It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outgoing Mississippi governor issues nearly 200 pardons

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tribaltrip

Without going into too much detail...my crime was a non-violent crime...did not involve drugs...no weapons...nothing like that...so to withhold my gun rights and my voting rights seems silly.

Since my release from prison I have attended college...completed two degrees...and work full time with addicted offenders in a local rehabilitation facility in my community...so there is hope for some!

Automatically upon my completion of parole...I am considered for a pardon...but in my case...denied!

So I have to wonder what the logic was in these 200 cases...if it truly is justified...good on the governor...but if it wasn't then I have a real issue with at least some of these pardons!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Ok I read the CNN article more carefully. 4 of the inmates who were given full pardons were trustees who worked at the governor's mansion. These would be the landscaping and construction crew who got the mansion in tip top shape, for far less of a cost than it would be to hire contractors to do the labor. All the governor had to do is provide the tools. I wonder what all the others who were released unconditionally did for the ol' governor!

Barbour's spokeswoman declined Tuesday to comment on the pardons, which sparked outrage among victims' families.

Four men who were convicted of murder and received full pardons last week were released Sunday, said Suzanne Singletary, spokeswoman for the Mississippi Department of Corrections. David Gatlin, Joseph Ozment, Charles Hooker and Anthony McCray were all serving life sentences and worked as inmate trusties at the governor's mansion, she said.

edit on 1/11/2012 by InFriNiTee because: added ex-text

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

Without going into too much detail...my crime was a non-violent crime...did not involve drugs...no weapons...nothing like that...so to withhold my gun rights and my voting rights seems silly.

I agree 100% there. There are states that after a person has completed their terms to the DOC that they can be able to buy a rifle and bow and arrow for hunting. Handguns are never allowed to felons in those states. I think the states right off the top of my head are Montana and Alaska, but you'd have to check to be sure.

I know that a convicted felon in the state of Montana is allowed to vote, as long as they are complying with the terms that the court has laid out if they are on probation. My friend Steve was able to vote in 2008.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Free all the pot smokers. Leave the murderers and child molesters in jail.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by InFriNiTee

I agree 100% there. There are states that after a person has completed their terms to the DOC that they can be able to buy a rifle and bow and arrow for hunting. Handguns are never allowed to felons in those states. I think the states right off the top of my head are Montana and Alaska, but you'd have to check to be sure.

I know that a convicted felon in the state of Montana is allowed to vote, as long as they are complying with the terms that the court has laid out if they are on probation. My friend Steve was able to vote in 2008.

The idea of a prison sentence originally was to pay a debt to society...debtors prisons back in the day!

So once your debt is repaid...a person should be eligible to resume their life for sure!

A pardon allows these fellows to do just that...start their life as if nothing ever happened.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
They must have built quite the reputation with the governor. I think a cool direction to take this thread would be to see if we can find pictures of the governor's mansion interior and exterior from as early as we can find pics, up to the most recent. That will show what the trustee's did for the governor. They may have done such a superb job according to the plans that the gov had laid out, that he decided to go to a psychiatrist and say "I think these individuals have rehabilitated. Why don't you run your tests on them, and if everything checks out, give me the paperwork (with the inmates HIPPA permission, of course!). Then the governor added the psychiatrist's verdict to the case file of each inmate before their pardons. All speculation, but I think it's plausible.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

Here you go...a starting point for you!

mdah.state.ms.us...

I was just reporting the news...but sounds like a good idea!
edit on 11-1-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Wow it's like the Taj Mahal of America!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I'm just wondering how closely they tracked the renovations as they were completed. It would be interesting if a group like the infamous Anonymous was to get all the records of what the state coffers spent on upgrades over the years. Come to think of it, you might not even need them. If someone on ATS happens to be from Jackson Mississippi, they might be able to go into the county records in the Jackson Library and take photos of all the expenditures on the upgrades over the years, to share them with ATS. I'm sure that labor contracting for many of the upgrades didn't factor highly into the costs of the actual upgrades! Oh if I just lived in Jackson Mississippi! I would document it all. I bet their materials cost FAR exceeded labor.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Gov. Haley Barbour wanted to be our next President too! He's been governing by proxy most of his two terms from Washington kissing Republican ass but funny he comes back every now and then to do this crap.

I live in MS, just outside Jackson, MS and I can tell you I want to leave this state, I hate it here, always have. Backwards, Redneck etc.....

By the, way, the Gov.'s Mansion is gorgeous but the streets of Jackson are all in disrepair. It's a frikkin shame.

Found a video for this story. Doesn't make any damn sense to me at all.

related article: Gov. Barbour Pardons Four Killers

MS Library Commission
for further info.
edit on 11-1-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

Seems you video has been disabled...

Let me try this one:

Seems like as soon as I post a video that has anything to do with it...it gets disabled...go figure!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Thanks.

I was going to put your second video up but thought the language was over the top.

But, he's mad and he should be. WTF!!!!! It's the right thing to say. Or as Haley Barbour likes to say: "It don't mean diddly."

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Haley B is a big time REPUBLICAN!

I can't believe that this has not been big news in the MSM where a republican gov pardoned this many criminals. remember the "Willie Horton" fake outrage by the right wingers during the presidential contest between Michael Dukakis HW Bush

I bet we won't here ole Rush or Boortz talking about this ..

is more ammo for the Dems during a presidential election year

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
How can anyone pardon David Gatlin?

The 40-year-old Gatlin was sentenced to life in prison in the 1993 slaying of Tammy Ellis Gatlin and the shooting of Randy Walker, her long-time friend.

Walker's mother, Glenda Walker, said Monday that Gatlin shot his estranged wife while she was holding their young baby, then shot her son in the head.

"He left that little baby on his dead mother's body," Glenda Walker said. "It was a horrendous murder."

Source: Haley Barbour Pardons David Gatlin, Convicted Murderer

Pardon people who deserve it, those who made a simple mistake - not psychopathic cold-blooded murderers. This man should have fried for this crime.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaphneApollo

Thanks.

I was going to put your second video up but thought the language was over the top.

But, he's mad and he should be. WTF!!!!! It's the right thing to say. Or as Haley Barbour likes to say: "It don't mean diddly."

Well the language in my opinion is acurate...so it should be okay!

For the most part he is right...we should be upset...and from the sounds of it Mississippi is a bit upset as a whole...so why not let it be heard?

I say
to this fellow for bringing it as it is...raw or otherwise!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaphneApollo

Thanks.

Well the language in my opinion is acurate...so it should be okay!

For the most part he is right...we should be upset...and from the sounds of it Mississippi is a bit upset as a whole...so why not let it be heard?

I say
to this fellow for bringing it as it is...raw or otherwise!

Yes, MS is very upset. At first I didn't even know that the man that was shot in the head lived
But now, you have a witness living that saw this man kill his wife holding their 2 month old baby and that baby still clinging to her dead body.

How in the hell can this happen? There's a reason that MS ranks 50th in the nation and it's DoDo heads like this which bring it down.

David Gatlin should have fried, yes indeed. That video was very appropriate I'm glad you put it up.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This video should also put more perspective on the Outrageous Pardons done in this state. The Scot sisters.

The Scot sisters had been sentenced to serve two life sentences for armed robbery in which no one was killed mind you. Stole only $11.00 during the robbery. They served fifteen years only after many letters, rally cries got them out, BUT THEY ARE STILL NOT PARDONED, they are out on parole only. This state is as I've said Backwards.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

David Gatlin should have fried, yes indeed. That video was very appropriate I'm glad you put it up.

I think this is where this thread should be headed...an early release or a pardon is far from acceptable!

What could the good (dare I say good) governor have had in mind when he granted pardons like this?

There is something very wrong with the system when we as a state, nation, etc...free a man like this with a full pardon from the governor...but shhh...don't make a big deal of it...it might be justified.

Yep...BS...this man should never be released into society...unfortunately...he has been...now we deal with it I suppose!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

They must not like you posting videos either...

Let's see if it works for me.

Thats funny...as soon as I got this one up...your works too!

I'll leave mine up just in case...of something happening...who knows what!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I always test my videos before posting and it worked, but nothing would surprise me.

Just the prior videos I didn't test. As soon as I don't, it won't work.

BTW S&F.
There's no lack of Stupid things Politicians do these days and they should come to light. Now they've voted in Phil Bryant who was his Lieutenant Governor (aka: just like Barbour) God help us?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join