It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Hundreds Threaten Suicide At Microsoft Supplier Plant In China

page: 2
20
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Is your x-box worth the suffering of fellow human beings?

Maybe not hey?




posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Seriously??
If this company was in the USA or in the UK and people were threatening to kill themselves over lost wages EVERYBODY on this site would be calling them dickheads.
Same factory in China and suddenly it seems like we all assume that they will do it??
Come on, are they pi$$ed? Yeah I bet they are, will they kill themselves?? Do I really need to ask that??
Sensationalized rubbish.



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JJRichey
 


One would think, but that fruit vendor in Tunasia did the same thing and started a spring most will not soon forget. These chinese workers work for pennies (sometimes 16 hours a day 7 days a week) and in terrible conditions so that they might be able to buy some rice. They are slaves, no ways around that. Unfortunately some believe that because you receive a wage then that means you couldn't be a slave which isn't true.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms
 


Have you been to China??
Seen the working conditions? Talked to workers?
I have
edit on 11/1/2012 by waveydavey because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by waveydavey
 

Here is a study of UK farmers alone who have taken their lves because of EU regulations etc.

Funny isnt it



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I think we need nets like that where I used to work in Detroit.

Except it was a single story building... And there were no windows or roof access.

What kind of buildings do they work in, in China?



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB
 


I wasn't laughing?!?!?!



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by waveydavey
 


I was speaking in general. Not sure if you were implying that this specific case isn't like what I mentioned but obviously if a whole group is contemplating commiting suicide over wages that might clue one in that things aren't exactly rosey.



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by waveydavey
 


You stated they would be called dickheads here, but that is not the case as there are serious concerns in the UK alone on various work sectors with high suicide rates to justify serious academic research.

The Chinese should be taken seriously when they threaten this type of action as it is part of their culture and mindset to carry out suicide in certain circumstances.

It would not be an idle threat coming from them and I am sure they would indeed do it if pushed. It would serve as a serious punch in the face to the various companies that exploit their labour. And, in China this type of activism is all they have left.

Sorry to single you out, but some of the flippant remarks pissed me off

I appologise



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms
 


I would imagine that its more of a clever ploy to put pressure on the company to claw back what they are due.
Not through actually killing themselves but by cleverly threatening the one thing that would guarantee immediate worldwide attention, it worked.
Have they got their money back? Who knows, but now the world is looking at foxconn.



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Those Chinese workers should make an Xbox knockoff that WORKS and put Microsoft out of business.

Why hasn't China made its own gaming system yet?



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by waveydavey
 


Looks more like desperation than simply a strategy/tactic like you seem to be making it out to be. You don't threaten to commit suicide in large numbers with like minded individuals as a ploy because it can backfire and you might get called on your bluff.

This isn't a teenager speaking about suicide or causing a flesh wound for attention, it's a group of people. It's also in a country known for it's human rights abuses and poor working conditions. Sorry logic surpasses alleged firsthand experience.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
reply to post by waveydavey
 


Looks more like desperation than simply a strategy/tactic like you seem to be making it out to be. You don't threaten to commit suicide in large numbers with like minded individuals as a ploy because it can backfire and you might get called on your bluff.

This isn't a teenager speaking about suicide or causing a flesh wound for attention, it's a group of people. It's also in a country known for it's human rights abuses and poor working conditions. Sorry logic surpasses alleged firsthand experience.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)


Exactly!

Think about.....if you are living in poverty, subject to truly crappy working conditions, depression sets in because of the damage to your pride from not being able to care for your family, the company promises you money....then spits in your face, sprinkle in some religious beliefs about the after life and .....well, I would not be so quick to call it a bluff.

Truly if the company thought it was a bluff, the could have installed a spiked iron fence rather than nets around the buildings.



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I blame the shareholders/owners of foxconn, I hope they are proud of themselves.
A huge number of people are working for these parasites just to sit there accumulating wealth while even in the uk millions are working and still below the poverty line. Millions claim benefits to top up their wages. If I was those in china I would burn the factory down and then commit suicide.



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by allintoaccount
 


good idea

Perhaps we should drop them a line??

www.foxconn.com...


For more information on our Social Responsibility efforts, please email us at WebAdmin@foxconn.com.



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by waveydavey
Same factory in China and suddenly it seems like we all assume that they will do it??
Come on, are they pi$$ed? Yeah I bet they are, will they kill themselves?? Do I really need to ask that??
Sensationalized rubbish.


You do realise the October pay rise was offered in response to the increasing number of suicides that did actually happen, don't you?

www.guzer.com...

So yes, you "really need to ask that".



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
HAHAHAHA!!!1
China needs a union it seems!
Maybe some of these jobs will come back to the US, let em jump.






No one deserves death over wanting a better future for themselves or there family.
I hate to tell ya but the same corrupt bast*ards that control there lives also control our lives.




edit on 11-1-2012 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by allintoaccount
I blame the shareholders/owners of foxconn, I hope they are proud of themselves.
A huge number of people are working for these parasites just to sit there accumulating wealth while even in the uk millions are working and still below the poverty line. Millions claim benefits to top up their wages. If I was those in china I would burn the factory down and then commit suicide.


Why not blame yourself instead or is every item that you interact with made in a happy factory located in fairytale land. Sure, burn the place down and they'll build another on top of your ashes.

I think stories like can help to improve conditions for workers in foreign countries. They get treated worse than cattle, rise up and demand higher wages and safer working conditions. Big employers like Foxconn don't want the negative press and negotiate. The process will continue until the workers feel they are being treated fairly.

Mass suicide is way too drastic but, I can't say that I've worked in conditions like they do.



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
reply to post by JJRichey
 


One would think, but that fruit vendor in Tunasia did the same thing and started a spring most will not soon forget. These chinese workers work for pennies (sometimes 16 hours a day 7 days a week) and in terrible conditions so that they might be able to buy some rice. They are slaves, no ways around that. Unfortunately some believe that because you receive a wage then that means you couldn't be a slave which isn't true.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)


I think your reply is stereotypical to 20yrs ago but I'm not sure it applies to today. China has accomplished a lot and the world really has no Idea because China has kept MSM out of the mix.
By no means am I arguing with you, I just have to wonder how much of what we know about China is true:::good or bad...
Here in the good old USA people would jump all over $8hr + double shift = $128 strait time right now I will stick my hand up at that....and I am white....where would the ACLU or the Union Boss be then? not dialing my phone to get the story



posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
while we are comparing USA to China ,,,how many men/ women have killed themselves right here do to out of work, no work, hopeless demoralization I bet we have a good count here its just a hidden # ....come on ,,,any takers



new topics

top topics



 
20
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join