It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biofuel cells may turn cockroaches into cyborgs (COOL!!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I just finished reading one of the most fascinating articles I think I've ever read. I do have to admit the implications for this are quite scary, as you'll see below.

The sugars in a cockroach's belly have been harnessed by a fuel cell and converted into electricity, a big step toward turning insects into cyborgs, scientists are reporting.

Once miniaturized to the point that the fuel cells are non-invasive to the cockroaches, they can be implanted to power sensors or recording devices, for example.

Okay, so what does all that mean? Here comes the scary part...

"If you want to be futuristic, one may use the energy stored to try to control the neurological system of the cockroach and then you might be able to (control) the cockroach (with) a joystick," he told me.

Yes, in the future, that nasty cockroach scurrying across the kitchen floor might actually be a spy set loose by a nosy neighbor, or the CIA.

All I can say is woah!

Read more about Military uses for this tech.

Source

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Just another reason to hate cockroaches, I guess. Kind of reminds me of his other bug-friend who has a horrible rep and always gets killed for nothing!

Edit - why can I NEVER seem to embed a photo???
edit on 1/10/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Cockroaches are the perfect choice for spying... once you've figured out how to stop humans from stamping them with the foot.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Those images are funny.
I liked the 2nd one., "Did you just spray me with furniture polish?"

If they turn into cyborgs, My arse, is going to kill them all, Don't care if I have to use a hammer.

I hate roaches.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
Just another reason to hate cockroaches, I guess. Kind of reminds me of his other bug-friend who has a horrible rep and always gets killed for nothing!

LMAO, i have used, deodorant spray, washroom freshner spray, cologne,.. and whatever i can find at the moment.... poor spiders :/.

In fact, only reason i kill them is because i'm afraid they might go into my ears or something when i sleep.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Originally posted by impaired

LMAO, i have used, deodorant spray, washroom freshner spray, cologne,.. and whatever i can find at the moment.... poor spiders :/.

In fact, only reason i kill them is because i'm afraid they might go into my ears or something when i sleep.

ok lol! none of those are that bad. When i lived in florida i was the designated BUG fighter, EVERYONE in my family was soooooo afraid of them.... we had never been around bugs the size of your average cat and dog. I am unable to step on bugs i cannot stand the crunch , and the nature of these gigantic bugs was that they HATED ME I can still see those wolf spiders leaping and running at me omg! i had to come to extreme measures,

it was neuclear war time because A i could not squish the bugs, B they were way tooooooo big for flyswatters and C they hated me and wanted to KILL ME.

after some thinking and about 13 dollars later i had left walmart with 10 bottles of aquanet, and a package of bic lighters.

so we laid the bottles each with a lighter in spots around our home, and when it was battle time we would grab them cover them in hairspray and light them on fire.

eventually we found that if careful you could light the spray from the can, and since the nature of these foul beasts was tyrannical and deadly the possiblity of blowing off our hands realy did not scare us.

Then one foul day The Master Spider Queen came along, She was GIGANTIC and HAIRY AS HELL, Eyes like voids deep voids, and pinchers that made your heart want to die. On her back was what looked like a cotton ball, but it was the worse case scenereo alltogether, a bomb. A fully equipped baby spider bomb!
After about 1/2 hour, breaking of the egg sack, and wildly enflaming the 1,000,000 troops that emerged from the bomb, which covered the wall in flames.

WE were traumatized forever. The amount of babies Just ONE of these monstrosities had created, the amount of them that got away from our war on terror inside our home, and the knowledge that each one of these microscopic monsters will grow up and create that many more... was devastating.

after throwing buckets of water on our burning wall we called it a defeat. In the future... we used a whole can of aqua net and more on the bombers... only total annihilation would suffice.

Our war had only just begun before the poisonous snakes poising as innocent toys, rat spies, cockroach milita, and the king scorpion showed up in the end.

I will never move back to a climate that bugs rule the world. I escaped with my family, only to return with massive ptsd and a newly formed obcession with fire balls

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by N3v3rmor3

loved your post hehe I myself am a arachnid hater or maybe they hate me

if you ask me their all bloody aliens.

Thanks for post op it seems you learn something everyday about how man can control nature, I must say though
this is something else why make robots when you can hijack vessels and turn them into one this could be one deadly biological weapon.

new topics

top topics

join