It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please give me hand to fix my WMP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Because suspicious of too many codecs for WMP installed causing it run slowly, I uninstalled all codecs for WMP and reinstalled only media player codecs.
After this action, when I am going to play mkv media file with right click, a pop windows show me no authority to visit this file.
Now all mkv files were unable to play by WMP unless I openned WMP manually and through "file"->"open"->find the mkv media file I want to play, then I can watch it.
Could you possibly teach me how to fix my right click manual for WMP to play mkv? Iam sure that media player codecs does work perfectly with all media file format by right click.
Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I have a suggestion for you. Forget WMP for anything besides Windows specific files. Try out VLC, it's free and can play darn near any media file out there.
Check it out

VLC media player

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by exdog5

Just here to back up your support of the vlc media player I use it all the time have now for a few yrs, op I would recommend this also.
And sorry I have no advice to help you with your issue.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by emile

Download K-Lite Mega Codec pack 5.8.3

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema is very good too.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I've tried every codecs so that is why so many codecs been installed, then I got the BEST codecs for WMP, which is Media Player Codecs. Certainly I have something else to play but I don't want to install other player since I have no idea how to uninstall WMP under Vista, Seem no way to remove WMP under Vista?
Besides, I do not want to delete WMP roughly like delete file fold or some way alike, uninstall it by program is the way I do on PC.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by emile

You dont have to remove wmp, just install VLC and K-lite and your good to go. You can play ANYTHING with that combo.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Hes not having problems PLAYING the file, just opening it.

Right click on the mkv file, select "Open With" and then select "Choose default program..." - this should bring up a selection of applications to open it with. Select Windows Media Player.

It seems that some other application has taken over the mkv association.

You dont need to install klm or vlc, unless you want an entirely different player (vlc) and codecs that from what you said, you dont need.

If you can open the MKV files manually from inside WMP then you have the codecs required to play it.

edit> as to the no authority, thats something I've never heard of. Right clicking should give you options to play, add to playlist etc, cut copy delete etc, and one option "Open with."

If you've lost all association with the mkv file by uninstalling codecs, reassociating it with wmp should work.

edit on 11-1-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by emile

While I can't help you with WMP, I can suggest another software.

www.gomlab.com...

It's 100% free, the codecs are easy as pie to install, and I have never had any problems with it whatsoever. I also find it to have in incredible amount of advanced features (much more than any other media player I've used), and I find it to be faster to start up when opening a file, and more user friendly than WMP. I've yet to see a file type that GOM won't play/recognize.

But preference of media players are really all just a matter of opinion, so if you are a dedicated WMP user, then by all means, stick with it

Hope this helps, and good luck!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
this may help with your problem and many more to come.i know cause i just used it to fix windows update problems.download microsoftfixit50461.msi there are over 200 problems that windows will fix for free or at least give solutions to.
good luck

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Thanks to all mates above, problem solved by setting WMP as default player with right click into "open it with".

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup
reply to post by exdog5

Just here to back up your support of the vlc media player I use it all the time have now for a few yrs, op I would recommend this also.
And sorry I have no advice to help you with your issue.

VLC Player, highly recommended! I have used it for years now. And, it doesn't send your info to Microsoft, or save everything you do, like Media Player does. VLC comes with it's own codecs, I have yet you run across a file it cannot play.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by emile

Well you can google search "microsoft fix media player" or just go to there support site...

support.microsoft.com...

the "fix-it" program is pretty effective at resolving issues of microsoft software

On a 2nd note while resolving this issue (and if you dont have virus protection) might as well look up the Microsoft Security Essentials Free Virus Program (it is actually pretty good) cause some virii can mess up WMP

new topics

top topics

join