It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scots Will Vote on Independence in Fall of 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
" Trying to seize the initiative from pro-independence Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond, London said it would allow Scotland to hold an independence referendum but only on terms acceptable to it. "

Source / Alternative source

Jan. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Alex Salmond, Scotland’s nationalist first minister, said he aims to call a referendum on independence from the U.K. in the fall of 2014, a year that will see the 700th anniversary of the Scots’ defeat of the English at the Battle of Bannockburn.

He made the announcement today as Michael Moore, the Scottish secretary in the U.K.’s coalition government, set out plans to give Salmond the power to hold the vote, provided he agreed to accept limits on his powers over its timing and the wording of the question.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If Scotland does achieve independence, I may return and find home there, the place of my ancestors.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The scots aren't to happy apparently about the conditions the British are trying to place on the referendum. London wants only one question on the ballot paper, a yes or no on independence, ruling out a second question on granting more powers to the Scottish government that voters wary of full independence might opt for.

Also the Scots would have right's over the Lion's share of North Sea oil revenues, and would have it's own forces and foreign policy, rejecting the nuclear subs near Glasgow.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManjushriPrajna
If Scotland does achieve independence, I may return and find home there, the place of my ancestors.

Ditto buddy

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ManjushriPrajna

Do you know why Scotland joined the union in 1707?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Mostly cause we were pretty skint after trying colonisation in Central America, and cause England brought in the Alien Act crippling us further, plus those in power and with wealth were corrupt and accepted bribes to sign us over. Plus there's the shared King and religious zealot protestant/catholic crap that was so important to those in power at the time.

Anyway, no matter the reasons, the people didn't get a say in the matter then so it's good if they do now.

new topics

top topics

join