It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Clock a minute closer to midnight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Doomsday Clock a minute closer to midnight

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - The symbolic Doomsday Clock calculated by a group of scientists was moved a minute closer to midnight on Tuesday, with the group citing inadequate progress on nuclear weapons reduction and climate change.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I am not sure how much stock to put behind this method, but this is a bit disturbing non the less. It is beyond disheartening that the further we come in this day an age of scientific enlightenment, or what most would deem as progress, we are living in dangerous times.

Just trying to get a handle on "news" that is reliable is impossible due to all the sensationalism and speculation. Who do you trust when apparently everyone is a crook?

Personally, I do not think the end of the world is near. Maybe this is just wishful think being a married father of 3. What are your thoughts regarding this Clock?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Looks like more reason to make people panic.

Nothing is going to happen. I'll wait till it strikes midnight. Then, I'll see what happens.
edit on 10-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
By God, with that clock we can TIME TRAVEL! They've already gone a minute into the past before!

Seriously, is this from the Weekly World News?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
how did we as people get it so wrong? is all this bs really necessary?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield
By God, with that clock we can TIME TRAVEL! They've already gone a minute into the past before!

It's not an actual clock that tells time.And it has nothing to do with time travel

It is a symbolic clock, created by scientists and yes it is real. The clock is symbolic of how much time may or may not be left. The idea is that the closer it is to midnight, the more likely an end of the world scenario, may happen.

There is some formula they use to calculate what "time" it is. The time on this clock, of course, being symbolic of how close we are to the end of the world, as I said.

Do I put any stock in it? No, because I don't think anyone can really predict such a thing. There are just way to many factors and variables. If it happens it happens.

edit on 10-1-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
More propaganda. It would seem they are trying to create a little more panic for something? Probably some reason for the general public world wide to pay some sort of higher or new tax. I don't know. But it is definitely a method of control. During the Federal election for Australia. Our Labour party focused on scaring the public with global warming. Than saying that they would allocate x amount of money to fix it, as a campaign policy. Than increased our tax. Nothing of great measure was done with these new funds. Not to mention do the same with a disaster relief tax.

We are just puppets due to the majority of public's ignorance. and/or stupidity.
edit on 10-1-2012 by groundy056 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by groundy056

Is this a prediction?

Too tired of predictions.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I wish it were. Initially the clock was focused on nuclear war, but it has been broadened in recent years as the scientists, who include a range of Nobel laureates, added other risks to humanity.

"The global community may be near a point of no return in efforts to prevent catastrophe from changes in Earth's atmosphere," Macfarlane said in the statement.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Uh Oh, They brought the "Doomsday Clock" back , our demise must be imminent... Quick , Everybody be scarred!!!!

I guess, DHS's "Threat level Indicator" wasn't working out , people can only live under threat level "Hot-magenta-periwinkle" for so long!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

It's not an actual clock that tells time.And it has nothing to do with time travel

Do I put any stock in it? No, because I don't think anyone can really predict such a thing. There are just way to many factors and variables. If it happens it happens.

edit on 10-1-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

I feel the same way and this has not been the first time we have felt as though we were on the brink. "Mutual Assured Destruction" is a hell of a deterrent with regards to nuclear threats.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
This is not a preidiction! It's a device used to measure human idiocracy. The closer the hand gets to midnight the closer we are to ending our own race. When they move the clock closer it means that leaders aren't listening to the people that have the brains to see the effect their stupid decisions are having on the earth and the closer we are to knocking ourselves off.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
So glad someone started this thread as I don't have enough posts to start one yet. I saw this story on my ABC News app, so yea mainstream media is covering it. To be honest though I don't really get it. I read the story on ABC over and over and just couldn't wrap my head around how they are determining doomsday and what it means to be 7 minutes from midnight? If anyone actually understands this please please let me know what the bleep is going on. This is the first I've heard of such a clock!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Here is the link to ABC News
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonyJai
So glad someone started this thread as I don't have enough posts to start one yet. I saw this story on my ABC News app, so yea mainstream media is covering it. To be honest though I don't really get it. I read the story on ABC over and over and just couldn't wrap my head around how they are determining doomsday and what it means to be 7 minutes from midnight? If anyone actually understands this please please let me know what the bleep is going on. This is the first I've heard of such a clock!

My feeble assessment is that they "the scientists involved in this calculation" use some sort of formula based on current events to determine the inevitable outcome if things continue as they are. Global warming, Nuclear war, etc. It really has no basis in reality as far as an actual date or time.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BLKMJK

Ok so my question is why report on it, just so we will all freak out? They at least need to give us some sort of point of relativity.... Aaaargh frustrated. Thanks for trying to explain it to me though!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
it's a shame we have a clock telling us we're gonna kill ourselves yet we keep rushing to that fate

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

See what happens?
Is that your real mindset???
You should be at the ATS party!

We'll have fluoridated water, hfcs sodas, packaged frozed snack foods, hostess cakes, Etc.
All because it will no longer matter!
Then maybe folks will start living like there will be a tomorrow, and mind their futures.
Yeah I'll wait and see too, life is too short to die everyday, when we could simply live.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BLKMJK

or its just a fear tactic

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The clock has always been between 2 minutes to midnight and 7 minutes to midnight. Hearing that it's gone from 6 to 5 makes me think we're still in a safe zone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join