It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania to impose asset test for food stamps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

www.philly.com

Pennsylvania plans to make the amount of food stamps that people receive contingent on the assets they possess - an unexpected move that bucks national trends and places the commonwealth among a minority of states.

Specifically, the Department of Public Welfare said that as of May 1, people under 60 with more than $2,000 in savings and other assets would no longer be eligible for food stamps. For people over 60, the limit would be $3,250.

Houses and retirement benefits would be exempt from being counted as assets. If a person owns a car, that vehicle also would also be exempt, but any ad
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cato-at-liberty.org
www.post-gazette.com
www.wnep.com

www.bls.gov...
edit on 10-1-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: content

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
What got me was the $2000 in assets or savings. Heck any one with some decent furniture and an extra months worth of rent in the bank one would not probably qualify. But that is not the worst of it.

"Pennsylvania would become one of only 11 states with the low-threshold $2,000 asset test - along with Alaska, Arkansas, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming, USDA figures show. The $2,000 figure was set in 1980 and has never been changed, USDA figures show."

The $2000 threshold was established in 1980 when the program was developed and it has never been adjusted for inflation. By using the governments own inflation calculator at the BLS.gov website you can calculate that due to inflation $2000 in 1980 has the buying power of $748 in 2011! Or looking at it differently in 2011 it would be about $5500 in monetary value.

For more fun just use the BLS inflation calculator and see how much value the dollars had the year you were born.
1. go to the bls inflation calculator
2 put ($1) one dollar in the top box and change the year to
3 put the year you were born in the lower box

hit calculate and you will how much the dollar has been eroded by inflation since you were born.

I was born in 1960 and the dollar has lost 87 cents of buying power since then!

www.philly.com
edit on 10-1-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: add content

edit on 10-1-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns

www.philly.com

Pennsylvania plans to make the amount of food stamps that people receive contingent on the assets they possess - an unexpected move that bucks national trends and places the commonwealth among a minority of states.

Specifically, the Department of Public Welfare said that as of May 1, people under 60 with more than $2,000 in savings and other assets would no longer be eligible for food stamps. For people over 60, the limit would be $3,250.

Houses and retirement benefits would be exempt from being counted as assets. If a person owns a car, that vehicle also would also be exempt, but any ad

Related News Links:
www.cato-at-liberty.org
www.post-gazette.com
www.wnep.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.bls.gov...

So? NJ and Florida has had this policy for eons, but how many people will lie about having that hummer or that Escalade? It's done all the time here in Florida the damn car is llike $65,000 aaproximately, sell the damn thing and stop using my tax dollars!!!!

Well nm then Vehicles are exempt WTH??

edit on 10-1-2012 by ldyserenity because: to add

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

My specific problem is that since the program was started in 1980 with a $2000 threshold has never been adjusted for inflation. Do you think that you $2000 has the same buying power as in 1980? I know it does not ..

This is like never having a COLA for SSI

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I wonder...what is the definition/limitations of "other assets"?

I mean, what if someone is in need of food stamps but they have a wedding ring valued at $2,000+.....would that broke individual be expected to sell their ring in order to get food stamps? How about if they own a vehicle valued at more than $2K? Will they be required to sell the vehicle? From my perspective, this law appears to have all kinds of stupid written all over it.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Actually Personally no, but most of those people have $65,000 dollar cars, they can sell them get a piece of junk clunker to get from point A to point b and use that money for food...also houses and any other "Asset" you own should be included, the only part I agree with is the retirement for 60+ people NOT being included, other than that you own a house cars and boats sell the damn stuff and pay for food. Most people with 2,000 in the bank has at least two out of three and they live off my money!!! When I needed the help...denied with nothing to my name not even a car I had to sell off everything little that I did own (which wasn't much) to live!!!! So I agree with this. Most people in Philly that have that amount in a bank account I can say with 100% accuracy are NOT hurting, I lived in that city! I saw what they are living in (Owned homes) and driving escalades. So it is an accurate determination.
edit on 10-1-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Bale said DPW estimated that 2 percent of the 1.8 million Pennsylvanians receiving food stamps would be affected by the asset test.

Cars are not a necessity, make them sell the car and make them cash in savings and investments before they can get public money.
So 2% of the people will loose there benefits. The US government website says that Pen has 12.3 million people; so that means 15% of the people in the state are on food stamps. I think the best thing for society is to cap the percentage of people who can access these programs at 2-5% of the states population. That means that 15% of the people in the state are getting everything they need to live from the government and not contributing to society. What ever happened to personal responsibility? You want to be an adult get a job and stop being a leech on society.

To paraphrase "Are there no work houses? No debtors prisons?"

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I like the idea.
Nothing I hate more than seeing someone using food stamps, or a stamp card nowadays and then exiting the store only to get in their mercedes.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Clearly, Pennsylvania no longer wants to have people that need food stamps.

If you make it hard to qualify for food stamps and welfare, then the people that need that type of assistance will move elsewhere.

California is also broke. The headlines in one of the newspapers this weekend was "Big Cuts To Welfare Proposed"
The state is running in the red. I think they should look at Pennsylvania and follow suit.

Perhaps we in California can export poor people.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Actually Personally no, but most of those people have $65,000 dollar cars, they can sell them get a piece of junk clunker to get from point A to point b and use that money for food...also houses and any other "Asset" you own should be included, the only part I agree with is the retirement for 60+ people NOT being included, other than that you own a house cars and boats sell the damn stuff and pay for food. Most people with 2,000 in the bank has at least two out of three and they live off my money!!! When I needed the help...denied with nothing to my name not even a car I had to sell off everything little that I did own (which wasn't much) to live!!!! So I agree with this. Most people in Philly that have that amount in a bank account I can say with 100% accuracy are NOT hurting, I lived in that city! I saw what they are living in (Owned homes) and driving escalades. So it is an accurate determination.
edit on 10-1-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

so, you believe that gas; food and heating oil clothing and so on costs the same as in 1980?

OK good uck with that theroy .... it is just wrong.....

you do understand the concept of inflation?? just asking

edit on 10-1-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: context

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

it disgusts me too but if you really read the article the first car is exempt. The $2000 is savings and assets ... you know your family heirlooms; furniture; tv, appaliances and more.....

and this program ws stared in 1980 and has never had an increase in the amount. I will ask you the same question I did another poster in a different way? Does $2000 today buy the same or more as it did in 1980? What was the cost of gas in 1980? rent? electric bill? taxes? water/sewer bill?

get my drift?
edit on 10-1-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: spelling

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Muttley2012

this is another issue ... an asset could be anything from Pelle Lindberghs rookie card to jewelry

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

So, if I outside of Chester County or Philly I don't need a car to live or work? I believe this is statewide not just for Philly!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
it should be aimed at people like this:

Man wins Lottery and still legally collects food stamps

news.yahoo.com...

A Michigan man who won $2 million in a state lottery game continues to collect food stamps 11 months after striking it rich. And there's nothing the state can do about it, at least for now.

Leroy Fick, 59, of Auburn won $2 million in the state lottery TV show "Make Me Rich!" last June. But the state's Department of Human Services determined he was still eligible for food stamps, Fick's attorney, John Wilson of Midland, said Tuesday.

Eligibility for food stamps is based on gross income and follows federal guidelines; lottery winnings are considered liquid assets and don't count as income. As long as Fick's gross income stays below the eligibility requirement for food stamps, he can receive them, even if he has a million dollars in the bank.

edit on 10-1-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Hmm... I set it for 1913 and got this:

$1.00 in 1913 has the same buying power as $22.85 in 2011.

Anyway... setting the value of assets at $2,000 is ridiculous. Most people in the Middle Class have around $2,000 on hand at least for a minor safety net to make sure they do not have to go onto welfare in case of a loss of employment or other situation.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Go back to the pre-1970's when surplus AMERICAN farm products were distributed instead of:

1. Food stamps
2. Paying farmers to NOT grow crops.

I remember poor neighbors with huge blocks of cheese, lard, butter, 20 pound boxes of dried milk, 25 pound bags of flour, rice, oats, sugar. They actually had to open a cookbook. They never went hungry. They ate as well as anyone in the neighborhood and they couldn't afford dirt to step upward to be dirt poor.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I see what you are saying and there is merit there.
However, when your car cost more than my HOME, there is also another valid point.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

working on foreclosed homes I can tell you that housing prices vary widely in the US

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

They may only have one car that is an escalade or hummer they range from

2012 Cadillac Escalade

Select a TrimCompare Trims

Escalade:

Price Range:
$65,720 - $73,850

MPG Range:
13 - 20 mpg

Bodystyles:
SUVs

Read more: www.motortrend.com...

And
I can't seem to find any prices listed for Hummers anyway though WTH needs a car that costs that much?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

not me thats for sure ..... but one car is exempt and the second is at $4650 I believe ...

I mean all someone has to do is put it in their kids name....

so the car issue is not even a problem here ....
edit on 10-1-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: tense

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join