It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald’s Restaurants in Australia Will Spray Synthetic DNA on Robbers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
DNA McSpray to foil thieves - McDonalds to use new anti-theft spray

* Will be trialled at busiest NSW stores
* Developed in the UK by a cop and chemist
* Will be rolled out nationally if a success

Read more: www.news.com.au...

McDONALD'S restaurants are fighting back against thieves by blasting suspected robbers with an invisible DNA spray as they attempt to flee.

Read more: www.news.com.au...

I honestly don't know what is more concerning here. Is this a test run of sorts? Get the public used to being subjected to even more types of ID procedures or is it really just what they are claiming?

And as I understand it, in Britain for example it is the home owner who will be charged for fighting back and protecting their property in the case of robbery but if McD's does it, it's ok. It doesn't matter how the defense is launched, it is still an assault on a person but it's illegal for a simple citizen to do such a thing.

And lastly, could I put this in MY little corner bakery? Somehow I doubt it. Maybe.

The spray, which remains on the suspect's skin for two weeks and on clothes for up to six months, has been introduced in some of the chain's busiest NSW stores, including those at Parramatta, Granville, Auburn, Lidcome, Kingsford and Wollongong, reported The Daily Telegraph. If the SelectaDNA "forensic marking" spray proves successful in apprehending bandits, McDonald's will introduce the system across all its 780 Australian outlets. Developed in the United Kingdom by a police officer and a chemist, the spray has been used by McDonald's outlets in Britain and Europe. Read more: www.news.com.au...

And they claim an 85% crime reduction rate? This is hard to believe. In fact, I don't believe it one bit.

This is the first time the system will be used in Australia, and although its marketers claim an "85 per cent crime reduction" rate, the proof of its worth is not yet clear. Read more: www.news.com.au...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
They-must-be-overstocked-on-special-sauce.-Anyway
better-on-the-Hamburglars-than-on-the-Hamburgers

edit on 10-1-2012 by 12voltz because: of-the-missing-space-key

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
They probably already put it in the dang food.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
And what if a robber crashes into me as he's fleeing and I get this stuff on me. Does that then make me a suspect?

Seems like so many things could go wrong with this...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

If you start to emit a greenish glow while going through a TSA Grope Station...you'll know.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Why settle for the cops and the lengthy court process.. when we can just spray them and mutate them into zombies...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Manhater

If you start to emit a greenish glow while going through a TSA Grope Station...you'll know.

I'll just tell them, I'm a alien.

edit on 10-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
And what if a robber crashes into me as he's fleeing and I get this stuff on me. Does that then make me a suspect?

Seems like so many things could go wrong with this...

It also says "Suspected" robber. And top that off with the teenage staff being the ones trained to deploy it. WTH?

Yup, so many possibilities of things going sideways.

As mentioned tho, can I put it in my shop? Somehow I think that only Multi-Billion dollar companies are allowed to assault "Possible" robbers.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I cant read the article. Can someone explain to me how exactly spraying the DNA will help find the criminals? Is this a thing where they have to arrest you and then test you for the DNA? Because if it is they midas well just make ink packet shotguns.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

It also says "Suspected" robber. And top that off with the teenage staff being the ones trained to deploy it. WTH?

Oh geez, now that you said young teenagers, I know us old folks are going to regret giving them that toy.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
it has been used for years, i dont know what the non-sense about dna being posted is about. i cant imagine why anyone wouls have a problem with this, except criminals of coarse.

SmartWater Index will remain detectable on skin and hair for weeks and on clothing even longer. The solution is invisible to the naked eye but any traces will glow brightly under ultraviolet light. If a criminal is caught with SmartWater on them, the unique forensic code provides the police service with an irrefutable link back to the scene of the crime.

www.smartwater.com...

nd lastly, could I put this in MY little corner bakery? Somehow I doubt it.

you can use it in your house if you like, is it because the story is about mcdonalds that people would assume this is something sinister?
edit on 10-1-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I was gonna do a thread on this cuz it was pretty interesting. I first wondered why DNA for a substance marker?
The stuff is called SelectDNA HERE

The spray contains a synthetic DNA strand composed of 60 variable chromosomes, said SelectaDNA director David Morrissey.

"SelectaDNA is non-toxic, non-allergenic and perfectly safe to deploy. It meets all Australian standards," he said.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au...
60 variable chromosomes eh? WHy so many? It just seems strange that they would chose DNA for a marker. Who the heck would want to be sprayed by synthetic DNA? Well it may genuinely serve as a deterrent to Mickey D robberies.
Promotional Vid:

spec

link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
I cant read the article. Can someone explain to me how exactly spraying the DNA will help find the criminals? Is this a thing where they have to arrest you and then test you for the DNA? Because if it is they midas well just make ink packet shotguns.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Excellent question. Maybe they will have to have a suspect first. Then roll up on them and scan them.

Or get used to DNA scanners on every corner, mall, school, stadium...pretty much everywhere. This is my REAL guess as to what's coming.

Wake up in the morning, brush your teeth, comb your hair and walk outside through a DNA scanner. Just to see if you have been a law abiding citizen over the last 24 hours.

That's my guess and I'm sticking to it.

"Once there has been a security breach, the hi-tech spray unit will douse fleeing robbers with an invisible, synthetic DNA solution," McDonald's Australia's chief restaurant support officer, Jackie McArthur, said. "The solution is invisible to the naked eye and unique to each location. It stays on clothing for up to six months and on skin for up to two weeks." Read more: www.news.com.au...

link   
great, and i'm sure the robbers will be sure to shoot in retribution when they get sprayed. Who gets whacked with the gun? The employees, or the person who thought to put this system in place?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Another reason that McDonalds sux.

Another reason not to go to McDonalds.... as if I needed another.

link   
reply to post by jude11

I prefer the old dye pack days...

ETA Call me nostalgic but at least we the general public got a laugh out of it too.

edit on 10/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
I was gonna do a thread on this cuz it was pretty interesting. I first wondered why DNA for a substance marker?
The stuff is called SelectDNA HERE

The spray contains a synthetic DNA strand composed of 60 variable chromosomes, said SelectaDNA director David Morrissey.

"SelectaDNA is non-toxic, non-allergenic and perfectly safe to deploy. It meets all Australian standards," he said.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au...
60 variable chromosomes eh? WHy so many? It just seems strange that they would chose DNA for a marker. Who the heck would want to be sprayed by synthetic DNA? Well it may genuinely serve as a deterrent to Mickey D robberies.
Promotional Vid:

spec

This is most likely the prelude to having everyone marked for ID no matter where you go.

This is getting F*%&^ ridiculous IMO.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

i cant imagine why anyone wouls have a problem with this, except criminals of coarse.

Man people love this type of logic. "If you are doing nothing wrong, why should you be concerned?"

It's a lovely statement that allows for every single Human Right to be taken away...that's why!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

"The solution is invisible to the naked eye and unique to each location. It stays on clothing for up to six months and on skin for up to two weeks." original source

Creepy(as mentioned already, that DNA seems like a bit much, future motive?)...
Coming to a USA fast food joint near you! McDonalds, wonder who else your going to "deter"... ie people from eating there.

edit on 10-1-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake

"The solution is invisible to the naked eye and unique to each location. It stays on clothing for up to six months and on skin for up to two weeks." original source

Creepy(as mentioned already, that DNA seems like a bit much, future motive?)...
Coming to a USA fast food joint near you! McDonalds, wonder who else your going to "deter"... ie people from eating there.

edit on 10-1-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

Yup, staying on clothing for up to 6 Months? How do WE know this? Because they tell us and we are to believe what we are told I guess.

And what about the collateral damage as mentioned? I'm sprayed because I'm near the suspect as well. He gets away and I get ID'd next week. hmmm

No, there is something else wrong here that we aren't seeing. I can't say for sure but the cost of putting these gadgets in every McDonald's must be astronomical. Compared to the number of robberies?

I don't know but something smells like day old french fries here.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join