It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REALLY bright star / planet in the sky?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
If it's early evening then it's venus. If it's later it's Jupiter. The one I'm curious about is the big reddish one in the eastern sky that rises around 10:30 Pm CST after Orion and Mars. It has a bit more magnitude as Betelgeuse in Orion.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by eywadevotee
If it's early evening then it's venus. If it's later it's Jupiter. The one I'm curious about is the big reddish one in the eastern sky that rises around 10:30 Pm CST after Orion and Mars. It has a bit more magnitude as Betelgeuse in Orion.

I love looking at Orion's Belt at night...the red/ orange-ish star is Beetlegeuse.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Hmmm. To answer your question first, I would have said Arcturus. Although the timing isn't quite right. In the mid-latitudes Arcturus is rising closer to Midnight right now. It is rising at about 10:30 at locations further to the North, but I'm talking about Northern Canada.

To tell you the truth, if you hadn't said "after Orion and Mars", I would have told you it was Mars, since Mars rises at about 10:30 right now for most of the U.S.

To verify if it Arcturus, you can see if the curved handle of the Big Dipper is pointing to it. The way to find Arcturus is to "Follow the arc to Arcturus", with the "arc" being the Big Dipper's handle. Arcturus is bright and reddish orange.

As for the OP, I'd say it was Venus. Venus has been in the SW sky in the evenings lately, after sunset. People may be just noticing it now because it was not there just a couple of months ago (well, it was there, but too close to the Sun when viewed from earth, so it was not really visible).

edit on 1/11/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Maybe Procyon?
Or Aldebaran on the other side of Betelguese..

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Maybe Procyon?
Or Aldebaran on the other side of Betelguese..

I considered Aldebaran, but he said it was rising "after Orion and Mars".

However, now that I think about it, perhaps the answer is that "eywadevotee" is mistaken about what he thinks is Mars. I think you (eywadevotee) are seeing Aldebaran and thinking it is Mars. Aldebaran is very bight, and reddish. It is located to the "upper right" of Orion.

So when you say the object in question was rising at 10:30 "after Orion and Mars", maybe you really mean it was rising at 10:30 "after Orion and Aldebaran".

That would make more sense, because then the object you see rising at 10:30 could then be Mars -- which is red, bright, rises in the east, and has been rising lately at about10:30.

edit on 1/11/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

If he's referring to right now, the red item is most likely Arcturus. It's a bright star too.

Mars is currently present in the sky too, it's a nice little red thing.

edit on 11-1-2012 by Mapkar because: Misread the post, had to fix.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I know which object in the sky you speak of. I've noticed for the last few years and it seems to be getting brighter. This particular object is now so bright that you can see it even when it is right next to a bright street light or the chemtrail haze is blocking the rest of the objects in the sky. This should be the sticking point. Some stars are brighter than others, but when one is so bright that you can see it even when nothing else in the sky is visible, then we have something to be concerned about.

This falls in the same category as chemtrails though. Even though it's something everyone can see for themselves, most will just look away because the truth is too scary.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by inmate2276

Just another example of how bright Jupiter is it can be seen here in Las Vegas while viewing from the strip. In fact at my house Jupiter passes through the light of the luxor and can be seen inside the light.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Here in Toronto i can see it also, brighter indeed then last year, and then during sunrise, just before the sunrises, there is even a brighter star to the east, MUCH brighter and bigger, also don`t know what it is (don't have smart phone, i don't trust them). but it appeared only a few month ago, during summer time, i will try and take a picture tomorrow morning, i think it`s bright enough to catch it with bad exposure, unless it`s cloudy

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by XaniMatriX

That "Star" you are seeing is actually Venus.

Here's a link, you can put in the lat and long of where you live and select Venus, and see it's transit times:

Rise/Set/Transit Time For Celestial Bodies

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Here's a link, you can put in the lat and long of where you live and select Venus, and see it's transit times:

The one at sunrise or in the middle of the night, because Jupiter is the one you rise with the moon, well i see it from where i am rise with the moon, is Venus the one at sunrise?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by XaniMatriX

The one at sunrise or in the middle of the night, because Jupiter is the one you rise with the moon, well i see it from where i am rise with the moon, is Venus the one at sunrise?

At the moment, Venus is rising a couple of hours before Sunrise, and is very, very bright in the pre-dawn sky.

I say "at the moment" because planets move differently that he rest of the background stars (hence the name "Planet" -- or in Greek "Planitia", which means wanderer) and Venus will eventually "wander" its way to the east side of the Sun, and will be able to be seen after sunset in the western sky by next summer.

Venus is just about always the brightest think in the sky, other then the Sun and Moon.

edit on 11/5/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by XaniMatriX

At the moment, Venus is rising a couple of hours before Sunrise, and is very, very bright in the pre-dawn sky.

I say "at the moment" because planets move differently that he rest of the background stars (hence the name "Planet" -- or in Greek "Planitia", which means wanderer) and Venus will eventually "wander" its way to the east side of the Sun, and will be able to be seen after sunset in the western sky by next summer.

Venus is just about always the brightest think in the sky, other then the Sun and Moon.

edit on 11/5/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

So it is Venus, good to know i was thinking planet X
not... it is pretty damn bright though, wish i had a telescope to get a good look at it. i wonder if this is all leading up to the alignment, or did that already happen?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
This thread is from January!

Thing is, planets change their position (which is where their name comes from - "wandering stars") so a very bright "star" you see in January might be a different object from the very bright "star" you see in November. It also depends if you're looking in the evening, middle of the night, or in the morning.

For the past few months, Venus was the "morning star" appearing before sunrise. Jupiter also. Jupiter is now getting higher in the sky, so it's visible for most of the night, while Venus is getting closer to the Sun.

I think everyone curious about what they're seeing in the sky should download the free software Stellarium. It's simple to use and answers most people's questions. www.stellarium.org...

You can also access the whole-sky chart at www.heavens-above.com...
edit on 6-11-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

For Venus, a pair of binoculars will work pretty good.

You should be able to watch it and see the phases of it with a good pair of binoculars.

<< 1   >>

join