It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civil Rights Activist to support occupy & why we occupy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Dr Virgil A Wood is supporting Say O c c u p y new social network for the occupy movement.

making history with connections from the past, Dr Virgil a wood is now supporting the new website and movement with no hesitation, i dont know who contacted who but this is something else. they have plans is all i know and something is telling me its gonna be mind warping.

The man knows his stuff and understands the occupy is not just a bunch of hippies, they have doctors, lawyers, mayors, police, and many more supporters

This is only what ive heard so far and i know you will all prosecute my reputation for this. lol but i believe a lot of you are un informed about what the occupy movement really is!

the 99% there is a solution 1 min commercial
why we occupy

i thought this video hillarious and informative! so i added it here lol

Dr. Virgil A. Wood

Part of the MLK Council of Elders and civil rights activist for the disadvantaged

Dr. Virgil A. Wood, church leader, educator, and civil rights activist, has committed much of his life’s work to the struggle for economic and spiritual development among the nation’s disadvantaged. Ordained as a Baptist Minister in his late teens, Wood has served churches for over 50 years in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Virginia. Dr. Wood concluded his Pastoral Ministry in 2005 at Pond Street Baptist after serving for 25 years. During his Pastorate in Lynchburg, Virginia, he became actively involved with the Civil Rights movement, setting up the Martin Luther King work there as the Lynchburg Improvement Association, a local unit of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC). From 1963 to 1970, Wood led the Blue Hill Christian Center, of Boston’s Roxbury community, as its Pastoral Director, and head of the Massachusetts Unit of SCLC. He served on the National Executive Board of the SCLC for the last ten years of Dr. King’s life and work, and coordinated the State of Virginia in the Historic March on Washington April 28, 1963. Dr. Wood has many notable accomplishments. As an administrator for Opportunities Industrialization Centers of America, a job training organization serving disadvantaged and under skilled Americans of all races, he assisted in founding and establishing 13 OIC centers in eight southern states, and in Boston, Massachusetts. Wood also served as a panelist and member of three White House Conferences under the Johnson, Nixon, and Carter Administrations. Among Wood’s publications are INTRODUCTION TO BLACK CHURCH ECONOMIC STUDIES, (Sparks Press: Raleigh, N. C., 1974), ORIGININATOR and contributing editor, THE JUBILEE BIBLE, (American Bible Society, New York,) 1999; and author, “IN LOVE WE TRUST: Lessons I Learned From Martin Luther King”, published by Beckham House, Silver Spring, Maryland, February, 2005. Dr. Wood received his Doctorate in Education from Harvard University. As an educator, he served as Dean and Director of the African American Institute, Associate Professor of Northeastern University at Boston, a Professor at Virginia Seminary and College in Lynchburg, and a visiting Lecturer, Research and Teaching Fellow at Harvard University.

Dr Wood

Rev. Dr. Virgil A. Wood Rev. Wood is an ordained Baptist minister who became actively involved in the Civil Rights Movement. He served with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as a member of his National Executive Board of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference for the last ten years of Dr. King’s life and coordinated the state of Virginia in the historic March on Washington in 1963. Dr. Wood received his B.A. degree from Virginia Union University, his Master of Divinity from Andover Newton Theological School in Newton, Massachusetts and his Doctorate in Education from Harvard University. He served as Dean and Director of the African American Institute, and Associate Professor at Virginia Seminary and College in Lynchburg, and a visiting Lecturer, Research and Teaching Fellow at Harvard University. As a member of the board of the Institute for the Study of Economic Systems, founded by Louis O. Kelso with Norman Kurland as its executive director, Dr. Wood arranged a meeting between Dr. King and Mr. Kelso, after which Dr. King encouraged Dr. Wood to spread Kelso’s ownership message. Dr. Wood is the author of several books, including Introduction to Black Church Economic Studies. His concept of a biblical jubilee served as the foundation for the Jubilee Bible project that resulted in the African American Jubilee Edition of the King James Version of the Holy Bible, published in 1999 by the American Bible Association. Section One opened with Dr. Wood’s article, “The Biblical Jubilee.” He also is currently the pastor of the Pond Street Baptist Church in Providence, Rhode Island. TOP
more on Dr Wood
by N3v3rmor3 because: added a video and edit title to apply to both

edit on 10-1-2012 by N3v3rmor3 because: edit info

edit on 10-1-2012 by N3v3rmor3 because: added more information

new topics

join