It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious question. Why haven't we returned to the moon?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic
I've read that we're supposed to go back between 2015-2020

"We're?". Don't you mean "THEY?"

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
But water is getting scarce on Earth now, and there are signs of millions of gallons of water on the moon. We may go back for that, but otherwise, it's pointless.

Destination: Mars!

/TOA

Water is getting scarce? 75% of earths surface is covered in water, probably the thing on this planet there is most of!
edit on 11-1-2012 by supernova190188 because: Quoted wrong

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by celimonster

The US went to the moon the same reason they sent Admiral Byrd to antartica,to search for Nazi vrill technology
imo

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

We as in my country. But if you want to be nitpicky, then yeah, they.

Same as people that say "we're at war" as they sip their morning latte.
edit on 11-1-2012 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by celimonster
As the title says it, why haven't returned to the moon, if we did go in the first place. We "rushed" up into space to beat Russia, correct? I mean, was that the only reason, inspiration we had? To beat Russia? We have robots going to other planets and what not, but what gives? Curiosity has gotten the best of me and I've researched this question, but just thought I'd make it into a discussion
thanks.

How much did it cost?

Who is going to pay that much to get a few rocks & pics in these times?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by Illustronic
Here's some numbers why mining is ludicrous, and kids today just can't seem to wrap their heads around costs as an acceptable answer. One which I still can't understand.

Total mass of Apollo 15-17 at launch, 6,698,700 lb
Mass to reach earth orbit, ....................260,000 lb
Mass to reach lunar orbit, ....................103,570 lb
Mass to reach lunar surface, .................36,724 lb
Mass at return earth touchdown, ............10,000 lb
Largest returned cargo mass (moon rocks) 244 lb (largest haul Apollo 17)

That has to be some valuable cargo to offset a return of investment. What's that valuable on the moon?

I may be wrong on this but i thought most of the cost of the getting astronauts up to the moon is actually taken up by basically keeping them alive (tech required for this), In todays age, why do we need manned missions? Surely we have (or almost have have) the tech for unmanned mining operations? In theory, we could have solar powered craft bringing loads back to parachute back to earth!

Any submarine has all the tech required to keep people alive in space for weeks.

The issue is pushing the mass required into space from the Earth & ditto from space to the moon & then the moon back into space.

Everything else is relatively easy.
edit on 11/1/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by Illustronic
Here's some numbers why mining is ludicrous, and kids today just can't seem to wrap their heads around costs as an acceptable answer. One which I still can't understand.

Total mass of Apollo 15-17 at launch, 6,698,700 lb
Mass to reach earth orbit, ....................260,000 lb
Mass to reach lunar orbit, ....................103,570 lb
Mass to reach lunar surface, .................36,724 lb
Mass at return earth touchdown, ............10,000 lb
Largest returned cargo mass (moon rocks) 244 lb (largest haul Apollo 17)

That has to be some valuable cargo to offset a return of investment. What's that valuable on the moon?

I may be wrong on this but i thought most of the cost of the getting astronauts up to the moon is actually taken up by basically keeping them alive (tech required for this), In todays age, why do we need manned missions? Surely we have (or almost have have) the tech for unmanned mining operations? In theory, we could have solar powered craft bringing loads back to parachute back to earth!

Any submarine has all the tech required to keep people alive in space for weeks.

The issue is pushing the mass required into space from the Earth & ditto from space to the moon & then the moon back into space.

Everything else is relatively easy.

Just as well you dont run a space program I dont fancy re entry in a sub do you!

Funny how people on here seem to think everything is easy, can I ask if everything is easy what do you do for a living it must be some high paid job say in engineering or science since it's so EASY

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Semicollegiate

Originally posted by SavedOne

Originally posted by little1
i'm going to agree with many other posters...i don't believe for one second that we went to the moon. if we had...we should go back now that we have all this fancy equipment to do tests.

You don't need fancy equipment to determine there's nothing of value on the moon. The fact that we haven't returned is strong evidence that we DID go to the moon. We went, we ran tests, we found nothing of value, and therefore we have no reason to go back. Simple as that.

I am amazed that so many people stubbornly refuse to believe we went to the moon when the evidence is so overwhelming. There has never had one single whistleblower who stepped forward to state that it was a hoax despite it being an enormous program involving tens of thousands of people, it was the most highly publicized and watched event ever and any mistake had it been a ruse would have been caught right away yet there was none, the Russians wanted desperately for us to fail yet they acknowledged the success and congratulated us, for crying out loud we've even sent satellites to the moon in recent years that have photographed the Apollo landing sights on the surface of the moon right down to the astronaut's footprints, what more do you want? Carrying off a hoax of that magnitude would have been infinitely more difficult than sending a spaceship to the moon.

edit on 11-1-2012 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

A satellite picture of astronaut's footprints would be proof that a man walked on the moon.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2012 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

CGI, everyone will just say CGI.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Re-entry in a sub was pretty much what happened.

An un-powered container that got dropped into the sea.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Fact is, NASA had planned 3 more trips to the moon.

Projects like that are not decided on a wimp, right?

When NASA cancelled the Apollo program they had 2 Saturn 5 Rockets ready to go but scraped them later.

That’s a bit like buying 2 Ferrari’s and then scraping them because you like to save the$100 for Gas.

Money was not the real reason behind the cancelation of the Moon missions.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

This is a good image to show the hoax believers

Example below first posted by jra

Or the newer 25cm/pixel lro pic here

Bottom the image from LRO the other from the DAC camera as Apollo 17 left the moon, look at the tracks of the astronauts movements they MATCH!!!

Almost 40 years from top half to bottom half, and the locations equipment match pictures and records taken by the astronauts during the missions.

More pics here and a nice little video.

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
because the moon is a death star alien base where all the abducted people are taken, and the greys told the illuminati we can't go back or they will shoot us with laser guns

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by celimonster

We haven't gone to the moon again because the aliens saw your picture and banned us.

Seriously tho I don't think we've ever been.
Fascinating topic.

Watched and read many hours on the subject.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by n3mesis

Uhhh do the math.
I think each Apollo returned about 200 pounds of rock.
If it were gold that would be 2400 troy ounces.
At $1600 per ounce that would be 3.84 million dollars.

I doubt if Nasa could paint a rocket for 3.8 million. So each mission would lose a few hundred million.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
We didn't go back to the moon because:

1) JFK's goal of getting a man to the moon by the end of the decade was met
2) The race to the moon against the USSR was won
3) The public lost interest and asked why so much money was being spent
4) They only found a bunch of rocks
5) The public lost interest
6) They did not find lunar critters
7) The public lost interest
8) Helium-3 will become valuable when we have fusion reactors, which may not happen until the end of this century if ever
9) We can weaponize space in orbit, no need to put them on the moon
10) We can place telescopes in orbit, no need for lunar telescopes
11) Did I mention the public lost interest?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
It's a good question, one that I always have been perplexed about. Having grown-up during the Apollo moon missions, I have found it to be rather perplexing. Back then, there was talk of building a moon base and possibly having commuters traveling back and forth to the moon.

You would think if we established a base on the moon, we could of built lab facilities and taken advantage of the low gravity to experiment in those conditions. The international space station seems more confined and is at a higher risk of being damaged or destroyed by flying space debris or small meteorites. Granted the space station is taking advantage of a weightlessness environment, but to think about the possibilities of building huge lab facilities on the moon has to be enticing to both scientists and the military.

The moon was barely explored, yet we stopped going there because of the cost? Why didn't the Soviet Union start landing their cosmonauts on the surface of the moon? Did the United States let Russia in on a little secret about the moon? Was the secret so great that the Soviet Union never considered sending a manned mission to the moon?

I remeber there were complaints from the public that the Apollo missions were too expensive. But heck, since when does our government give into the people? Our militiary budget is out of sight, yet our government continues to pump billions of dollars into it.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Not_u_again

Parts are far from ready until they are assembled and fueled in the Vehicle Assembly Building. It doesn't matter what was planed, scraping a mission is far cheaper than proceeding with one. Maybe you never heard of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project, some nicknamed Apollo 18, or the earlier planned cancelled Apollo missions deemed unnecessary. Having some spare parts is far from having a launch ready craft.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by celimonster
Not all Americans want to believe that 911 was an inside job. Like my grandmother denies that the pope is hiding pedophiles.

What I don't understand is, wouldn't we want to explore the moon? From top to bottom instead of just landing, walking around, and putting a freaking flag? Now that wateris becoming scarce we still are doing nothing but liking thru a telescope expecting a sign that says "Hey we have water, come on over"

Haha, aliens would probably destroy us for our humanity being so stupidly greedy.
edit on 11-1-2012 by celimonster because: Spelling

OP, I think you are trolling. Having looked at your first thread attempt earlier this year, you are a hit and run, and are looking for flags.

It is obvious that your real intention is to hate America, and troll for flags. This topic has been discussed dozens of times on this site.

For those who want to see that this OP has no intention of participating in her own threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I highly doubt the government cares for the cost of moon exploration. They've wasted thousand of dollars on useless things.

Your comment that the American Government didn't stop the Moon landings because they waste money anyway, is total rubbish. Yes, our government wastes a lot of money on illegal immigration, you are right there, OP.

And, we didn't go to the moon to just "walk around" -- had you been paying attention, instead of running from immigration officers most of your life, you would know that NASA ran HUNDREDS of experiments on the moon while we were there.

Not knowing a darn thing about AMERICAN HISTORY, and having your head up your mexican pride, you would know that the space program employed nearly 1 MILLION people, and spawned inventions that never existed. Here is a BRIEF list:

Scheduling software, semiconductors, microchips, structural analysis software, air quality monitors, virtual reality, Advanced keyboards, Customer Service Software, Database Management System, Laser Surveying, Aircraft controls, Lightweight Compact Disc, Expert System Software, Microcomputers, Design Graphics, Microwave ovens, enriched baby food, scratch-resistant eyeglass lenses, water purification, portable solid-state coolers/warmers, sports training, athletic shoes, Dustbuster, shock-absorbing helmets, home security systems, smoke detectors, flat panel televisions, high-density batteries, trash compactors, food packaging and freeze-dried technology, cool sportswear, sports bras, hair styling appliances, fogless ski goggles, self-adjusting sunglasses, composite golf clubs, hang gliders, art preservation, quartz crystal timing equipment, microspheres, weather forecasting, forest management, environmental control sensors, wind monitors, telemetry systems, plant research, Hydroponics, fire resistant materials, radiation insulation, Whale identification method, environmental analysis, noise abatement, pollution measuring devices, pollution control devices, smokestack monitor, radioactive leak detector, earthquake prediction system, sewage treatment, energy saving air conditioning, air purification, digital imaging breast biopsy system, breast cancer detection, laser angioplasty, ultrasound skin-damage assesment, human tissue stimulator, cool suit, programmable heart pacemaker, ocular screening, automated urinalysis, medical gas analyzer, voice-controlled wheelchair, Arteriosclerosis detection, ultrasound scanners, automatic insulin pump, portable x-ray device, invisible braces, dental arch wire, palate surgery technology, clean room apparel, implantable heart aid, MRI, bone analyzer, cataract surgery tools, magnetic liquids, welding sensor system, microlasers, magnetic bearings, plasma-sprayed engine coating, interactive multi-media training, high-pressure water stripping, advanced welding torch, Gasoline vapor recovery, self-locking fasteners, machine tool software, laser wire stripper, lubricant coating process, wireless communications, engine coatings, engine design, personal radiation detectors, Remotely-operated robot, personal alarm system, emergency rescue cutters, Lighter-weight firefighter's air tanks, Lightning detectors, self-righting life rafts, Storm warning services (Doppler radar), firefighters' radios, lead poison detection, fire detector, flame detector, corrosion protection coating, protective clothing, and robotic hands, studless winter tires, high-temperature composite materials, laminar airflow air purification, lightweight composite materials, improved aircraft engines, environmental-friendly lubricants, Flywheel Energy Storage system, aircraft design, Safer bridges, emission testing, airline wheelchairs, electric car, auto design, methane-powered vehicles, windshear prediction, and aircraft design analysis.

SOURCE

(TO BE CONTINUED NEXT MESSAGE)
edit on 11-1-2012 by phantomjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Furthermore, HOW DARE YOU SAY "to just put up a FREAKING FLAG" -- how freaking insulting you are, as an American Hater, that "Freaking Flag" is the symbol of OUR Freedom. Many millions have died to protect that flag and what it represents. How dare you insult the heros of this country? I will tell you, because, you are not from here, just as your original thread points out, your illegal mexican father came to this country illegally. So what would you freaking care about a stupid American Flag? NOTHING.

Next,

"Now that wateris becoming scarce we still are doing nothing but liking thru a telescope expecting a sign that says "Hey we have water, come on over"

What the hell does that mean? Since when has water become scarce? Maybe in Mexico, but if you haven't noticed, the planet is covered by water and WE have the technology to purify it in as much quantity as necessary. Another invention of the Apollo mission.

Your post makes no sense, and you contribute nothing to the "Serious Question" that you pose. Your grammar is poor, and your spelling is atrocious. Use the spell check next time you decide to post. Its there so you can sound semi-literate.

Greedy? Really? You mean like entering a country illegally and expecting the same benefits of TRUE American Citizens and exploiting what tax payers like myself help to provide for Greedy illegal immigrants?

I highly doubt the government cares for the cost of moon exploration. They've wasted thousand of dollars on useless things.

You are right, again. Healthcare, housing, and food on people who do not contribute to the tax system, or those who are here illegally.

I believe your answer makes the most sense. It's all about control and manipulation with the government.

You mean the same government of laws that we have? To those who try to circumvent the law?

And then you disappear and don't return to your own thread.

Your Profile Mood is dead on: "In a Trance"

Sorry to all members for this rant, but I was instanced after reading the OP's first and only post on this site. She clearly has no other reason to post her thread other than to either Bash the USA or to collect flags from unsuspecting contributors of this site. And, considering that this question has been debated time and time again on this site, I think the moderators should put this thread in the trash.

You apparently have no concept of what it takes to get from the Earth to the Moon. (sic)

The answer to your question, is that we didn't return to the moon because the MISSION WAS COMPLETE. It was too expensive to get little gain from the program. Period.

I am not going to debate the moon hoax truthers however. Again, that argument has been covered hundreds of times on ATS, except to say, we have a million jobs created, hundreds of inventions, recent recovery photos showing the equipment we left behind as well as Lunar Rover tracks on the surface of the moon, yet, it was all a hoax.

Flame away!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Another possibility, because I haven't seen it mentioned yet, and it answers several questions.
1st BIG MYSTERY
Why were we racing the Russians to the moon? Was all this just for a propaganda victory?
We saw something on the moon
We knew it was artificial
Russia and the US begin a space race to acquire suspected alien technology
No shame on the thousands of brilliant young men who put us on the moon. Their accomplishments were real. They deserve all the credit they received.
No shame on moon hoaxers who believed they spotted errors in the pics. The pics were phoney and shot here on earth. NASA did not know how much of the view would show alien material and so could not allow live transmissions from the moon and so faked 'moon walk' videos were made
Both sides of the moon hoax argument were right.
2nd BIG MYSTERY
Why did the Soviet Union abandon their space program once we landed? Because we had already recovered the prize we were both chasing. Alien technology? The damn Americans have already picked it up and taken it home.
Follow-up trips made to recover the last of this technology and then....
3rd BIG MYSTERY
Why didn't we go back?
No reason to waste money or time going back. Nothing of any practical value left. Maybe moon rocks but we're not going to spend billions just to chip some samples off what is basically just a giant asteroid.

There was something on the moon the S.U. and the U.S.A. both wanted. We raced. We won. Neither side has any reason to go back now.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join