Movie metaphors ... I drink your milkshake, I drink it up!

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Over the weekend I viewed one of these spoof movies, and it brought back memories of a scene from the 2007 movie There will be Blood.

It made me realize how effective that scene was, and although it never entered language in SA, the salient metaphor of a milkshake was very memorable.
It's very much an Americanism, and people would not understand the reference in most other cultures.
But what does that metaphor actually mean?

Now I see that the phrase "I drink your milkshake" actually entered the US urban dictionary.

Are the characters referring to some real process here, or is it just a metaphor of general triumph?
Did the oil baron really make a pipe like a straw to secretly drink the riches from the fake preacher's land?

Have any other movie metaphors like that entered language?

Here is the original scene: "I drink your milkshake"!

edit on 10-1-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I saw this film myself, actually quite bareable for a spoof of these times.

"The 41 year old virgin who knocked up Sarah Marshall and felt Superbad about it" is the movie title.

The guy playing Seth was brilliant in that scene and quite good at playing Seth Rogen.

Edit: I believe in "There will be Blood" he was syphoning oil from under their land.
edit on 10-1-2012 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Yeah, that's right!
I'm glad you typed out that lengthy title.
I drank your milkshake - ha!

Here's the spoof from the film:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The Urban Dictionary - I drink your milkshake:

www.urbandictionary.com...

I remember it as quite a serious metaphor for exploitative capitalism.

Here we have two characters who symbolize what much of the world perceives as American corruption: oil and false religion.

They could have benefited each other in the film, but they do not.

They do for a while, but when the amoral capitalist takes power, he drinks everybody's milkshake.
The irony is that he's an alcoholic, and he's probably never had a milkshake in his life.
edit on 10-1-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
this spoof ruined that scene for me for good

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by paganini

Thanks for that!

For it to be so funny, there must be some kind of undercurrent to that original scene.
I think we recognize that people like that exist in society, and because we couldn't stand up to them, perhaps we choose to laugh at it.
It's about power, but also how power can destroy itself.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Two more reasons why Daniel Day-Lewis won the Oscar.

edit on 11-1-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Having never seen There Will Be Blood, I never knew where "I drink your milkshake" came from, thanks.

Yeah some British gaming magazines used it at the time.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Had this movie for years and loved it, really shows what greed can do to a human...not only that it shows the feelings of a misanthropist, which I can readily identify with.

Loved Daniel-Day Lewis from Last of the Mohicans and Gangs of New York but it was this movie in particular that made him my favorite performer.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
This quote is actually derived from testimony from either Edward L Dohney or Senator Albert Fall (testimony and terminology — a #ing milk shake. I get so happy every time I hear that word.(sources differ and I havent found the actual transcript) Screenwriter PT Anderson said the follwoing in an interwiew in LA Weekly

“I think it was Albert Fall, who was asked to describe drainage before Congress,” Anderson continues. “And his way of describing it was, ‘If you have a milk shake and I have a milk shake, and my straw reaches across the room…’ I’m sure I embellished it and changed it around and made it more Plainview. But Fall used the word ‘milk shake,’ and I thought it was so great. It was mad to see that word among all this official testimony and terminology — a #ing milk shake. I get so happy every time I hear that word.”

If I find the transcript I will give you the actual quote.

Here's a SNL skit about a travel show hosted by Daniel and H.W. Plainview about, you guessed it, Drinking milkshakes with a special guest Anton Sugar.
edit on 27-1-2012 by Josephus because: added a video

new topics

join