It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Government predicts, then denies NK blast.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I caught this just in time on Blahoo. There was a story published Saturday about a possible nuclear test by North Korea. Just as I was quoting it, it disappeared from the "MOST VIEWED" section.

Then comes the story 30 minutes later that the US Government is regarding NK's recent blast as non-nuclear.

This is too scary.

story.news.yahoo.com
(note: 1st story)

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The US intelligence community is in the grip of an internal debate on whether new data on North Korea (news - web sites) should be interpreted as a sign the country is preparing for its first nuclear weapons test, US administration officials said....A nuclear test by North Korea ahead of a US presidential election could deal a severe blow to President George W. Bush (news - web sites)'s strategy of diplomatic containment of the Stalinist state that has openly bragged about its nuclear ambitions.

(note: 2nd story)

SEOUL, South Korea (Reuters) - A huge explosion rocked North Korea (news - web sites) three days ago but U.S. and South Korean officials said on Sunday it was unlikely to have been a nuclear weapons test despite a report the blast produced a mushroom cloud.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Talk about going from Alpha to Omega. I'm starting to wonder which government produces more propaganda, ours or North Korea's?

I'm glad I caught these blurbs. You gotta be quick nowadays to catch the U.S. censors at work.

Related News Links:
story.news.yahoo.com

[edit on 12-9-2004 by dotgov101]

[edit on 12-9-2004 by dotgov101]

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Anyone remember the North Korea "train incident" that happened a few months back... I'm not sure if this might be the first nuclear test N Korea has carried out.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
Anyone remember the North Korea "train incident" that happened a few months back... I'm not sure if this might be the first nuclear test N Korea has carried out.

Funny NK will nuke her own people. That was a failed assasination attempt by US as Kim was returning from visit to China. He escape that attempt narrowly.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The mushroom cloud was about 2 miles wide. That sounds a little large for it to have been non-nuclear. It's possible, I know, but still questionable. The best arguement I've heard for it not being nuclear is it's very short distance from the Chinese border.

As far as the train incident being a U.S. assasination attempt... That just doesn't seem like U.S. style. If we really want someone assasinated... their deaths would be much subtler, and the assasination would be far less obvious. Not to mention, if the attempt had been ours, Kim would be dead lol. I know, I know... everytime ANYTHING bad happens in the world it's the United States' fault, however I'd be more willing to believe it was an attempt by another nation (maybe China or even would-be revolutionary N. Koreans).

Back on topic, I don't think that this affects us very much in the long run. Nuclear weapons have been around for a long long time now. It won't be long before every nation on earth has them as a standard. Does everyone remember the Anti Ballistic-Missle shield? We have admitted to having at least one of the facilities in place (which means that we have at least half of a dozen), and the system was tested successfully back in 2001 I believe. Also, Britain and Austalia have joined us in this program. Every nation in the world could become nuclear capable over night and the only one we'd have to worry about would still be the Russians lol. No one in the world has enough money or resources to build enough nukes to actually hit us with one. Only Russia and their stockpile poses a threat. By the way... no one else seems to have enough money to build a missle shield as well lol.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng

Originally posted by lockheed

Funny NK will nuke her own people. That was a failed assasination attempt by US as Kim was returning from visit to China. He escape that attempt narrowly.

Agreed zcheng. That was either a MOAB that hit or a very low yield nuke.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by fortunate1
As far as the train incident being a U.S. assasination attempt... That just doesn't seem like U.S. style. If we really want someone assasinated... their deaths would be much subtler, and the assasination would be far less obvious. Not to mention, if the attempt had been ours, Kim would be dead lol. I know, I know... everytime ANYTHING bad happens in the world it's the United States' fault, however I'd be more willing to believe it was an attempt by another nation (maybe China or even would-be revolutionary N. Koreans).

How many times would Castro be dead, if what you said is true.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Ivan Ivan Ivan...The irony that it's a Russian name.

Why the 30 second blurbs regarding a mushroom cloud, for God's sake? Yesterday there was a news article released that the Post Office is releasing a stamp with clouds on it. There were pictures of the new stamps everywhere I looked. I'm going to get a little analytical on this one...forgive me if I go too far.
The reported chain of events
We have been conditioned for several months now for an impending attack. The day before the explosion story was leaked (no pun intended), the U.S. Government issued a mixed statement regarding North Korea as a nuclear state. Also, a new stamp is being released with lovely clouds on it. Ho hum. Yawn. Then today, 3 days after the event itself took place, we get very small bits and pieces from our closest ally in the area, South Korea. This story was not meant to be released today, hence the vague and contradictory statements made by Powell.
There are no pictures of ANYTHING. The only photo I've seen released is a stock photgraph of what could be anything, anywhere, after even a small bombing. No satellite imagery, no stills, no videos. Most disheartening, there are no eyewitness accounts.
Then North Korea's beloved and worshipped leader releases a statement of how it was a test to show the world that he means business. This statement is suprisingly predictable, despite his unpredictable nature. I believe it was an accidental disaster, because Mister Kim Jong Il is a huge movie buff, and professionally shot-and-edited footage would have been rampant on IRC's, Satellite providers, and Al-Qaeda sites (hey-they like to see anything blown to pieces).
Question:
My question is...why is our culture being treated this way (and my apologies to the innumerable citizens who died and lived in a more oppressed society than ours)? Why did this have to wait 72 hours for us to learn, and why are we being spoon-fed the information, scouring the internet (our closest tool to freedom) for images..anything...to support any theory?
Maybe it's the election. Maybe it's theory A or theory B. Maybe it's the planet allignment. I, however, believe it's something much more ominous. Someone, some group, or some country has President Bush by the ku-ho-nays, and this was another move on the political chess board. They're zeroing in on our Queen, and it's so evident.
This is why the current Blahoo! front page headlines contain these events:

2) Florida officials optimistic...Ivan (blah)
3) Hong Kong voters turn out...in droves (blah)
4) Cheney backs off... Kerry (ho)
5) Scarf ban...(hum)
6) Oracle ruling...embolden dealmakers(zzzz)
7) ...Box Office (snnnooorrreee)

Where's the mushroom cloud???

dot.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dotgov101
I caught this just in time on Blahoo.

What's a "Blahoo"?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by esther

How many times would Castro be dead, if what you said is true.

If we smoked Castro, the entire world would scream that it was us anyway. We couldn't get away with it. Simple as that.

You sure US has so much credibility left for other people to believe US? Genocide in Sudan, Athrax of Iraq by Powell the poodle?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

I caught this just in time on Blahoo.

What's a "Blahoo"?

It's Yahoo news. I read the most-emailed, most viewed, and highest rated news articles on the site. Most of the articles are hand-picked by a higher entity that believes in garden-variety news for the common masses. You'll see an article about 60 people dying in Iraq followed by a Dear Abby article. It does news no justice, and ATS puts it to shame.

Thanks for the edits, Valhall.

Dot.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   

You sure US has so much credibility left for other people to believe US? Genocide in Sudan, Athrax of Iraq by Powell the poodle?

Do we really need to have this conversation on yet another thread zcheng? I thought we already discussed the difference between reality and fantasy as well as the concept of ridiculous corellations. You're just making yourself look bad now. Forgive me for the cliche but you're starting to sound like a broken record. You've posted basically the same two or three sentences half a dozen times in a number of threads. Not once have you presented any real information to support your... opinion, on what's happening in the world.

Btw, if we had REALLY wanted Castro dead, he'd be dead. Castro played a small but signifigant role in the Cold War which benefited both the U.S. and to a lesser degree the Soviet Union. Prior attempts on his life did not need to be and may never have been intended to be successful. These days, he's not even close to being a big enough threat to even worry about.

I know that we're all fed propaganda in all of our little countries... but I'm starting to think that you believe the garbage that you're being fed.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by fortunate1

Do we really need to have this conversation on yet another thread zcheng? I thought we already discussed the difference between reality and fantasy as well as the concept of ridiculous corellations. You're just making yourself look bad now. Forgive me for the cliche but you're starting to sound like a broken record. You've posted basically the same two or three sentences half a dozen times in a number of threads. Not once have you presented any real information to support your... opinion, on what's happening in the world.

I have presented my opinion my most threads. My short posts are mainly to expose or ridicule the inconsistence or hypocrisy of posts.

As to this explosion, I believe it is US black ops. The former train station explosion is failed US assasin attempt.

You need to use your brain to use logical conclusions. You need to see through the cloud laid by spin masters.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I also think that this is a US black-ops operation, I posted this on another thread...

I think we can all agree that facts are few and far between in this case. What we do know for sure is;

A large mushroom cloud appeared suddently about 11.23 local time on 9/9/2004 which happens to be NK National Day

The cloud appeard directly over or near to semi-secret army installations that appear to be related to NK's ICBM program

No radiation has yet been reported

There have been no credible statements by NK admiting an accident or a nuclear test.

The explosion appears to have been above ground due to the crater and mushroom cloud and was very close (30km) to the China border.

Mr Powell (god bless 'em!) makes a thinly vailed statement hinting that it would not be hard for someone to cause such an explosion intentionally. This is unusual because he has 'left the door open' for people to speculate if the US was behind it

News stories circulated last year of the carcass of a NK ICBM found in Alaska. This was denied in the US media but was actually debated in the South Korean parliment, adding a great deal of weight to the story. times.hankooki.com...

I think I know where this story is heading......

Also we should allremeber the mysterious underground explosion at a Syrian missile fuel facility last year.......www.nti.org...

[edit on 12-9-2004 by Rialto]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   

North Korean officials have announced that a huge explosion in its remote Northeast was part of a hydroelectric project.

visiting British Foreign Office minister Bill Rammell that the blast was the deliberate demolition of a mountain for the project.

Moving Mountains

Moving mountains for a hydroelectric project? Isn't North Korea interested more in NUCLEAR power?

When and why was visiting British Foreign Office minister Bill Rammell in country to begin with? North Korea has somewhat of a distaste for Brits and Americans. It takes months, sometimes years, especially for dignitaries, to arrange a meeting within NK. I surmise that

(a) NK made a serious boo-boo and needs a bit of help, or
(b) they wanted someone from the western world to see what their capabilities really are. . . As NK is notoriously and distastrously self-sufficient, they aren't the assistance-needed type. Kim has it in his head that they have everything they need within his borders. So I think this is him displaying his new toy for all the world to know about, but for only our Governments to see.

I STILL think he's got Bush by the Kuh Ho Nays, that somehow Kim has found an ace in his weathered deck of cards, and that perhaps Bush is begging him to wait until after the election to "move another mountain."

dot.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Moving mountains for a hydroelectric project? Isn't North Korea interested more in NUCLEAR power?

Why would they settle for a fission bomb when they could make a fission/fusion bomb just about as easily? Having good hydroelectric plants is a precursor to deriving deutronium (heavy hydrogen) needed for making an H-bomb. There�s some food for thought.

Of course they could skip all that and make tritium in a reactor, but who wants to deal with the radioactivity?

top topics

join