It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you ever known a psychopath?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by pasiphae

I went through your posts in thread...yup, you had one there! I went through the same, and it nearly destroyed me. And I should have known better, but I missed the signs and fell for the crap.

I also was once married to one of those "chameleon" types such as needlenight describes. They put on whatever "mask" they have learned is appropriate
(and thank to to needlenight for your disclosure, and good on ya for getting help).

I would not be at all suprised if that ex of mine does snap....someday....and if I didn't know better I'd even suspect needlenight of being him!! But he also told me (my ex) that he was not a person who would ever need counseling, he was above it, so I doubt it.

But, my response to needle's second post was the same as yours (before I scrolled down to yours). Wow.

Anyhoo, I had a thread last summer you might find interesting on this topic:
(New Title: ) How are people manipulated by psychopaths?

Look forward to future discussions, 'I been there, done that,' sister!! "Ouch!", right?
edit on 11-1-2012 by wildtimes because: fix the link syntax

i'm beginning your other thread. kind of makes me laugh because of similarities! off to read more!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Insearchofthetruth1987

but then again even i am a psychopath at times
there have been times i have been on drugs/intoxicated and left people in hospital badly injured all the while not remembering any of the previous nights events

Thanks for disclosing....
it's important to remember that Psychopaths are like that ALL THE TIME, not just when they are drugged or drunk. That would fit more into an "altered state" where deeply buried inhibitions emerge. You wouldn't be considered a "psychopath", but more with anger issues that are unaddressed and repressed.

Two completely separate things.
Everyone has violent thoughts, and occasionally lose control of their behavior....while it might cause others harm, it is neither psychosis nor psychopathy...but an acting out of inner rage.

You can get help and work out the rage. A true psychopath can not. They can seek help, and learn to modify their behavior, but they can't ever be really "cured" (at least not so far).

Cheers, and I'm glad you got away from that crowd....*pulls a yikes-face*

Off topic: is there an emoticon for a yikes-face?

Anyway, you might want to consider consulting a counselor to help with your latent anger and aggression.

--wt
edit on 11-1-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I believe the sociopath lack of empathy thing is over sold. Or there is a stream of unrecognized sociopath.

I believe you would find that a good number of well functioning sociopaths are not lacking emotions, nor lacking empathy but that they instead will tell you that they have extreme reactions/emotions that they've learned to suppress/control in a manner utterly common to the populace.

It would seem to me that when mental health experts are told by these people that they have empathy, that the mental health experts believe this is a delusion, or that the people telling them this are so detached they do not understand the term on a visceral level. I suggest the opposite - that the mental health experts are incapable of putting their head around the idea that someone can have extreme emotional and empathetic reactions and be a sociopath because of them.

The sociopath created due to an excess of visceral reaction teamed with incomplete individuate boundaries, being negotiated.

If this model is true, then constant bombardement by the environment (school, media, movies, conflict, etc.) of things that provoke constant excessive reactions as a means of advertizement could theoretically create low level sociopathic traits over time in otherwise normal people.

edit on 2012/1/11 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Insearchofthetruth1987

but then again even i am a psychopath at times
there have been times i have been on drugs/intoxicated and left people in hospital badly injured all the while not remembering any of the previous nights events

Thanks for disclosing....
it's important to remember that Psychopaths are like that ALL THE TIME, not just when they are drugged or drunk. That would fit more into an "altered state" where deeply buried inhibitions emerge. You wouldn't be considered a "psychopath", but more with anger issues that are unaddressed and repressed.

Two completely separate things.
Everyone has violent thoughts, and occasionally lose control of their behavior....while it might cause others harm, it is neither psychosis nor psychopathy...but an acting out of inner rage.

You can get help and work out the rage. A true psychopath can not. They can seek help, and learn to modify their behavior, but they can't ever be really "cured" (at least not so far).

Cheers, and I'm glad you got away from that crowd....*pulls a yikes-face*

Off topic: is there an emoticon for a yikes-face?

Anyway, you might want to consider consulting a counselor to help with your latent anger and aggression.

--wt
edit on 11-1-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

yes, exactly. that's not psychopathic behavior but drug/alcohol induced. some people get angry when drunk but that doesn't mean they are a psychopath. i would assume some abuse as a child... i could be wrong but it's most likely.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I believe the sociopath lack of empathy thing is over sold.

I believe you would find that a good number of well functioning sociopaths are not lacking emotions, nor lacking empathy but that they instead will tell you that they have extreme reactions/emotions that they've learned to suppress/control in a manner utterly common to the populace.

It would seem to me that when mental health experts are told by these people that they have empathy, that the mental health experts believe this is a delusion, or that the people telling them this are so detached they do not understand the term on a visceral level. I suggest the opposite - that the mental health experts are incapable of putting their head around the idea that someone can have extreme emotional and empathetic reactions and be a sociopath because of them.

The sociopath created due to an excess of visceral reaction teamed with incomplete individuate boundaries, being negotiated.

If this model is true, then constant bombardement by the environment (school, media, movies, conflict, etc.) of things that provoke constant excessive reactions as a means of advertizement could theoretically create low level sociopathic traits over time in otherwise normal people.

i think you are talking about a different type of personality disorder altogether. more like anti social personality disorder.... which is one of the more severe ones but not the same as psychopath/sociopath. that can be created the way you describe.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
---

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

i think you are talking about a different type of personality disorder altogether. more like anti social personality disorder.... which is one of the more severe ones but not the same as psychopath/sociopath. that can be created the way you describe.

Respectfully, pasiphae, the two are the same. Sociopath is the shorter name for anti-social personality disorder.

The problem with personality disorders is that they are hard-wired. The best (current) method to help them is to assist in learning to behave in a way that is socially acceptable, even if it is faked.

There are 5 different levels (each called an "Axis") used when counselors assess client's level of functioning and the source for their distress: these "number codes" are what the practitioners put in the notes to paper (purely for reasons of insurance billing, but that's a separate issue). The personality disorders are in Axis 2.

There are five axes in the DSM diagnostic system, each relating to a different aspect of a mental disorder:

Axis I:This is the top-level diagnosis that usually represents the acute symptoms that need treatment; Axis 1 diagnoses are the most familiar and widely recognized (e.g., major depressive episode, schizophrenic episode, panic attack). Axis I terms are classified according to V-codes by the medical industry (primarily for billing and insurance purposes).

Axis II:Axis II, is for personality disorders and developmental disorders such as mental retardation. Axis II disorders, if present, are likely to influence Axis I problems. For example, a student with a learning disability may become extremely stressed by school and suffer a panic attack (an Axis I diagnosis).

Axis III:Axis III is for medical or neurological conditions that may influence a psychiatric problem. For example, diabetes might cause extreme fatigue which may lead to a depressive episode.

Axis IV:Axis IV identifies recent psychosocial stressors such as a death of a loved one, divorce, losing a job, etc.Psychosocial and Environmental Problems

Axis V:Axis V identifies the patient's level of function on a scale of 0-100, (100 is top-level functioning). This is known as the Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) Scale

www.psyweb.com...

Axis V is a measurement where 100 means you are perfect, and 0 means you are dead.
Hope that helps.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I would say...my mother is a sociopath, my older sister is a psychopath and my father is a psychopath. My mother is the evil female version of Forrest Gump who creates absolute carnage between family members. My father Jack Torrence from the shining before he goes completely nuts...and my older sister...well...once she hit 13 she started to tell people I beat her and did horrible things to her, so guys would kick the # out of me which I didnt know at the time...and it must've been pretty convincing stuff as I was a tiny guy until the age of 16...and I tested her once...I specifically only talked to her about the weather and half an hour later I hear her crying to her boyfriend about an hour because of me...it's umh...you don't really get their behavior.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I used to be married to one for ten years ..... does that count

Threw objects, slept around, kissed men infront of me to watch the pain in my face, trying it on with my brothers the list is long.... It didn't stop there either we had two daughters who she would treat differently to one another, the oldest with hate and scorn and the youngest as a princess in an effort to make the eldest feel even worse.
Threw chairs at her?.....I took knives from her hands before she could use them on her?
Nice Lady
.... fortunately she found another sucker ten years ago and I took the object of her anger with me (her first child) my daughter.
She continued to have secret contact with her mother, without my knowledge and tutored her how to make my new life and marriage a living hell. It came to a head around three years ago when my daughter left home when promised a bed at her mothers house... but as soon as she left she declared that as long as she told her everything about her fathers life and that they could in her words, "call down your father and call her new man Dad, she could go live with her". She didn't move there .... fortunately her new career gave her the chance to have her own place and independence.
So yes... "I Married A Phychopath" .... I don't recommend it.
edit on 11-1-2012 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

p.s epilogue.
My daughter is now a successful Chef and infact everything that has happened has made us very close as father and daughter should be.
My ex.... well 10 years on she's made my youngestdaughter hate me taking her Mums new husbands name and now she has left the man in question and going through another divorce. Where it comes from in the family? Her mother on her ex-husband death bed she asked for his wallet (this was about 3 minutes before he died of lung cancer) as he wouldn't be needing his money... To His Face.... Psycho!!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
WHOA!

Is Dr. Phil in the house?

I see a lot of people in need of help here!

TMI PEOPLE!

Seriously!

I went to school with a lot of them. Most of them turned out to become murderous dregs of society. Most of them are now where they need to be...either tagged on the toe or tagged with a number.
edit on 11-1-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Oh! I almost forgot about my neighbor. The kid is like10 years old, and they won't let him take the school bus anymore. He's always in trouble, stealing and stuff. Anyways, he was mad at some lady in the neighborhood, so he went into her house, opened up the kitchen cupboard, and TOOK A DUMP. Funniest thing I ever heard of.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

it's been a long time since i looked into anti social personality disorder. i'll take your word for it.... i dont' think the other poster is a psychopath though. some other form of personality disorder.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DreamerOracle

10 years is a heck of a long time to be married to a crazy person. yikes!! 5 months was 4 months too long for me. the first month was fine.

i'm glad to hear you have such a good relationship with at least one of your daughters.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae

it's been a long time since i looked into anti social personality disorder. i'll take your word for it.... i dont' think the other poster is a psychopath though. some other form of personality disorder.

As far as I can tell, almost eveyone has a "disorder" of some sort.

It has become a convenient handle for identifying different base types in the populace, with the most extreme versions showing up as pathologies. Some of these disorders are clearly not disorders even though they continue to be sold as such for pharmacological or identification purposes. When a "disorder" is getting to the 5-10% of the population, or a gender sub-set, it isn't a disorder. It is an example of a disorder in culture.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by maestromason
WHOA!

Is Dr. Phil in the house?

I see a lot of people in need of help here!

TMI PEOPLE!

Seriously!

I went to school with a lot of them. Most of them turned out to become murderous dregs of society. Most of them are now where they need to be...either tagged on the toe or tagged with a number.
edit on 11-1-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

you made me laugh! there are a lot of people in need of help. i kind of called them forward ya know? people who have ever been involved with a psychopath have had some very messed up experiences. personally... i had never dated a crazy person before. my ex husband is somewhat of an a-hole but he's not crazy. i'm in my 40's and still friends with almost everyone i've ever dated. i will admit that i do feel it must be something in me that's not quite right which allowed him to take advantage. luckily i was smart enough to get out before anything bad happened to me or my children. he wanted to get married. i know why.... and it wasn't for any "right" reason. i would have been seriously screwed if i hadn't figured him out.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Yes, they are everywhere, although I think the possibility of one rationalizing all their emotions and not 'feeling' is much real and so making them to be seen as psychopaths from outside but not a true one from inside. The simply understanding that your actions could harms others (empathy) thus choosing peace, makes you a 'normal' human and NOT a psychopath. (don't worry, you still can do as much harm as a real one
).

Now to the people lacking conscience, I think they are about 5% of general population and growing from what I can see, they really CAN'T understand what emotions is in a very deep way, like you know what is e.g. sadness and you don't like feeling it. They in other side don't know what sadness is not even rationalizing because emotions are a pretty 'special' feeling to just 'emulate' what feeling them mean. So the true psychopath wouldn't break even under torture, they REALLY can't be 'saved'. For me they are bound to self-destruction in a spiritual way. The real cowards of the human race, hiding their psyche because would case panic but going full speed with their ambitions in the shadows. IF they could feel the pain they cause, I'm sure they would break, but them again, they lack this conscience...

Although psychopaths destroy our peace on earth every day, I see no reason a person should fear them, their power comes from fear and intimidation, fear of them being capable of doing anything and intimidation from their natural lack of restrain, that make 'normal' humans caution and responsible and ironic envying this psychotic characteristic. I see them as cars with no break going full speed not crashing in the wall because of the exploits they do in society.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Originally posted by pasiphae

As far as I can tell, almost eveyone has a "disorder" of some sort.

It has become a convenient handle for identifying different base types in the populace, with the most extreme versions showing up as pathologies. Some of these disorders are clearly not disorders even though they continue to be sold as such for pharmacological or identification purposes. When a "disorder" is getting to the 5-10% of the population, or a gender sub-set, it isn't a disorder. It is an example of a disorder in culture.

which is why i do NOT think everyone has a disorder. people are over diagnosed for sure.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I watched my own Mum and Dad go through a terrible divorce at 11 I was trying to make it last by hook or by crook..... Hindsight and all .... Time wasted but who knows a long winding road to a better future...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Here are some true real life signs of a psychopath....

"Her demeanor, the best way to say it, is she was calm, cooperative and pleasant as if we were discussing someone who had a parking ticket," Danziger said in an April 7, 2011 deposition.

He notes that she was in a good mood, reading books, sleeping fine and had a good appetite.

"No feeling of guilt, not hopeless," he said.

"This is someone who is sitting in jail. Her child is missing, presumed dead," Danziger said. "While she had not yet been charged with murder, obviously, she's charged with crimes and is being accused by the whole world in the disappearance of the child. You would expect that that would provoke some measure of distress."

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Here are some true real life signs of a psychopath....

"Her demeanor, the best way to say it, is she was calm, cooperative and pleasant as if we were discussing someone who had a parking ticket," Danziger said in an April 7, 2011 deposition.

He notes that she was in a good mood, reading books, sleeping fine and had a good appetite.

"No feeling of guilt, not hopeless," he said.

"This is someone who is sitting in jail. Her child is missing, presumed dead," Danziger said. "While she had not yet been charged with murder, obviously, she's charged with crimes and is being accused by the whole world in the disappearance of the child. You would expect that that would provoke some measure of distress."

Exactly.

"If my child was missing and I was in jail and being accused of it, I probably wouldn't eat or wouldn't be cheerful and wouldn't be able to read," Danziger concluded.

Thats a person not restrained by emotion.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join