It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma mom calling 911 asks if shooting an intruder is allowed - Why the Second Amendment is so im

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Duck and cover ATS! Incoming can of worms!

I searched and didn't find a single thing about this, which was surprising to me. I didn't think this really belonged in breaking news or weaponry, so I defaulted to General Chat. Mods: please move and scorn me if appropriate.

Home alone with her 3-month-old son, Sarah Dawn McKinley of Blanchard, Oklahoma, said she decided to make a stand when two men tried to break into her home on New Year's Eve.

This story is about an 18 year old mother, at home alone with her infant son when two men attempted to break in. This woman's husband died on Christmas day - police believe the intruders may have been looking for prescription drugs he was taking for pain management.

The woman, Sarah Dawn McKinley, saw the men approaching, she put her son in a safe place and armed herself with a 12 gauge shotgun. She called 911 and asked the operator is it was legal to defend herself...

"I've got two guns in my hand. Is it OK to shoot him if he comes in this door?" asked McKinley, 18.
"Well, you have to do whatever you can do to protect yourself," dispatcher Diane Graham responded.
"I can't tell you that you can do that, but you do what you have to do to protect your baby."

In the end, McKinley fired a 12-gauge shotgun and killed Justin Shane Martin after he entered her residence, according to a Blanchard Police Department affidavit filed in court Wednesday. Martin was armed with a knife, authorities said.

So many people on ATS are anti-guns - but I wonder how they would feel about that if this happened to them and they were not prepared to defend themselves? These men were intent on breaking into an OCCUPIED home to steal narcotics - do you think they would have left Ms. McKinley and her son alone and just left with the loot? Something tells me this would have turned out very tragic had she not had the means and good sense to protect herself.

Personally I think Sarah Dawn McKinley is a hero, and I hope she feels absolutely no guilt for what she was forced to do. It's always tragic when a life is lost, but better the perpetrator of a crime than the victim of one, no? After what she had to go through on Christmas, this incident could very well be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I hope she finds peace and pride in her actions, knowing that she very well could have saved her son's life and assured her place in this world to look after him as he grows up. Kudos to Sarah Dawn McKinley and the Second Amendment.

So really, ATS, what do you think? Did this woman do the right thing? Why or why not? If you are anti-gun, are you willing to admit that there are situations where being able to protect yourself and your family would be impossible if not for the Second Amendment?

The Story.

edit on 11-1-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It's a shame the second one got away unharmed.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
shoot first ask legal questions later

2nd amendment rights for the win

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
It's a shame the second one got away unharmed.

Actually, the one that got away unharmed, is now in custody, and being charged with murder, because he was participating in a crime where someone was killed.

abcnews.go.com...--VE

When the death of someone occurs in commission of a felony, we're allowed to file a murder charge, and that's what we've done in this particular case, because Mr. Stewart, in this case, will be responsible for the death of Justin Martin," said District Attorney Jason Hicks.

edit on 11-1-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
i was going to say take a non leathel shot but a shotgun you cant realy do that lol proberly a warning shot first then get mean lol good on her for protecting her home and family though

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I'm OK with this. If somebody wants to enter my house, rob me and whatever else, i would defend myself and if the intruder(s) die...well, they die. It's their own fault.

I'm surprised that this woman was so calm and thought about calling the police first. I think most people rather would panic and go crazy if somebody was attempting to break into their house.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

It's legal to kill an intruder breaking into your home, but only shoot them once and make sure they die and do not let them get out of the door. I'd keep a 12 gauge loaded with slugs because buckshot might not do the trick unless youre pointblank and i don't intend to let them get close enough to me to find out if buckshot will finish the job.

You gotta do what you gotta do, i promise you if they break into your house and you see their face they probably aren't planning on allowing you to live to tell who they were so you better get them before they get you. This isn't the kind of case where turning the other cheek is even a remote possiblity.
edit on 11-1-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I used to be anti-gun. Well ... not anti-gun just didnt see a need for having a gun myself. And saw a problem with the amount of guns available to people who had no business having a gun. More recently I am happy to say that I have purchased a gun and learned how to use it for a situation just like the woman in this story. I dont hunt, I dont eat meat, and I dont really take it target practicing. Its sole purpose is to be there if someone tries to get into my house. Nothing has happened so far but my city started talking about not giving out any more gun permits (unless you could demonstate why it was needed) as being a possibility so I secured one before that happen (still hasnt happened by the way).

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

It's legal to kill an intruder breaking into your home, but only shoot them once and make sure they die and do not let them get out of the door. I'd keep a 12 gauge loaded with slugs because buckshot might not do the trick unless youre pointblank and i don't intend to let them get close enough to me to find out if buckshot will finish the job.

You gotta do what you gotta do, i promise you if they break into your house and you see their face they probably aren't planning on allowing you to live to tell who they were so you better get them before they get you. This isn't the kind of case where turning the other cheek is even a remote possiblity.

Exactly. I agree that if they break in while you're at home your chances of being let go are slim to none. You gotta defend yourself and your family. If I feel my family is in danger I will "shoot first, ask questions later" too.

If I ended up spending time in prison for saving lives I could live with that.

Regarding warning shots: IMO, if they're already in your house they don't deserve a warning. I am against the death penalty but I am all for rights to self defense.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
I used to be anti-gun. Well ... not anti-gun just didnt see a need for having a gun myself. And saw a problem with the amount of guns available to people who had no business having a gun. More recently I am happy to say that I have purchased a gun and learned how to use it for a situation just like the woman in this story. I dont hunt, I dont eat meat, and I dont really take it target practicing. Its sole purpose is to be there if someone tries to get into my house. Nothing has happened so far but my city started talking about not giving out any more gun permits (unless you could demonstate why it was needed) as being a possibility so I secured one before that happen (still hasnt happened by the way).

You need to take that thing to the range and get good at using it. Having a gun but not being able to hit the broad side of a barn does you no good. Knowing how and where to shoot someone could make all the difference between you dying and them surviving.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck

I am very much like you. I was once sort of anti-gun. I started going shooting with a few friends and realized it's a fun sport - and vital for home protection.

I do go to the shooting range occasionally, and I do get out of city limits with friends from time to time to shoot with friends. I am planning on getting my CCW this year but I don't see myself carrying - mostly I want the knowledge from the classes and the ability to concealed carry if every it's appropriate to do so.

Most gun owners are responsible, law abiding citizens and will not use their weapons unless they absolutely have to.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Exactly. I agree that if they break in while you're at home your chances of being let go are slim to none. You gotta defend yourself and your family. If I feel my family is in danger I will "shoot first, ask questions later" too.

If I ended up spending time in prison for saving lives I could live with that.

Regarding warning shots: IMO, if they're already in your house they don't deserve a warning. I am against the death penalty but I am all for rights to self defense.

Well, from a religious standpoint. The old testament of the bible says "if a man enters your house when you are asleep, kill him". Robbery is nothing new, people have been dealing with it for thousands of years. More often than not in those times if someone broke into your house when you were sleeping they'd cut your throat and this is where the term calling thieves "cutthroats" came from.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I commend the young lady. I hear that her husband just died of cancer around Christmas, I could only imagine what she was thinking at that moment. One thing is for certain, she didn't want to loose another family member. This type of thing should open the eyes of people whom think of guns as something that should be nullified. In a perfect world, yes- they should be nullified.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
[Most gun owners are responsible, law abiding citizens and will not use their weapons unless they absolutely have to.

I agree ... like most things completely misrepresented in the media until you actually spend some time with people it is tough to know what they are like and why they stand for what they do.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
She did the right thing, like someone said ,sad the 2nd one escaped,at least she called 911 and asked first

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Sounds like she did the right thing. Woman with a baby home alone. Two guys breaking in. Yup - time for talking was waaay past.

new topics

top topics

join