It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim Tebow.....Why is America so fascinated/disgusted with by him???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Tim Tebow almost single-handedly defeated the mighty Steelers in the wild card playoffs this past weekend with an 80 yard TD strike on the first play of overtime....
This year Tebow is 8-4 as a starter on a team that began the year 1-4...including the huge upset win over the defending AFC Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.....

-His stats are not the point of this post

I am curious why America is so fascinated by him on both sides of the fence...
His playoff game this past Sunday night was the highest rated wild card game in over 20 years...

Is it because he is white and plays a style traditionally considered to be black?
Here is an ESPN First Take debate between Skip Bayless and former Steeler QB Kordell Stewart....

Is it due to his strong convictions as a Christian Baptist?
This is another clip from ESPN First Take with the same Skip Bayless debating this time Chris Carter and Stephen A. Smith.

These are just 2 videos on youtube...there are many more...And you can google the thousands more News stories every day regarding this young man...
Personally, I dont really know the answer as to why we are obsessed with either his success or demise but I am fascinated by the story all the same....
Plus growing up in Texas, I LOVE football....

What are y'alls thoughts?

Sidenote about the author:
I grew up white

And also a Southern Baptist....
Though I left the church many years ago based in part on their beliefs re homosexuality...
Having a gay sibling who was born gay tends to do that!!!!

-Christosterone

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It's because the Bronco's are winning.
People believe Tebow is the ONLY one behind the teams winning when he isn't.
One man doesn't make a football team. If it wasn't for the offence, he'd have no one to throw to or help score points. Without the defense, the other team would score countless TDs and leave them in the dust.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christosterone

Sidenote about the author:
I grew up white

^
^ That may be the most confusing thing I've ever read.

On topic, I think the sports people (both fans and players) don't like the idea that "winning" is being placed on the shoulders of one man, and the other side of that equation is, it's offensive to think "God" is helping a guy win a football game, while homelessness, joblessness, and illness are on the rise.

edit on 10-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Christosterone

People watch for the excitement. I get disappointed with players that are unlucky or under perform.
Tebow is playing well and is effective. Makes for a good game.----------------------

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
He's the talk because the Broncos went 4-12 last year, and started the year 1-4 this year. After switching from Orton to Tebow, the Broncos have gone from the cellar in the AFC West to beating the Steelers in the playoffs. They went on a run, winning 7 out of 8 games mid-season, which allowed them a playoff spot.

People either love him or hate him. Those that love him, enjoy his game play, winning attitude, and all around positive nature. Additionally the fact that he's a "what you see is what you get" type of person with all aspect of his life.

Those that hate him, seem to be bitter little human beings who probably hate most things in life.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

probably as many reasons as there are people who are fascinated with him. I'm sure it's a mixed bag.

For me, I like seeing someone proving the naysayers wrong. It's especially gratifying when something good happens to who is, for all accounts, a good guy.

He won a Heisman as a junior and decided to come back for his senior year rather than chase the money. He was picked with what was considered at the time to be an absurdly high draft choice. I think that decision to a large degree, cost Josh McDaniels his coaching job.

The stars sort of aligned to give Tebow a legitimate shot this year, and he's taken advantage of the opportunity. It's a good and compelling sports story. I hope Denver dusts the Patriots this week, but I still think Baltimore is the AFC team in Indy next month.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Believer101
It's because the Bronco's are winning.
People believe Tebow is the ONLY one behind the teams winning when he isn't.
One man doesn't make a football team. If it wasn't for the offence, he'd have no one to throw to or help score points. Without the defense, the other team would score countless TDs and leave them in the dust.

Aaron Roders is winning and is AMAZING.....especially when compared to a below average passer like Tebow.
Yet Rodgers and the Packers have almost no buzz surrounding them...at least not on the level of Tebow...

I agree with you it is the team and coaching staff winning these games....which again, brings me back to wonder this particular individual is deified and vilified....
Its really unlike anything i have ever seen..

-Chris

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Christosterone

Because....he's trendy. I'd say more people care about sports than the Constitution in this country.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christosterone
Aaron Roders is winning and is AMAZING.....especially when compared to a below average passer like Tebow.
Yet Rodgers and the Packers have almost no buzz surrounding them...at least not on the level of Tebow...

Everyone expects Rodgers and the Packers to be great. Same reason everyone got jacked about Butler in the NCAA Men's basketball finals the last 2 years. Everyone expects Duke to be there. Butler's a story. Different by degrees, but same principle.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 1/10/2012 by yeahright because: Typo

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Those that hate him, seem to be bitter little human beings who probably hate most things in life.

So, you're saying I'm a bitter little human being who hates everything in life?

No, sorry, I'm not. There are very few things I hate in life, him being one of them.
The reason I hate him is because of all the hype surrounding him.
If you read my first post, it explains why myself, and many others, hate Tim Tebow.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul

On topic, I think the sports people (both fans and players) don't like the idea that "winning" is being placed on the shoulders of one man, and the other side of that equation is, it's offensive to think "God" is helping a guy win a football game, while homelessness, joblessness, and illness are on the rise.

I could not agree more...and as far as know, Tebow has always maintained that God does not care if he wins or loses.
Only that Tebow honors him regardless of the outcome....

Star for you....great post

-Chris

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonhunlo

People watch for the excitement. I get disappointed with players that are unlucky or under perform.
Tebow is playing well and is effective. Makes for a good game.----------------------

You and I are on the same page....
I trul dont think i've ever been as excited to see a (non Cowboys) game as I am to see the Broncos play the Patriots this weekend....

-Chris

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

No, sorry, I'm not. There are very few things I hate in life, him being one of them.
If you read my first post, it explains why myself, and many others, hate Tim Tebow.

So, you're saying you hate him because the media won't shut up about him? And then you try and say you're not a bitter little human that hate's everything? Seems to me that you make my case. Tim Tebow isn't writing the stories. He's playing a GAME. It's the media that's blowing everything out of proportion. So, if you "hate him" because of something he isn't doing, that's pretty damn shallow.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

He's the talk because the Broncos went 4-12 last year, and started the year 1-4 this year. After switching from Orton to Tebow, the Broncos have gone from the cellar in the AFC West to beating the Steelers in the playoffs. They went on a run, winning 7 out of 8 games mid-season, which allowed them a playoff spot.

People either love him or hate him. Those that love him, enjoy his game play, winning attitude, and all around positive nature. Additionally the fact that he's a "what you see is what you get" type of person with all aspect of his life.

Very well put...star for you...

He is just the story that keeps on giving....from playing Orton in the final game of the regular season to Josh McDaniels being hired this week to coach the Pats offense, Tebow creates a tornado of topics...

And I too have such immense respect for both him and the parents who raised such a giving person.
We should all be so lucky to have our son grow up to be like him....

-chris

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Kind of unreasonable to hate someone for something he has no control over, isn't it? The guy's a football player, attempting to use his skills to their maximum potential in a league full of great players. He's humble about it. How do you hate that guy?

As an example, I'm no Kardashian fan, but I blame the media and people giving them attention. Hey, if they have an opportunity, it would be stupid to turn it down because of what some strangers thought. Not their fault, if sufficient numbers give them enough attention, for reasons inexplicable to me, to make them rich and famous.

edit on 1/10/2012 by yeahright because: Formatting

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Double edged sword. People love him because good things are happening to a good person. People hate him because he gets so much attention for good things happening to a good person. If he gives credit to god, this agnostic says "I couldn't care less." I like the passion he plays the game with.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

So, you're saying you hate him because the media won't shut up about him? And then you try and say you're not a bitter little human that hate's everything? Seems to me that you make my case. Tim Tebow isn't writing the stories. He's playing a GAME. It's the media that's blowing everything out of proportion. So, if you "hate him" because of something he isn't doing, that's pretty damn shallow.

Wow, no reason to jump down my throat because I disagree with you on something. Insulting me because I hate someone who has no immediate outcome on your life only shows how truly shallow you are as a person.
Yeah, I hate him. So what? Does it make a difference in your life? Nope.

I also hate him because I'm not a Bronco's fan. Born and raised in Colorado, forever a Bengals fan.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

probably as many reasons as there are people who are fascinated with him. I'm sure it's a mixed bag.

For me, I like seeing someone proving the naysayers wrong. It's especially gratifying when something good happens to who is, for all accounts, a good guy.

He won a Heisman as a junior and decided to come back for his senior year rather than chase the money. He was picked with what was considered at the time to be an absurdly high draft choice. I think that decision to a large degree, cost Josh McDaniels his coaching job.

The stars sort of aligned to give Tebow a legitimate shot this year, and he's taken advantage of the opportunity. It's a good and compelling sports story. I hope Denver dusts the Patriots this week, but I still think Baltimore is the AFC team in Indy next month.

I am in the camp of wanting to see naysayers wrong...especially some of the more vitriolic of those at ESPN...
As a born contrarian, it is right in my wheelhouse.

What is shocking to me is that the Denver front office is yet to really confirm his status as the starter of the future.
I understand why they have not, but if he were a Cowboy, I would love it!!!!

And he would sell tickets like crazy...heck, his TV ratings alone would get at least 2 or 3 more primetime games (eg Sunday Night flex and Monday Night)
Which means more $$$ to the organization....
It would also sell more season tix to a fanbase starving for a quarterback to get behind....as they should be considering the Bronco quarterback legacy!!!!

-Chris

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I take it from reading here that Tebow is a football player of some sort... yawn. Never heard of him, don't care about him.

So not all of America really cares much one way or the other about him...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

iowntheworld.com...

What else is there to say?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join