It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software Recommendation (APOD)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
As most of you already know, APOD(Astronomy Picture of the Day) is a great website, if you like pictures related to space:

"Discover the cosmos! Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer."
"The APOD archive contains the largest collection of annotated astronomical images on the internet."
"...it received several accolades during its short existence, including a Scientific American 2001 Sci/Tech Web award."

Now how about these FREE! softwares that make a great use of this website:

For Mac OS:

APOD Grabber : from RAILhead Design
"A little application that gives you the ability to quickly and easily view, browse, and download images from NASA�s Astronomy Picture of the Day web site. APOD Grabber also shows you all the proper credits, explanations/descriptions, and provides a link to the viewed image�s specific web page. You can also set the current image as your desktop picture with the click of a button!"

Product requirement: Mac OS X 10.1 or later

Screenshot:
external image
Visit the developer's site to view more screenshots of the software.

Read more about it here: www.railheaddesign.com...
Other download links:
www.apple.com...
www.macupdate.com...

APOD Viewer : from Frasercre
"APOD Viewer is a Sherlock 3 channel that provides easy access to the images and data on NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day website."

Product requirement: Mac OS X 10.2 or higher (optimized for OS X 10.3)

Read more about and download it here:
www.versiontracker.com...&vid=148644&mode=info

I know these are just for macintosh operating systems. Don't worry windows users, I am sure they are getting similar softwares for you soon!

I did not want to disappoint Windows users, so I tried searching for APOD related software for windows and I found this one:

For Windows OS:

APOD : from The Night Sky Live
"APOD is a lean piece of software that automatically brings to your desktop a new daily inspiring editor-picked astronomy picture with an explanation written by professional astronomers."

Read more about and download it here:
nightskylive.net...

I don't have windows so I can't tell you if it is working or not, but can someone with windows check to see?

Enjoy! I thought I would share these in case some of you don't know about them.

- J. P.

[edit on 12-9-2004 by jp1111]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
i downloaded it and installed it.. but whenever i try to click the wallpaper button it just says not found..

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bongobob
i downloaded it and installed it.. but whenever i try to click the wallpaper button it just says not found..

Hi Bongobob,
The Goddard Server of APOD is down until Sunday 6:00pm ET, so try later on, btw, which one did you install?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Ok, ill remember that.. p.s. i downloaded the night sky one.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The server is back up again and the softwares should work now

new topics

top topics

join