It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we need to teach children about death?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

A few years ago there was this toy Tamagoshi...or something...This was a digital animal that needed in a simulated way to be fed and paid attention to by kids....because it is a kids toy.

If tghis toy was not sufficiently attended it would digitally die. Because some kids forgot to take it with them on holidays or for what ever reason the toy died with some serious after effects for the kids who got attached to their toy. I was told that there were kids who needed psychiatric counseling after their Tamagoshi died.

Besides the fact that these kids were responsible for the "health" of their "pet" .... what lesson about death would be propperly to be learned from this...?

I think it is a good idea to teach children about death of people and animals when they are at an age able to understand the concept. Just to prepare them for when their granny, pet or for whatever they have strong emotional bonds with will pass away.

edit on 11/1/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I must convince myself that I will die too. Do I? Is it really something that happens with time to all of us? Admit, you can doubt it. Is it really true?

The bible says it is. We all will die cause the first man and female ate the forbidden fruit and now we all die.

I will die? And you don't now untill the time has come? Or you don't even know?? Can't intuition be something to keep you alive? Oh my God.
hihi, an eyeopener!

oh yeah, oh my God.

To be honest, I didn't really thought.. what kind of emotion do I hold to death? What the hell is happening to me?

I suppose I'll survive.... I have issues..

I'll get busy with something else. Thank you guys! I'll return!

xx

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
maybe I'm egoistic.

.. ???
???

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Death is a natural part of life and children need to know about it. Pets die, family members die, children must know what "death" means and they must learn that it is a natural part of life that everything goes through.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Absolutely, children need to know and understand death so as not to fear it.

Death is a part of life. Life will end with death.

They will see, hear, touch, taste, smell and know death.

Isn't it better for the parent to explain it in a more gentle way than the world does?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I remember that toy. If you yelled at it, it became "traumatized" and would hide and cower until you brought it back with "love". I think the idea of that toy is trying to emulate a puppy. We give these pets to our kids and they worm their way into our hearts and then die just about the time they become young adults. I think that's why they were given cuteness, unquestionable love and a short life span. If you like having a dog around, you learn about life and death, love and loss, joy and pain. Good lesson for life.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Do we need to teach children about death

Definately. Children die. Friends of the children die. Parents die. Grandparents die. Pets die.
People die on the TV. People die in books. Animals die to feed us. Plants die to feed us.
Oceans die. Forests die. Stars die. People die in religion (Budda died, Christ died, etc)

Death is all around. DEFINATELY teach about the finality and change that happens with death.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Like most things, kids figure this stuff out on their own. Death is just a natural cycle, but as with most things it's how you go about broaching the subject with them that makes the difference.
I refuse to fear death, and pass that fact along, because I feel so many people in the western world live their lives in fear of their own end, and as a result barely move any more than the dirt it takes to bury them in their lifetimes.
It's the journey that's important, not the beginning or the end, that's what we should be teaching our kids.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
You don't need to teach children about death because the concept is obvious, unless their heads are filled with BS that is. It is vital for children to understand the concept of death, especially its finality, or you will DAMAGE their ability to empathize with other living things, and that leads to damage to society. So no BS please.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

I taught my kids from the age of understanding such concepts(round 5/6) that the real YOU is invisible,like the movie,The Invisible Man,with Kevin Bacon,for instance..that these bodies are conveyances,like a car or truck..The Spirit/Soul needs this conveyance to move around and do things while in this incarnation,on this specific planet..but that when its our time to leave,we leave the conveyance behind..like,we park the car and go into the house..the house being the Afterlife/Heaven/Realm between incarnations,etc according to your own belief system,whatever it may be..they understand that,and you can always elaborate on this as they get older.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join