it home if it comes to it, so I dont carry items to set up camp or anything, just snacks, water and proper clothing to keep me comfy enough to get home, I plan on walking straight home basically not stopping(occasional rest breaks, but no long term stops) and have several routes if I need to avoid areas for any reason. I keep my 40 cal Springfield XD on me or in the car all the time so with my plans and these items I will be fine, better than most for sure.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Too true, I dont have my ccw yet, but the guns already here, Im trying not to put myself in visible situations when trying to get home unless I absolutely have too. As soon as I can carry concealed, my pistol will always be on me
Thanks for the thought

I dont know how old the tasco's are, Im assuming recent since thier case bears desert camo, and they are very clear surprisingly so.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Rossa because: Forgot something

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

Hoping not to have to use any, but guess it might be something to add huh?
nice knife would be good but Im really better with a throwing ax, Ill have to mull it over, thanks for the advice

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

I forgot to add the heat packs, they are in there, but the white out is a great idea, and something I could easily come up with
Thanks

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

This is my get home bag, I have a 24 mile traverse, I can easily walk it in a day and part of a night, REALLY bad consitions might take a bit longer, guess I better add a magnesium fire starter and some cotton balls.
I agree with the cotton, the hoodie I have is actually more like a wool tunic, learned how valuable and good they are when doing historical reenacting, I can be warm in g 20 below, or cool in 90+ degrees heat surprisingly.
Thanks for the info, looks like Ill be adding to my bag.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Hopefully my kit will get me through sparsely populated settled areas, and along gravel roads and through woods and fields, its just too get me home to my safe zone.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Thanks Everyone, your ideas are much appreciated, looks like Ill be tweaking my kit some, youve given me alot of great ideas, hopefully I can pare it down and make it far more efficient than it is and hopefully get it into a unnoticeable back pack instead of a bag. It would be much easier to ahve with me all the time that way.
Thanks again I appeciate all of the comments
Rossa

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rossa

Glad to see you have a hit and run bag (new term BOB, sounds cooler) My wife has one in her car all the time (four kids and dad on trips). Here are a few things to look at.

Get rid of everything made of cotton; cotton kills. Replace it with wool. Maintains around 70% of heat retention (depending on the type) when wet. Dont spend a lot of money, just go to good will. A wool sweater doesn't have to look good to work. This includes Socks...wool

Add a 2mil drop cloth from Walmart (around $3.00) this is your shelter material. Cheap and effective.

If you cant procure parachute shroud line, get drapery rod line (very tough stuff) or some other suitable cordage with good tensile and impact strength, clothes lines another. About 100 feet will do fine.

Use the matches/lighter as a last resort. both are effected by the environment and the conditions. Get a BlastMatch and learn how to use it. Add Cotton balls and Vaseline for tinder (mixed) Works just as well as the most Vaunted commercial tinder.

Dump the Blanket and replace it with a high quality Sleeping bag. Zero degree, down if possible or better (-20)
If you can't afford this get two Issue wool blankets and sew them together. Having slept many a night is training in a single wool blanket the best I can say is it's a suck fest; twos not so bad. If your Red Cross blanket is not wool leave it at home.

Get a wool "watch" cap (stocking). Remember Poly only works when bone dry.

Bust your MRE packages down to their components and take only the necessities (reduces size and weight)

Add a caffine source; sometimes sleep is not an option.

Make sure you have multiple light sources including chem lights. Having to set up a Shelter at night can be a pain (or building a fire)

As far as Weapons are concerned, at a minimum have a good fixed blade knife (doesn't have to be sexy just a good 5-7 inch field knife in stainless will work and easy to maintain). Firearms are a personal choice. My wife carries a Glock 27, But in a bug out situation I would sooner her have a small rifle. I'm putting a AR-7 survival rifle in her bag with 250 rounds of CCI stinger. Should get her home of at least food on the fire and it doesn't break
the bank.

Again, Glad to see you are so forward thinking and not living with your head in the sand. Hope this helps.

top topics

join