It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tallying the reality of Obama’s success By Donna Brazile Daily Herald 1/11/12

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
There is the possibility that if we finally do have a President in office that is going up against the big boys they are going to lam blast him as much as possible and just like Bush with his many lies the average person will believe it. Below and I’m sure I’ll get banned or most of this will be removed are what Obama has done for the 99%.
My guess is ATS is predominantly Republican or Right Wing Conservative.
I’ve checked into all the mentioned things and Ms. Brazile is correct, we do, at present seem to have a President that has done more in his 4 years than the last one did in his 8 plus he has been shackled at the ankles with a pretend Democratic Congress – the southern Democrats are really Republicans wearing Democrat badges.
The Corporations and Banks are coming under more scrutiny than ever before and because they own the press, rarely do we get a glimpse of what Obama has accomplished.
As far as war, it takes awhile to end one – and again, the entire step of the way, Obama has had to fight with a Congress that just keeps getting in the way of Obama trying to get what the people want done.
Source for article below: www.dailyherald.com...

Tallying the reality of Obama’s success
By Donna Brazile – Daily Herald January 11,2012
In the depths of the Watergate scandal, a persistent theory emerged that President Richard Nixon would cancel the 1972 election. It became so rampant that The Washington Post ran a story headlined, “The Anatomy of a Rumor.”
The core of the story was that for a rumor to have legs — for it to circulate and frame the dialogue — there must be a “predisposition to believe it.”
My thoughts went back to the Watergate rumor when a colleague sent me a compilation of President Obama’s accomplishments. The misperception, given legs by the both mainstream and partisan media outlets, is that Mr. Obama has accomplished very little. This is a myth, a false rumor reinforced by a predisposition — or prejudice — to believe it.
On Jan. 16, 2009 (four days before Obama’s inauguration), conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh told his listeners, “I hope Obama fails.” Limbaugh’s craving became a verbal reflex, a consummation devoutly to be wished.
Before long, prominent politicians repeated Limbaugh’s “fail” refrain like a schoolyard chant. Truth be damned, during the last Republican debate in Iowa, a line of presidential candidates declared Obama had failed.
Actually, Obama is succeeding. I myself didn’t realize the extent of his accomplishments until a colleague referred me to several Internet sources that have compiled extensive lists.
As we enter the silly season where the media focus is on nonstop election coverage, it’s helpful to recall some of the facts. The Obama presidency is responsible for:
• The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, creating 2.1 million jobs and firing up the economy by a significant 3.5 percent.
• The Helping Families Save Their Homes Act, which helped to stabilize the housing market and fight homelessness.
• The Dodd-Frank law — likely the largest and most comprehensive Wall Street reform since the Great Depression.
• The “CARD Act” to protect consumers from deceptive bank credit card practices.
• The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act constructed to stop pay discrimination against women and other workers.
• A law that allows the government to close offshore tax-avoidance loopholes.
• Tax credits to first-time homebuyers, which helped the U.S. housing market.
• A $15 billion plan that provides increased lending for small businesses.
• Expanded funding for the Violence Against Women Act.
• State aid to prevent thousands of teachers, police and firefighters from losing their jobs.
• The auto industry rescue plan, which saved one million jobs and reinvigorated Midwest manufacturing. These firms have since returned to private hands and taxpayer money has been fully recovered.
Beyond legislation, Obama used his executive authority to:
• Freeze White House staff salaries
• Create the post of chief performance officer, charged with making government operations more efficient and saving taxpayer money.
• Order 65 Wall Street executives who took bailout money to reduce their own pay until the funds were paid back in full to the federal government.
• Negotiate an unprecedented deal that gives the U.S. access for the first time ever to Swiss bank records of criminals and tax evaders.
• Recover TARP money and pass it along to local housing finance agencies in California, Florida, Nevada, Arizona and Michigan to fund homebuying.
• Obama created more jobs in 2010 alone than Bush did in eight years.
President Obama has been just as successful in foreign affairs:
• His leadership at the G-20 Summit created a $1.1 trillion fund to combat the global financial crisis.
• President Obama visited more countries and met with more world leaders than any previous president during his first six months in office.
• He created a comprehensive new strategy for dealing with the international nuclear threat.
• President Obama directed the efforts that killed Osama bin Laden and 27 of 32 top al-Qaida leaders in three years.
• President Obama ended the Iraq War, and put into action his working plan to achieve Afghanistan War goals and to draw down our troops.
• His new foreign policy strategy directed the U.N. and NATO to take the lead in saving thousands of Libyan citizens from slaughter.
Let me add my own: Obama has carried out an unrelenting campaign to stop Iran from developing nuclear weapons including countermeasures and crippling sanctions. As a result, despite the Republican rumor, Obama has made Israel the safest it’s been since 2000.
After three years, that’s quite a list of accomplishments — and it’s only a partial list, a sampling. (To read them all, Google “The PCTC blog.”)
Would that congressional Republicans were less interested in blocking good bills and more interested in rebuilding and strengthening America — and in sharing in the success. Call me an optimist, but I’m predisposed to believe it can happen, and it’s my dearest hope for the new year.
© 2012, United Features Syndicate Inc.
Source: www.dailyherald.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Wow, apparently her sources have not kept abreast of our current state of affairs.
Housing is still down, and falling. In my area alone, most counties home sales are down 4 - 5% with selling prices down 7-8%. Not what I would call a housing recovery. Unemployment (which was not supposed to go above 8% with passage of the recovery act) is at an official, artificial, 8.5%. Unofficially, and more realistic, at 25%. Saving homes? Really? Apparently she hasn't kept informed of the foreclosure rates now has she? Tax credits for home buyers? That just added to the deficit, which by the way has grown more under Obama than any other president in history. I think she needs to go and get real information and quit basing her article on Internet sources.

Sorry, no S&F for you.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Nothing personal but the author of the article is rather ill informed on many issues detailed in the story. She also left out quite a bit as well. Too much for me to detail right now.

However, with regards to her statement that Obama guided NATO and the UN in regards to the handling of LIbya is complete hogwash. The Obama Doctrine that was revealed with that action is directly connected to a group that is actually calling the shots and giving direction to the UN NATO and Obama.

Its called the Responsibility to Protect doctrine and this group was founded in 2009. Obama has modeled his foreign policy based on their tenets. R2P as they are know was created by another group known as the INternational Crisis Group which has been operating behind the scenes for over a decade. Welcome to the NWO.

www.responsibilitytoprotect.org...

www.crisisgroup.org...

Keep your eyes on Syria!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Not only that, but the French led the assault on Libya. We came in late to that party.
Amazing how people will reach for straws and stretch the truth to make that evil bastard look good.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
He ended the war in Iraq? I thought the date for withdrawal was predetermined during the Bush era?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

You call doubling the annual defecit a success? Look at all those accomplishments that are listed...every single one of them costs money, sh*t isn't free you know. Maybe instead of listing his successful bills they should of listed how much it all costs.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
My guess is ATS is predominantly Republican or Right Wing Conservative.

Naaaah .... ATS is predominantly against who ever is corrupt and in charge ... be it democrat or republican.
You should have seen the anti-Bush43 threads when he was in.
You'll see tons of Anti-Romney threads when he gets in as well.

at present seem to have a President that has done more in his 4 years than the last one did in his 8

Sure .. Mr. 'peace prize' has bombed more countries than Bush43 and has spent us further in debt ... absolutely.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
He ended the war in Iraq? I thought the date for withdrawal was predetermined during the Bush era?

In 2007, Dubya said that the wars would be something the next president would have to deal with.

Iraq is dealt with.......soon Afghanistan will be too.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik

Wow, apparently her sources have not kept abreast of our current state of affairs.
Housing is still down, and falling. In my area alone, most counties home sales are down 4 - 5% with selling prices down 7-8%. Not what I would call a housing recovery. Unemployment (which was not supposed to go above 8% with passage of the recovery act) is at an official, artificial, 8.5%. Unofficially, and more realistic, at 25%. Saving homes? Really? Apparently she hasn't kept informed of the foreclosure rates now has she? Tax credits for home buyers? That just added to the deficit, which by the way has grown more under Obama than any other president in history. I think she needs to go and get real information and quit basing her article on Internet sources.

Sorry, no S&F for you.

Obama is in deep trouble. When the February unemployment rate comes out, it will
jump back above 9%. All of the US Military veterans being downsized at the pentagon
will be unable to find work.
-------
However, Mitt Romney is also in deep trouble. Numbers don't lie. His company
Bain Capital behaved like Gordon Gecko during the 1980s. According to Newt,
Bain Capital invested $30 Million in a small company but took out $180 Million
and shutdown the company. That threw 1,700 people out of work.

They are called Corporate Raiders. Throw in a DVD called Wall Street.
Gordon Gecko tried to turn Blue Star Airlines upside down and have a garage sale.
- Raid the over funded pension plan and cash in. -
edit on 11-1-2012 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Shhhhhhh! Your not supposed to bring truth into the argument.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321

Shhhhhhh! Your not supposed to bring truth into the argument.

Yes, that is the truth. President George W. Bush made the announcement that the USA
will pull out of Iraq at the end of 2011.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Yup, I know, I remember seeing on the news while President Bush was still in office. Same with the earlier troop withdrawl that obama took credit for even though it was according to President Bush's time table.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Donna Brazile.

Wasn't she Al Gore's campaign manager when he ran?

Isn't she a shill on MSNBC now?

Will ponder her "statements after a bit, but just wanted to preface anything I write.

She is as partisan as Keith Olbermann after a hangover and a conservative victory combined with a Tea Party bash in the apartment next door!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Donna Brazile.

Wasn't she Al Gore's campaign manager when he ran?

Isn't she a shill on MSNBC now?

Will ponder her "statements after a bit, but just wanted to preface anything I write.

She is as partisan as Keith Olbermann after a hangover and a conservative victory combined with a Tea Party bash in the apartment next door!

According to Rush Limbaugh, they are all DNC hacks.
Donna Brazile let it slip out that the DNC WANTS to run against Mitt Romney.

Mitt Romney = Gordon Gekko

David Axelrod is creating Corporate Raider ads right now.

SM2

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
well, this was a funny article to read. very entertaining. lets comb through it and see just how great it is, I will just hit on some of the bog ones.

1.The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, creating 2.1 million jobs and firing up the economy by a significant 3.5 percent.

Wow, 3.5 percent eh? isnt this the bill that when passed Obama said unemployment would never reach 6%? I guess from a certain point of view he was correct, it hasnt seen 6% real unemployment when taking into consideration the underemployed and the people that have just given up is still well over 10%.

2. The Dodd-Frank law — likely the largest and most comprehensive Wall Street reform since the Great Depression.

To qoute Herman Cain on this one, "there is only two things wrong with Frank-Dodd....Barney Frank and Chris Dodd." Lets add yet more fees, taxes, regulations and government agencies to stifle the economic growth so that that the government can steal even mor emoney from individuals and businesses. Great idea guys, keep em flowing.

3.State aid to prevent thousands of teachers, police and firefighters from losing their jobs.

while this one looks good on the outside, it should be called the "kickback to my supporters bill version 2.0"

4. The auto industry rescue plan, which saved one million jobs and reinvigorated Midwest manufacturing. These firms have since returned to private hands and taxpayer money has been fully recovered.

Yeah this worked out great, lets see, make Chrysler sell itself to an Italian auto maker, Take over GM and fire their CEO (since when can the president fire someone working for a private company?) then give the majority of the stocks to the union which is the primary culprit to the revenue issues within the auto industry, makes sense, seeing as though those area gain Obama's supporters, Gotta give that kick back to get relected ya know, oh yeah, hows that mandated chevy volt working out for ya?

5. Freeze White House staff salaries.

He may have said that, but then gave everyone big fat raises, then hired even more staff.

6.• Obama created more jobs in 2010 alone than Bush did in eight years

Yeah, ok, this one is just hilarious. they estimated that figure and it came to light that they figured things like a company would hire 100 new employees on a permanent basis to make 250 pairs of boots. Then calculated more government jobs into it. More government jobs and hey, even some more government jobs. I know, lets just make everyone work for the government great idea.

Lets not forget, expanded the DHS, the patriot act extensions, assassinating US citizens, the new defense authorization act that will allow them to indefinitely detain a us citizen without any proof, fast and furious, all the nice little flight him and moochelle take on the taxpayers dime. saying recess appointments are a very bad abuse of power then making dozens of them, circumventing congress with the libya thing, cramming the healthcare bill down the throats of Americans even when we did not want it as a majority. Continuing where his buddy Bush left off with the dismantling of the constitution. So yeah, I guess he did accomplish a lot.

People deserve the government they elect i guess.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SM2

Dodd-Frank needs to get repealed.

I read this is where the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau came from.

The liberals are getting smarter. Forget the US Congress. Get the funding for the CFPB
from the Federal Reserve!

We may have to abolish the Federal Reserve to discover all of this secret funding!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Is anyone going to try to dispute these with facts backed up by credible sources???

Or are we just supposed to believe all of you when you say "no he didn't"????

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Doesn't take long for the leftists to come out.

Why should we? She apparently didn't either. Internet sources? Really?

here:

Bush and the Iraq Pullout

Real Unemployment 20%

There's two right off the bat. No need to post more as her credibility just went out the window, and hopefully along with Nobama in November.
edit on 1/11/2012 by haarvik because: (no reason given)

SM2

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Is anyone going to try to dispute these with facts backed up by credible sources???

Or are we just supposed to believe all of you when you say "no he didn't"????

ok, since you insist someone do the leg work, here we go...

On the unemployment rate
www.zerohedge.com...

new government agencies

this list here is just from the healthcare bill...150ish new agencies and boards.
www.carolinapatriots.org...

eleven new agencies with Frank dodd bill
www.gao.gov...

Honestly, I should not have to post any references for the kickbacks given to the unions, it is common knowledge that UAW received the majority of stocks in the GM deal, however, since some folks have the blinders on....
theblogprof.blogspot.com...

that link has links to other articles pertaining to the situation.

Is this enough, or would you like me to read them aloud as well?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Doesn't take long for the leftists to come out.

Why should we? She apparently didn't either. Internet sources? Really?

here:

Bush and the Iraq Pullout

Real Unemployment 20%

There's two right off the bat. No need to post more as her credibility just went out the window, and hopefully along with Nobama in November.
edit on 1/11/2012 by haarvik because: (no reason given)

More numbers for you.

According to government statistics, if the same number of people were working today that
were working in 2007 the unemployment rate would be 11%.

The only reason the unemployment rate is 8.5% is because millions of Americans have
simply given up and dropped out of the work force.

All of the political spin in the world can't cover up that specific truth.

I predict February 2012 will be a bad month for Obama.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join