It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the difference between war and terrorism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Because personally I see no difference whatsoever. The two are exactly the same and i challenge anyone to tell me different.

If one man decides to go to war against others then that is considered terrorism, but in fact it is no diffrent than warfare. Planting a bomb in a shopping mall is no different than carpet bombing a country. planting a bomb in a shopping mall is no different than dropping a bomb on a power station. People in the shopping mall will probably die as will people in hospital or in homes who require power.

Terrorism is warfare and warfare is terrorism, both terrorise civilians in society.

That said, if bombs are planted in our countries if we go to war with Iran, it is our duty to say, thats not terrorism, we are just being bombed because we are bombing them.

Rant over.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

I would say if there is a difference it would be that terrorism is on a more person level and war is on a country level, basically people/groups carry out terrorism and Nations/Countries go to war. I see your point though, it's kind of a communicative scale to measure hostilities I guess that really end up with the same results.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

The difference depends on which side you're on.
One country's war heroes are another country's
butchers.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

If you are the one doing the shooting...you're at war.

If you're on the receiving end...it's terrorism.
edit on 11-1-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Part of it depends on the objectives and who or what is being targeted.

For war, there is usually a formal declaration, and the targets are the enemy combatants and there supporting structures like factories that make the war supplies and the command structure and such of the enemy warfighting complex. It is essentially for the purpose of making the other side do what you want when diplomatic means have failed.

For terrorism, the targets are usually non-combatants. The purpose is usually aimed at overthrowing the political/social structure of the target society. This is usually done by means of causing damage and casualties to the extent that the peoples of the society become so overburdened with the structures put in place by the societal government in an effort to protect them that the people enact a change in the government.

In a war, the populations of the opposing sides tend to be supportive of their leadership's efforts to defeat the opposing force.

With terrorism, the terrorists are usually extremist in their views compared to the population they are in and tend not to have the support of the majority of the society in which they exist.
edit on 11-1-2012 by davidchin because: add stuff

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Depends on who peretrates it and who is the victim

The US has invaded how many counteries in the last 100 years???

The Australian journilist John Pilger; has estimated that the US has been a direct cause of death to 45, 000, 000
in the last hundred years, presumably bringing freedom and or democaracy to them, a bit like the inquisiition, we have to kill you to save your soul.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I think the only difference is organizations that have armies wage war. Organizations with no army commit terrorism. Or if Americans don't like you then your a terrorist even if you have an army.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
In the words of Roger Waters,

Terror is still terror whosoever gets to frame the rules.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It comes down to which side has the most powerful propaganda.

top topics

join