It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Though I usually only give a passing interest to various New Age phenomena as they circulate across the interwebs, over the past week I’ve been noticing various strange occurrences of what is known as the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon……….specifically about the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon. So I checked ATS Search and though it seems to be mentioned in a number of posts there appears to be no thread specifically about it which actually quite surprised me, especially since it seems to have been around (at least with the name Baader-Meinhof) since at least 2006. So here it is.

The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is basically related to synchronicity or déjà vu and occurs when one happens across some strangely obscure bit of information, often just a word or name (usually regarding a topic one has never had any interest in prior), and then one repeatedly encounters the same subject over and over again in a short period of time.

Anytime the phrase “That’s so weird, I just heard about that the other day” would be appropriate, the utterer is hip-deep in Baader-Meinhof.

Most people seem to have experienced the phenomenon at least a few times in their lives, and many people encounter it with such regularity that they anticipate it upon the introduction of new information. But what is the underlying cause? Is there some hidden meaning behind Baader-Meinhof events?

The phenomenon bears some similarity to synchronicity, which is the experience of having a highly meaningful coincidence… such as having someone telephone you while you are thinking about them. Both phenomena invoke a feeling of mild surprise, and cause one to ponder the odds of such an intersection. Both smack of destiny, as though the events were supposed to occur in just that arrangement… as though we’re witnessing yet another domino tip over in a chain of dominoes beyond our reckoning. Source

The name ‘Baader-Meinhof’ actually refers to a violent left-wing terrorist group, more commonly referred to as the Red Army Faction which existed in Germany between 1970 to 1998 and is no doubt the piece of obsure information which one individual kept hearing about over and over again and hence decided to name this phenomenon after it

It was actually the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon which led me to find ATS. I kept hearing about ‘Reptilians’, a topic I'd heard occasionally in passing and knew very little about them. Conspiracy theories involving large lizards don’t really do it for me, but after hearing and reading about them a lot in a very short space of time (and through no conscious effort of my own) I finally googled them, came across ATS and haven't looked back since. I still have very little interest in Reptilians but the fact I'd heard about them so often in just a short span of days and then decided to research them in turn led me to a forum which has allowed me to exchange information and talk with others about my own obscure little interests, and in doing so has definitely changed me for the better.

edit on 10/1/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This has happened to me a lot in the past, but recently a lot of threads on ATS have been about related phenomena and I have not a all. Feeling left out over here

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

star and flagged

I never knew it had an actual name for this phenomena, my personal favourites is when people say the exact thing at the same time it is very strange feeling when things like that occur

Ever said things or knew things you never had a clue that you knew? or where you learned that?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This happens all the time.

I have had threads that were new that day yet it felt like I had already read it and the replies were so familiar. It is a strange feeling of familiarity and then you start to know what will happen next. It can last a few mins or seconds.

I get lots of deja vu/synchronicty incidents.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The Wachowski's incorporated this into the Matrix movies.

There IS sumthing 2 IT!

Ribbit

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990
reply to post by 1littlewolf

star and flagged

I never knew it had an actual name for this phenomena, my personal favourites is when people say the exact thing at the same time it is very strange feeling when things like that occur

Ever said things or knew things you never had a clue that you knew? or where you learned that?

How dew you Star sUmOne?
I can't figure it out.

Ribbit

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I've been noticing this on ATS ads...LOL.

I visited a new site the other day looking for some replacement parts and later on when I logged onto ATS there the site was, on the ads...showing the exact same thing I was looking at. I was like--holy macaroni, they know what I'm thinking!!!

This is something I look to see more of in the future as psychology reigns in the mind and advertisers or indoctrinator's find a way to make subliminal messaging work (if they haven't already
).
edit on 10-1-2012 by dudeawesome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

How dew you Star sUmOne?
I can't figure it out.

Ribbit

First go to the top of the thread and click where it says 'FLAG IT'. Then go to the black little star in the top left of my post and click that - it should turn blue. Practise makes perfect so feel free to go to any of my posts and click that little dark star Toady

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990

Thx. I never realised it had a name either and just thought (which I guess it is) a sub-component of the phenomena known as synchronicity. It was not until this week when I read a number of articles which refererred to it, saw it mentioned in a few posts and even had an email sent to me which mentioned that I realise it had a name.

But like I mentioned in the OP it has been called the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon for at least 6 years now.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf

Originally posted by ButtUglyToad

How dew you Star sUmOne?
I can't figure it out.

Ribbit

First go to the top of the thread and click where it says 'FLAG IT'. Then go to the black little star in the top left of my post and click that - it should turn blue. Practise makes perfect so feel free to go to any of my posts and click that little dark star Toady

Baked the Cake!

Ribbit

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This topic actually has a name in string theory, its called "quantum entanglement"
I will give an example from morgan freemans show the universe on the history channel.

A woman saved a little leage player when he was struck from a softball early on in his life..only to be saved by the same person when he was older in a restaurant while she was choking on a piece of food.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
This happens all the time.

I have had threads that were new that day yet it felt like I had already read it and the replies were so familiar. It is a strange feeling of familiarity and then you start to know what will happen next. It can last a few mins or seconds.

I get lots of deja vu/synchronicty incidents.

I know exactly what your saying. I've also seen quite often a person will post a thread on a subject and within a few minutes someone will post the exact same subject, either in the same forum or somewhere else related. The 2nd guy was obviously still writing their thread when the first one posted.

Unfortunately for the 2nd guy their thread always gets closed...

Originally posted by dudeawesome
I've been noticing this on ATS ads...LOL.

I visited a new site the other day looking for some replacement parts and later on when I logged onto ATS there the site was, on the ads...showing the exact same thing I was looking at. I was like--holy macaroni, they know what I'm thinking!!!

This is something I look to see more of in the future as psychology reigns in the mind and advertisers or indoctrinator's find a way to make subliminal messaging work (if they haven't already
).

Ignoring ads on the internet is almost 2nd nature to me but I've got no doubt it occurs.

A friend of mine actually worled for a large adverising firm and they had a couple of psychologists on staff. Everything you see in ads today (especially big buisnesses) has is there specifically to place you in a frame of mind to make you more receptive to that particular produact and therefore more inclined to buy it.
edit on 10/1/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I just had a Baader Meinhof moment! Just finished watching a segment on "Krautrock" and Baader meinhoff was mentioned in the documentary, this was just 5 min ago, clicked o n ATS and saw this thread title. Crazy.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
So if I understand this correctly, this is a phenomena where apparently unrelated events seem to be tied together in some respect unlike deja vu which is more typical of repeating events.

Reminds me of a Christmas story I read in the local paper where an older guy had a guitar that meant the world to him because of who gave it to him. It was 40 years old and never used but in excellent condition. He decided to donate it and told the story to the charity. Anyway another woman in tears came in later just before Christmas explaining how in order to pay a bill to have heat, she had to sell her daughter's Christmas present. After the charity organizer asked what the item was that she sold, it was explained that it had been a guitar. He checked that the donated guitar had not been promised to anyone and it had not. Some people might say Christmas miracle. It could be an example of the phenomena mentioned here. Or do I have this wrong?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
So far there's no mention of the psychological explanation of the phenomenon. When you first become aware of a word or idea, or when you first begin to focus on it, you experience a perceived, sudden increase in the occurrence of that thing because you had previously ignored occurrences of it.

Much of what your senses perceive is filtered out by your brain before it reaches your conscious awareness. Things that that the brain calculates are irrelevant, unremarkable, or just unfamiliar.

I don't think it has anything to do with deja-vu.

I liked the site in the following link, when it was still active. It has a thing or two to say about the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.
www.damninteresting.com...

edit on 11-1-2012 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2012 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

I don't think it's heightened awareness...more along the lines of surprising preparedness.

For example; I overhear strangers in a conversation about some unusual subject for the first time one day, and a few days later a friend really wants to talk to me about that subject. Not only am I surprised that I actually know something about it, but I'm surprised that it would come up at all!

It's not like I went out looking for any of this information (consciously or unconsciously), it all just came to me--luckily in the right order.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
So if I understand this correctly, this is a phenomena where apparently unrelated events seem to be tied together in some respect unlike deja vu which is more typical of repeating events.

Reminds me of a Christmas story I read in the local paper where an older guy had a guitar that meant the world to him because of who gave it to him. It was 40 years old and never used but in excellent condition. He decided to donate it and told the story to the charity. Anyway another woman in tears came in later just before Christmas explaining how in order to pay a bill to have heat, she had to sell her daughter's Christmas present. After the charity organizer asked what the item was that she sold, it was explained that it had been a guitar. He checked that the donated guitar had not been promised to anyone and it had not. Some people might say Christmas miracle. It could be an example of the phenomena mentioned here. Or do I have this wrong?

Close, but no cigar. This would more be an example of synchronicity or 'meaningful coincidence', of which the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is a part of.

But the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is more concerned with information, words, names or phrases; specifically obscure stuff that you have never really heard of or have any interest of but then suddenly hear them many times over and over again in a very short amount of time.

Nice story though

edit on 11/1/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tearman
So far there's no mention of the psychological explanation of the phenomenon. When you first become aware of a word or idea, or when you first begin to focus on it, you experience a perceived, sudden increase in the occurrence of that thing because you had previously ignored occurrences of it.

Much of what your senses perceive is filtered out by your brain before it reaches your conscious awareness. Things that that the brain calculates are irrelevant, unremarkable, or just unfamiliar.

I don't think it has anything to do with deja-vu.

I liked the site in the following link, when it was still active. It has a thing or two to say about the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.
www.damninteresting.com...

You are correct, but you must admit that when you hear, such as I did, the words Baader-Meinhof nearly everyday for the past week - both regarding the phenomenon and the guerilla warfare group - or other such obscure concepts over and over in a very short space of time, sometimes it is more logical to accept that maybe something more is going on rather than dismiss it as merely 'coincidence' or ones brain picking out patterns.

Also the link you provided is the 'Source' for my ex text quote.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dudeawesome

I don't think it's heightened awareness...more along the lines of surprising preparedness.
what do you mean?

For example; I overhear strangers in a conversation about some unusual subject for the first time one day, and a few days later a friend really wants to talk to me about that subject. Not only am I surprised that I actually know something about it, but I'm surprised that it would come up at all!

It's not like I went out looking for any of this information (consciously or unconsciously), it all just came to me--luckily in the right order.
Well, it's not the only explanation for the phenomenon. As part of the same social circle, maybe you even live in the same town?, the two of you are probably exposed to a lot of the same systems of information flow. For example, someone else in your vicinity might also have overheard the strangers, and through a series of events, brought whatever subject they were discussing to your friend's awareness. I'm not saying this is what happened in your case, but it would be almost totally impossible to track all pathways through which information flows inside a social network, and so you could never really rule out this possibility.

There is also the possibility that your friend tried to talk to you before about this subject, but you don't remember because either you didn't know what they were talking about or you weren't interested.

Originally posted by 1littlewolf

... you must admit that when you hear... the words Baader-Meinhof nearly everyday for the past week... over and over in a very short space of time, sometimes it is more logical to accept that maybe something more is going on rather than dismiss it as merely 'coincidence' or ones brain picking out patterns.
Well why not? It could be either. Also, maybe it's trending on twitter or something.

Also the link you provided is the 'Source' for my ex text quote.
Oh, so it is. That was a cool site, wasn't it? I don't know why you didn't mention the psychological stuff though.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

Well, what I was thinking of your explanation is like my friend gets a new car and all of a sudden I'm seeing that car all over town. Those cars were always around town, it's just that I started seeing them because I was looking for them.

On the other hand the point I was trying to make would be more like I started seeing the same car all over town and then all of a sudden my friend gets one.

In other words, it's not just that I've noticed something new and now notice it more and more--it's that I've noticed something new and it wound up impacting me in some meaningful way soon after in a seemingly random sequence of events.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join