It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does my wifi time out at night?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
During the day my wifi works great. Then in the eveing it always times out I have at&t and thier customer service is a joke. I wonder why my wifi is perfect during the day time and then all of a sudden in the eveing and at night it keeps timing out i can hardly do anything online it is so snnoying!!! and making me crazy!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TropicKandie

Most likely it has to do with network traffic. It's probably not your actual WiFi, it's just the fact that at night more people are home and the signal to your modem/router is being shared by more people.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Do you live in an apartment? It almost sounds like someone/several someones are "using" your wireless at night and sucking all your bandwidth.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I'm with MJZoo on this. Download an app like Wifi Analyzer on your smartphone if you have one and check your signal availability at night.

Switching the channel your wifi is running on might be enough to help. It's probably just other folks eating up your signal.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

You are possibly experiencing reduced bandwidth due to your neighbours WiFi also being used in the evening hours. You could try adjusting the channel number it uses but most are set to channel hop automatically, I have no idea how well the channel hopping works in practice though. From the few I've seen, they all try to grab channel 11 out of the box. Seeing as there are 12 or 13 channels you might be able to get a little more throughput by adjusting that if it is really bad. You do that in the config screen of your WiFi or Access Point. Hopefully you have a secured WPA2 Access Point otherwise it might just be someone freeloading on your connection.

Hope it helps.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I have the same issue. I check my gateway settings and find it that only my xbox and tablet are connected to the wifi yet it shuts down every time at night for minutes at a time. It's only the wifi that's affected not any of the wired connection and speeds are constant.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus24

If it helps any, the channels are numbered 1 to 12 (wireless G anyway) and correspond to a certain radio frequency. I think some of the frequencies are closer to each other than others hence "chatter". The radio has to be free before you can use it so the more things operating in the same frequency range as you means the less room for you to transmit and receive.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

i've changed up the frequencies, 1-11 and even set it on auto yet same thing. I guess there could be something transmitting at a similar frequency that could affect my wifi reception
Thanks for the input.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I had At & t too, and at 3:00 - 4:00 in the morning the signal would weaken, than drop out. I found that to be very odd and quite annoying

my conspiracy theory was that was the time that they were uploading the days activity from our house. damn spies

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus24

Unfortunately it is a narrow band assigned to wifi and even then there is overlap. Take a look at the diagram at the bottom of the following page for an idea on just how much it overlaps. Channel numbers are the large number, radio frequency are the other numbers.
www.moonblinkwifi.com...
edit on 10/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

edit on 10/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: And another correction

ETA

edit on 10/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Thanks for all the help. I just posted this and already he all you helping me how nice. I am going to try this stuff and see if it works.. I live in a house not an apartment. My wifi is password protected I made a long password with numbers and letters and some dashes. I do not think it would be easily hacked. alot of my nieghbors have wifi also.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Sounds like you have it protected correctly. It could be several things. Not sure how much you are on it during the day but like me I'm not home during the day so maybe it does it through-out. So it's possible it could be the modem or the router. First thing I would do is unplug the modem for at least 1 minute and also unplug the router at this time. This will give it a hard reset and sometimes that will resolve the issue.

Also depends on how old your stuff is too.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
When it goes "down" next time, see if you can access the setup web pages on it, because if you can get to that your wifi is fine and its your internet connection to the house.

Im asuming your are getting a "wifi/internet connection" lost in windows and cant reconnect.
edit on 17-1-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
If you have their new black router that comes with the battery backup that could be ur problem also, mine will sometimes restart and kill the net.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
If it is still timing out, or if you're getting the yellow exclamation mark and it seems half connected a lot, try going to the search bar, start menu, type in run "cmd" and then in the black command prompt put in ipconfig, and check to see if your IP is of 192.168.x.x, or what it is normally like, to your awareness.

If the IP is all large numbers like 164.xxx.xx.xx or 169, or something like that, then chances are that your IP address is having a DNS issue, or that you have a duplicate IP on the network.

I would time out for this reason, but this issue is also present for a lot of general wireless issues.

192.168.2.1, or 192.168.0.1, put that into internet explorer, log in with 'admin' for both user and pass, or cusadmin for user and 'admin' for password, if admin doesn't work try password. If you can get into your settings you can check to see if there are limitations with the connection broadcasting.

Other things you can do, if you have access to the router, is set the channel to 6 if it isn't, 1, 10 and 6 are the most stable and default I believe. You could also try looking for your wireless adapter's number or serial so you can look for updates or new firmware, or to do a new installation of the adapter files if you feel comfortable with starting over and setting up a new SSID, password, etc.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ajanta

I did it and it came back as the first numbers you showed me. the regular one did but, i'll try it tonight when the yellow triangle thing pops up every 10 seconds! always starts at around 7 pm and goes in and out all night til around 6 am it is so annoying i can not do anything online at night and I love being up all night on the computer.

top topics

join