It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beijing rejects sanctions on Iranian oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
A chinese vice foreign minister told U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Tim Geithner that China supports global nonproliferation efforts but that trade is separate from the Iranian nuclear issue !!

No wonder since China needs Iranian oil and may have some barter agreements in place.
But China has been reducing their imports from Iran recently anyway, for "other" reasons.

The minister also said (in so many words) that China is not financially supporting any nuclear programs in Iran.

Geithner apparently is the U.S. representative attempting to get Asian countries to stop oil imports from Iran.

I wonder why Geithner is making the tour ?
Seems that he should more worried about the trouble in Washington ?

Should China, a major trade partner of the U.S. be penalized for their Iran deals ?

Is China involved in Iran's nuclear "program" ?

Jan 09, 2012 - Washington Post

BEIJING — Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner, visiting Beijing this week, is expected to press China’s leaders to reduce the country’s oil imports from Iran. But Geithner is likely to find Beijing resistant to putting financial pressure on the government in Tehran.

In a briefing for reporters Monday, Cui Tiankai, the vice foreign minister responsible for U.S. relations, said that China supports global nonproliferation efforts but that trade is separate from the Iranian nuclear issue.

“The normal trade relations and energy cooperation between China and Iran have nothing to do with the nuclear issue,” Cui said. “We should not mix issues of different natures, and China’s legitimate concerns and demands should be respected.”

Beijing rejects sanctions on Iranian oil

Note:
There has been no information released so far as to what the Orientals think about Geithner's ears !
-- More on that issue as details become available !

I hope Canada is gearing up for more oil production !

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It's funny you mention his ears, I was just looking at that too. I also noticed he has aged a lot since the bailout a from a few years ago.

As you said, this will just mean more oil production from Canada, while our politicians and corporations get rich off this petrol export.

You would think they would send someone more convincing than Geithner if they wanted to trick the Chinese into submitting to Iranian sanctions.

Man those ears are killing me

edit on 10-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Timothy needs to talk to the regional countries about slapping sanctions on Israel next, as they refulse to sign the NPT, meanwhile Iran allows inspectors into it's nuclear power plants and they still get sanctioned. What's up with that?

Go China!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I believe Geithner speaks Chinese.

His sordid resume ---

Geithner was born in New York City, but spent most of his childhood in other countries, including present-day Zimbabwe, Zambia, India, and Thailand where he completed high school at the International School Bangkok.[5] He attended Dartmouth College, in the tradition of his father and paternal grandfather, graduating with an A.B. in government and Asian studies in 1983.[5] In the process he studied Mandarin at Peking University in 1981 and at Beijing Normal University in 1982.[6] He earned an M.A. in international economics and East Asian studies from Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies in 1985.[5][7] He has studied Mandarin[5] and Japanese.[8]

Geithner's paternal grandfather, Paul Herman Geithner (1902–1972), emigrated with his parents from the German town of Zeulenroda to Philadelphia in 1908.[9] His father, Peter F. Geithner, was the director of the Asia program at the Ford Foundation in New York in the 1990s. During the early 1980s, Peter Geithner oversaw the Ford Foundation's microfinance programs in Indonesia being developed by Ann Dunham Soetoro, President Barack Obama's mother, and they met in person at least once.[10] Geithner's maternal grandfather, Charles F. Moore, was an adviser to President Dwight D. Eisenhower and served as Vice President of Public Relations from 1952 to 1964 for Ford Motor Company.[11]

Geithner married Carole Sonnenfeld on June 8, 1985, at his parents' summer home in Orleans, Massachusetts. They have two children, a daughter and a son.[12]
Mr Spock

and .... Christian Zionist ?

Geithner’s father, Peter, was a "secular Jew" and was known to periodically attend an Episcopal Church, perhaps to further his or his son’s career. The senior Geithner served as director of the Ford Foundation’s Asia program in the 1980s and was Ann Dunham’s (Barack Obama’s mother) boss and financier of her microfinance development projects in Indonesia.
"Swindler’s List" (biased opinionated article)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Canada just sold the Chinese an oil sands company of their very own....talk of pipline to Kitamat BC and loading for china voyage there.....

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The thing about China is they have one eye on their own faltering economy and internal problems which will mount when the juggling act – that is unrestrained economic growth – falters and slows.

They also have a political interest in keeping these autocracies propped up, so the failure of Iran would be detrimental to China on many levels. A dependent Iran gives China a ready supply of oil.

Originally posted by xuenchen
Is China involved in Iran's nuclear "program" ?

Who knows. One thing shrouds these closed autocracies and that is the amount of dealing they do which is not known. Look at the way missile technology flitters around the autocracies of China, North Korea, Iran, Pakistan, Russia et al.

Regards

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

It looks like the Chinese might give in:

China premier to visit key Mideast energy nations

China’s Premier Wen Jiabao will visit three key Middle Eastern oil and gas suppliers—Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Qatar—from the weekend, amid signs that Beijing wants to expand its options in the face of US sanctions aimed at Iran.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry said yesterday that Wen would meet host leaders, including Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah, to “thoroughly exchange views on developing bilateral relations and on international and regional issues of common concern”.

It's not looking very good for Iranian oil exports. This will pretty much equal to an act of war.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

umm, in politics, the weaker power always goes calling on the strong one
not the other way around

just saying

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

If you think the U.S. is weak now, wait until China lets them fight a couple more wars. Once the U.S. is done with Iran and Syria they will be even more worn out than they already are. China could easily stop these wars with diplomacy and financial tactics, instead they just sit back and let the West tire themselves out. They prove this by publicly announcing that they will just shop around.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cheering this on. I'm bordering the U.S. and once things go bad down south we will feel it here too. It's just irritating to watch this and not having any control over it.

Also, I believe errand boy Geithner has made several trips to China since he was treasurer.

new topics

top topics

join