It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question: Would you like living in a country that isn't a 'super power'?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Lately, I've noticed a lot of resentment towards the US and other Western States by their own citizens. People objecting to the kind of imperialism that takes place in the modern day.

Objections to things like:

Intelligence operations influencing public opinion.
Intelligence operations to undermine opposing nations and their military.
Sanctions against opposing nations.
Economic manipulation against opposing nations.

Etc, and so on and so forth.

With recent things like Libya, and the current focus on Iran, there is a large sentiment that the West should not have any involvement in world affairs. What also accompanies this, I notice, is a complete disregard for the "victim" states and their history, track record, or intentions.

Personally, I think it isn't so bad today. But I do agree to with opinion that their should be public honesty.

However, most that call for this, would like to see all imperialistic operations cease.

My question is, if it weren't the West that was involved in so many other countries business, who would it be? And would you want that?

The other question I suppose is, would you expect other nations, if they were a global superpower, to be better, worse or the same as the West should they rise to power?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yes, I love living in Canada!

Edit: But I would love to have super powers!
edit on 10-1-2012 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I am living in a country that is not a superpower.

I do like it.

Little NZ!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Technically, Canada applies, because it is tied into the US. Benefiting (or not benefiting) from its actions.

And yes, I too would like to have superpowers...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Feeling great up here in Sweden

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Starting to think I should have rephrased the question.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That could be said about any ally of US. Or are you talking about the fact that we share a border?

...or third world country?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
NZ here, we don't have any superpowers!

I'm enjoying it quite fine thank you, and I don't necessarily view the west's actions as "imperialism". Say I'm naive, say I'm ignorant and brainwashed - but I do believe that things could be a lot worse without western influence in the world. I'm not so PC that I can't admit that certain cultures (and subcultures!) could do with some civilizing.
edit on 10-1-2012 by Alushe because: spelling mistake

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

its always about money.. and controlling projected profits.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I'm one of the people that feels resentment lately.
The thing i get angry about is the ever rising cost of daily life, mostly ever rising taxes.
Despite the ever rising costs we can't seem the feed the poor, give proper healthcare, create jobs etc yet we do seem to have money to bomb certain countries back into the stoneage.

We should mind our freaking bussines.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alushe
NZ here, we don't have any superpowers!

I'm enjoying it quite fine thank you, and I don't necessarily view the west's actions as "imperialism".

That's kinda the point of the thread. I don't object to it per say but I think it should be called for what it is.

I'd be happy with it. Some couldn't live with the idea though.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

reply to post by boncho

That could be said about any ally of US. Or are you talking about the fact that we share a border?

...or third world country?

I would say any country that benefits from the US (or allied countries) active world affairs.

To break it down in simpler terms. Would you like to be on the other side, or do you think if there were another country leading the pact, that things would be better?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
i often wish i had been born in some nomadic tribe, either far far FAR north in canada, or somewhere in the bulk of Russia and Asia.. or maybe as a bushmen..

just somewhere where i would have never heard more than a few whispers of the deranged insanity that is "civilization". and somewhere that would require far too much effort for civilization to find me...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
I'm one of the people that feels resentment lately.
The thing i get angry about is the ever rising cost of daily life, mostly ever rising taxes.
Despite the ever rising costs we can't seem the feed the poor, give proper healthcare, create jobs etc yet we do seem to have money to bomb certain countries back into the stoneage.

We should mind our freaking bussines.

I like your opinion. At the same time, those other countries have had many of the same problems or worse for many years.

The world is suffering a downturn right now, not just one country. That being said, to say that the actions of the West are hurting its own citizens could be taken as shortsighted. Because when the global economy was doing good, western nations were doing great.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Ditto here too, Canada is great and to avoid a one liner post I will add this.

I think that the vast majority of people here love it but at the same time bitch about taxes.......that is until they hit the hospital for surgery.
Then it is time to thank god for our high taxes, and thank god not to be in perpetual wars since WW2.
This thread makes you think and I thank you OP.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
yes... love living out here in the jungle of s.e asia.
dont have to put up with the arrogance , nosyness and bovine fecal matter attitude of idiots living in a country that forces its will on others around the world at gunpoint and murders for profit.
nothing to be proud of living in a "superpower".. they should mind their own damn business and stop meddling where they are unwanted , unwelcome, unneeded.. americans go home and stay there..

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The world is definitely on a downturn.
I couldn't agree more.

At the same time, those other countries have had many of the same problems or worse for many years.

While that may be..
How does bombing a country fix these things?
How does bombing a country fix anything at all?

The west has vested interests in every war that is fought.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
well, I have to be honest here

I have recently moved abroad from the USA. I did it so as to see life from a different perspective. I am very happy I did. I have learned exactly what I do appreciate about the US and its people, while firmly establishing in me the things I don't like.

I did not leave because I didn't love my home and my country, I left because I could no longer grow in a society that silences opposing thought. I am responsible for me and my actions. I chose to find the better me in me, rather than in my ability to understand my neighbor. In the end I think I chose correctly. I plan on returning home one day but not until I have become who my country needs me to be. Who I see myself being to my community.

I am no traitor for knowing my world better and am happy I was able to get away so as to see the bigger picture. I recommend seeing this wonderful world since it is in essence ours. The whole world belongs to humanity. Why not learn of your species heritage? even if for just a while.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

To break it down in simpler terms. Would you like to be on the other side, or do you think if there were another country leading the pact, that things would be better?

Yes i DO think you should re-formulate your question since i think most people don' get the point what you are actually asking.

As for me, as part of the "West" (which means USA, Western Europe etc.)...yes i think i am "better" off on this side than on the other side. Because i DO think that our "imperialistic" way (as some call it) is indeed the better one, freedom and liberty is better than some camel-herder government.

What is the alternative? Living in Iran, North Korean, Cuba, China?

People are always trigger-happy to point out the FLAWS of our "imperialistic" system (there are indeed many!!) - but this does BY FAR not mean that living on the other side in some militaristic regime is "better" as opposed to our life-style.

It's a FACT that in such countries individual liberties are perverted and often not even existent, they are brain-washing, power-hungry inbreed regimes, locking away and censoring their own people....ON A FAR GREATER level compared to what we have here.

It also no surprise that those regimes hate us that much, reason being that freedom (democracy etc.) to THEIR own people would mean the collapse of their own society - the collapse of THEIR leadership and control structures. (The biggest enemy of those LEADERS (!!) are their own people and the danger that the people might become aware they don't have freedom, are censored and limited in many ways. Those regimes can only exist and kept up by keeping their people under tight control/brain washing etc...and "freedom" is the biggest danger those leaders are fearing..this is why they fear us..)

AGAIN..i am not saying that we are free of all of this, no way...but the flaws and problems we have are pale in comparison when other regimes are BASING THEIR EXISTENCE on all those lies.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
No.. I would not. I do have many more freedoms which are taken for granted. It is also not might"fault" I am here. I thank the Lord for that. I do take for granted how people overcome their hardships and strife to gain the same freedoms.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join