It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mushroom Cloud Seen After N.Korea Explosion 9/9/04

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I'm sure these kinds of things happen every day, nothing to worry about!

I wonder how the latest football game turned out?

I'll only believe it when President Bush comes on TV and reports it.

In all seriousness, this is very bad. Even if it was an accident, it will prompt other countries to show their colors (including the US). That is correct, Bush did declare NK a member of the evildoing Axis of Evil- therefore, if this event is a demonstration of the testing of a WMD, what should the world do, if anything?

MK

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
If its a forest fire then why is the seismic activity going nuts?

As Nerdling said, satellite tasking is expensive ... so they knew it was to happen. One can argue complacency but they have to realize, what could the U.S. even do? They can't go in and invade. They can't tell them to not do it the day before because that'd imply to the American public that they know. The best thing to do is wait, act surprised, and slap sanctions. But sanctions don't work.

You always hear about black projects, but why don't they actually use some of this stuff. Should we except an increase of UFO activity in the area?

What are the implications of murdering Kim Jong II. How would the power vacuum be filled? Would a Chinese puppet be installed instantly? How would that change the economics of the region; China imports a huge amount of material from South Korea. Would being that much closer force cheaper prices via intimidation?

What are the implications of starting a huge earthquake in North Korea? Why am I thinking of the succession of South Korea's president? He was very lucky wasn't he? Is something dancing in the shadows and we can't quite see it?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
As i said before.
The temperature is not consistent with forest fire conditions

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chieftian Chaos
Of course they'll say this...complete upset and turmoil would result in the States if the gov't came out and told them it was a nuclear test. My one problem with this is why it wasn't reported elsewhere. I mean...nuclear bombs are pretty massive, and it is usually known when one is set off. But with the suppsed with of the cloud...it has to be a nuke or something of that magnitude.

Nukes can be massive, but if this was a test they would have made it small. They don't have alot of room. They don't want to blow off all thier fissile material.

But my question is this: If it was a test and not an accident why was it above ground? They know we cound pick up an underground test. They do not have alot of land and the fallout would be unpredicatable. Isn't that area one of thier agriculture regions?

link   

Originally posted by Chieftian Chaos
I'm also surprised S. Korea isn't making a really huge statement about this blast. You would think they would since they are knocking distance next door.

Here is what South Korea have to say.
Nothing about this explosion yet, but instead this:

6-Party Nuke Talks Not Likely in Sept.

"Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon said Friday that the next round of six-party talks on North Korea�s nuke crisis, slated for late this month, are looking more and more unlikely to take place this month as originally expected."

link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

Originally posted by Seth Bullock
CNN is reporting US officials saying it was not a nuclear blast, but a forrest fire?!?!

Coming from the same people who brought you the "exploding flashlight" excuse.

Aaaah, but shouldn't we be collecting as much information from as many sources as possible before we start drawing a conclusions?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
The CBC adds this bit of information:

The explosion in Kim Hyong Jik county produced a crater large enough to be seen by a satellite, ... Kim Hyong Jik is reported to hold a major missile base.

CBC News

link   

As i said before.
The temperature is not consistent with forest fire conditions

I agree with you. Not even with a Pyro in the neighborhood. I did look at the weather Nerdling, but I did not think ot check the temps like you did. I wanted to see which way the wind is blowing. At the NK Capital its NW at 4 mile an hour. I could not find the area the blast was reported from, but if there is a cloud its well within China by now and depending on the winds, maybe Japan?????

link   

Bleys
If it was an accident lets hope lil' Kim had a front row seat.

I'm Assuming you meant: Kim jong ill

and not: Lil Kim

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Found this map on encarta. If as FredT is reporting the winds are NW, it would blow the radiation back over NK. Not a wise idea. Unless prevailing NW winds are not common.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
This from March of 2003, when the US announced that NK would acquire nuclear capabilities "within months":

The United States has also bolstered its aerial prowess in the region by sending 24 bombers -- 12 B-1s and 12 B-52s -- to its base in Guam.

North Korea says the bomber deployment and an increase of spy flights were preparations for pre-emptive strikes.

www.cnn.com...

As further background information, NK has conducted underground nuclear tests in Pakistan :

On June 10, 1998, an Air Koryo chartered plane took off the runway of the Islamabad International Airport of Pakistan. No one had anticipated the significance of this Pyongyang-bound flight in the affairs of the Korean peninsula. On board the plane were the 20 North Korean nuclear scientists who had conducted an underground nuclear test at Pakistan's Balochistan nuclear test site. In addition, the plane was loaded with the nuclear test equipment and test data.

www.kimsoft.com...

Are we beginning to get the picture yet?

MK

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
FYI I checked weather.com and other sites.

It's relatively cold in their neck of the woods for forest fires.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   

"The damage and crater left by the explosion in Kim Hyong Jik county was big enough to be noticed by a satellite, the source said.

"We understand that a mushroom-shaped cloud about 2.2 miles to 2.5 miles in diameter was monitored during the explosion," Yonhap quoted an unidentified diplomatic source in Seoul as saying.

Crater? What? What Crater? Hey Uncle Sam I thought this was a forest fire!

So, theres a crater, a massive explosion, wet weather and they're peddling a forest fire excuse?

Draw your own conclusions.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Humidity and wind speed are more major factors in forrest fires then temps. Most of our wildfires happen in the mountains where the temps hover in the eighties. BUT if it's dry, then they can spread rapidly. What was the humidity and dew point?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Quoted from my previous post.

Whether or not it was an accident or a test you can bet that having it occur near a missile base is making the boys at the Pentagon VERY nervous!

edit: spelling

[edit on 9/12/2004 by Gools]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Crater? What? What Crater? Hey Uncle Sam I thought this was a forest fire!

So, theres a crater, a massive explosion, wet weather and they're peddling a forest fire excuse?

Draw your own conclusions.

I debunked the "forestfire excuse" already on page two in this thread...
(as well as in the other "mushroomcloud-threads" on ATS)...

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I guess the troops can now be removed from Iraq, or at least reduced, as there is a much more urgent matter that needs to be dealt with.

If this really was a nuke test, I'm not sure whether it makes them more likely to be the target of military action, or less likely.

[edit on 12-9-2004 by AceOfBase]

link   
Here's another story:

"We have received an unsubstantiated report on traces of an explosion in North Korea," he told reporters after a meeting of security-related officials. The unnamed source in Beijing said the blast had prompted speculation in Washington that the explosion was possibly related to a nuclear experiment, it said.

This one has unnamed sources in Beijing saying that Washington is speculating that is was a nuclear test.

Link

[edit on 9/12/04 by Bleys]

link   
Theres no data listed on weather.com

I don't know where else to go.

weather.com has no data listed and the results from weather underground arent there

However, If you want to know the trend its over 80% humidity.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
CNN is Now Reporting that the US is claiming that the 3 Mile Wide Mushroom cloud with Sesmic graphs is a forrest fire ??????

The U.S. official said the cloud could be the result of a forest fire.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join