It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious question. Why haven't we returned to the moon?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Puck 22
Another possibility, because I haven't seen it mentioned yet, and it answers several questions.
1st BIG MYSTERY
Why were we racing the Russians to the moon? Was all this just for a propaganda victory?
We saw something on the moon
We knew it was artificial
Russia and the US begin a space race to acquire suspected alien technology
No shame on the thousands of brilliant young men who put us on the moon. Their accomplishments were real. They deserve all the credit they received.
No shame on moon hoaxers who believed they spotted errors in the pics. The pics were phoney and shot here on earth. NASA did not know how much of the view would show alien material and so could not allow live transmissions from the moon and so faked 'moon walk' videos were made
Both sides of the moon hoax argument were right.
2nd BIG MYSTERY
Why did the Soviet Union abandon their space program once we landed? Because we had already recovered the prize we were both chasing. Alien technology? The damn Americans have already picked it up and taken it home.
Follow-up trips made to recover the last of this technology and then....
3rd BIG MYSTERY
Why didn't we go back?
No reason to waste money or time going back. Nothing of any practical value left. Maybe moon rocks but we're not going to spend billions just to chip some samples off what is basically just a giant asteroid.

There was something on the moon the S.U. and the U.S.A. both wanted. We raced. We won. Neither side has any reason to go back now.

No reason to waste money or time going back. Nothing of any practical value left. Maybe moon rocks but we're not going to spend billions just to chip some samples off what is basically just a giant asteroid.

You are right about that, but I will further it...even if we DID find something of practical value, it was too costly to do anything about it at the time anyway.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
If we do go back to the moon, it will most likely be private enterprise, civilian sector. Then again, don't ask me how they plan on dealing with the radiation outside of the Earth's atmosphere. How exactly do you shield yourself from solar radiation, and other anomalies in space....

The billion dollar question.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Puck 22

You sound like you believe in unicorns too. Tell us what the lunar alien cuisine might be, where they get their water, and why aren't there any manufacturing complexes to support the energy infrastructure, transportation, and no indications of communications systems to orchestrate all of this activity. Surly SETI would have detected that by now.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

You can start here to get a bit of understanding of different radiation, and continue on to get information on the shielding necessary for various radiation protection, of which one of my favorites are, sunglasses.

People just throw out the radiation card with little to no understanding of it, like a trump card in a game of spades.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

What on earth are you talking about? What activity? I suggested the possibility of an alien artifact on the moon. Possibly tracked to an impact point or perhaps something ancient photographed during satellite photo mapping.
Now you ask about alien cuisine, water, communications etc. as though I had made reference to some type of alien downtown strip complete with Best Western, Targets and Blockbusters. What post are you reading? Where are you getting this from?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Puck 22

Follow your conversation, we went to the moon to capture alien technology to sort of back engineer for things like, the technological knowhow to maybe someday get to the moon. Isn't that a nice outline of what is proposed?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by krs678
reply to post by celimonster

The US went to the moon the same reason they sent Admiral Byrd to antartica,to search for Nazi vrill technology
imo
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by little1

That is exactly what I'm saying. If we did go, why not go explore once more with our technology? Money isnt an issue with the government. It's not like they are spending it out of their own pockets.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtlantisX99

Originally posted by celimonster
reply to post by AtlantisX99

I highly doubt the government cares for the cost of moon exploration. They've wasted thousand of dollars on useless things.

Well there is the other theory of course, that we are and have been going there ever since, it's just not publicised

Yes, I tend to lean towards that one!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by celimonster
reply to post by little1

That is exactly what I'm saying. If we did go, why not go explore once more with our technology? Money isnt an issue with the government. It's not like they are spending it out of their own pockets.

At this very moment NASA has yet another rover headed towards Mars. This will be the 3rd rover to Mars.
The previous 2 Mars rovers have performed so beautifully and well beyond their expected mission durations.

But the Moon is different. NASA won't spend a penny for a robotic lunar rover. NASA won't spend a dime for a decent camera aboard the GRAIL probes. NASA tells us that taking clear photos of Apollo landing sites is technologically impossible, even with LROC cameras. We all know that NASA enhances images for public consumption. That is why these NASA shadows are so crisp and so clear. Even the most die-hard Apollo cheerleaders will admit that NASA enhances photos for public consumption.

Crisp & clear, like shadowplay!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

I was more " they" as in maybe " grey", jokingly saying that the moon people are returning in 2015-2020.

Yes, the royal, "we". Got that.

I'm totally open to all the ideas why "we, they, grey, whatever...." haven't returned to the moon, I can damn near believe each one, but one, when the truth is out, will do just fine.

Much love
edit on 12-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: Corrected spelling

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

But now to answer your question, "Serious question. Why haven't we returned to the moon?" I will try to summarize this as briefly as possible:

NIXON.

You just made my morning. Have a star.

Nixon is Occam's Razor mate. Occam's bloody razor.
And Cui Bono.

The obvious connection is Nixon because every Apollo manned lunar landing took place under Nixon's presidency and during his first term. A11 through A17.

Don't forget that Richard Nixon's brother, Ed Nixon, was working at Bellcomm under contract for NASA and Ed Nixon was a trained geologist. Ed Nixon hired the Egyptian geologist Farouk El-Baz for Bellcomm. What does Farouk El-Baz say about Apollo photography?

We talked to the Navy. “No, we can’t give you that.” So we knew that we had to wait. “We can improve the balance, and we can tell you a little more about how do you develop it. We’ll send a guy from Kodak to work with you in the photo lab in the processing.” He came and he helped with the photo processing, I would be standing there at the end with Noel [T.] Lamar, who was the head of the photo lab then, and Dick [Richard W.] Underwood was the photo man at NASA. He was from the CIA [Central Intelligence Agency] but joined NASA. Source www.jsc.nasa.gov...

What happens when you mix Richard Nixon, NASA contractors, Ed Nixon, an Egyptian geologist and the CIA? You get a really good conspiracy theory!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
We are going to the moon, and other places as well. Even if there were no resources to plunder, it is a very strategic piece of territory to have.

The reason we don't hear about people going there anymore is because the technology they use is classified.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Sorry for the misunderstanding

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
We are going to the moon, and other places as well. Even if there were no resources to plunder, it is a very strategic piece of territory to have.

The reason we don't hear about people going there anymore is because the technology they use is classified.

I like that idea, good reply. I also heard of teleportation to Mars, Jupiter, etc... Somewhere in the ATS search. Good read. Makes the most sense, but if you don't have a open mind, most will deny the possibility.

Bring the truth!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Even if there were no resources to plunder, it is a very strategic piece of territory to have.

There is no strategic value to the Moon.
You cannot see what is going on, on Earth.
It takes three days to send something back to Earth.
Simple missiles can prevent anything inbound from the Moon.
Simple missiles can deny you any resupply from Earth.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TOMFROMOZ
reply to post by smithjustinb

You state that as fact and here I was all this time, believing that to be a B-Grade Hollywood movie. Boy is my face red haha!
Funny stuff

Haha. I'm glad someone got it. That movie sucked.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Just to clarify, are you asking why we have never sent manned vehicles back to the moon? NASA has been studying the moon using unmanned vehicles like the GRAIL satellites that are mapping the gravity of the moon. (The density of the moon is not spherically symmetrical. One theory I read says the moon was captured and then gobbled-up about 6 natural Earth moons. That created the mass concentrations.)

Manned exploration doesn't make any sense. If China decides to send humans to the moon, then NASA will probably try to do it again. China might do that just to help push the U.S. into bankruptcy. (IMHO)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

I suggested that hypothetically, something obviously manufactured is photographed on the moon or perhaps something known to be artificial is observed to crash into the moon.
You now ask about a source of water, a manufacturing base to support an alien culture, cuisine? A food source for these aliens?
I ask what are you talking about as nowhere in my hypothetical did I imply an alien culture presently exists on the moon.
IF, hypothetically, someone/something (consider unmanned probe) crashes on the moon either today or several thousand years ago why would any of these things, food, water, manufacturing, etc. be required or indicated?

As for your last post, are you implying that because we can now reach the moon using fossil fueled rockets that we would not be interested in recovering a craft tracked entering our system from outside the Ort cloud indicating it is capable of interstellar travel? That seems not much different from saying that alien cultures should be ignored as having invented the ball point pen what could we possibly learn from them.

Forgive me but I can not help but think you are either a troll attempting to instigate an argument, a small child with a limited imagination or simply someone who is not all that bright. But I could be wrong. So let's try again.
What are you talking about?
Aliens currently existing on the moon which I did not in any way suggest?
The silliness of exploring recovered alien technology since we have already discovered anything they might know?
The idea that although we went from hunter/gathers to landing on the moon in ~ 100,000 years the idea that anyone else might have done the same in the preceding billions of years of our history is silly?
Or even if they did they knew enough to recognize that our moon was for some reason off limits or at a minimum should be treated like our state parks leaving no trace of themselves behind when they left?
What exactly are you saying?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

I wouldn't be surprised if that was their next plan of action

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join