It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elevator Revolution

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
DaRAGE - Since LONGBOW all ready covered the No Fly Zone, Your other statement was what about a missile. Depending on what year it is when this thing is finally built and finished, There would either be a patriot missle defence or a laser missile defence.

If America has a great interest in something we can make it untouchable, for example - Noboby has ever gotton into Area 51 or stole a gold brick from Fort Knocks.

It could recieve alot of funding for security from all the International partners, and the US Navy.

and say the Pentagon is picking up alot of "chatter" about it going to be shot at, then F-22's could help protect it, or an entire Aircraft Carrier.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Yes, remember that already today there is ABL laser in development. It will be not too difficult to make a laser defense for elevator, all you need is good radar or IR sensors and ground or ship based laser powerfull enough to shoot down misilles 50 km away. ABL has a range of 350+ km, so it's no problem.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
its not 100% stupidity....they can build a giant rail all around the moon and so the elevator can just follow the rail when the moon spins....and another ring around earth so the elevator can move with the moon around the earth....heh might make it cost a few more billions but then they could have a complete hookup

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
There is no need to make elevator from earth to moon, simply because interplanetary (space) flights are much cheaper. You can use nuclear engines or ion engines, and they don't need to be too powerfull. All the people need is to find economicaly effective way how to reach Earth orbit. And the elevator is the cheapest way.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
so does anyone know how they plan to assemble it in space, and then lower it down???
M

I just cant imagine that moving, and trying to control a 60+ mile ribbon/cable is not easy chore

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Boosted
so does anyone know how they plan to assemble it in space, and then lower it down???

After the ground base is done, and the top (anchore) base is in place them they basically get tied together. It would talk several rockets to build this, and this 62,000 mile ribbon cable, is hundreds time stronger then steel but 1/6 the weight, But Yes, thats a l-o-n-g cable, But a delta 4 heavy could do the job.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
So would the cable/ribbon be fully assembled on earth, by fully I mean all 60,000+ miles of it, and then lifted into space to be lowered? Or will they have to lift it to space in pieces and then assemble it, and lower it??

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
im for it, but i dont think were there, not for a while. 10 billion seems nice, maybe bill will lend us some, but theres no way thats feasible. this'll be like the big dig of space exploration.

kim stanely robinson did a great bit in his book (red mars, green mars, blue mars) and they all involved and elevator. what he had, however, was robots who wud fly to asteroids large enuf, manufacture the cable there and send it down to said planet. the final weight wud be the perfect counter balance and elevators themselves wud be next.

obviously, vastly over simplified, but if we cud get it to work, itd probably be easier building down than up. any way you put it, its gonna be one helluva build. i doubt we're in the right century, ur final pic is probably closest to the final outcome.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by boosted
So would the cable/ribbon be fully assembled on earth, by fully I mean all 60,000+ miles of it, and then lifted into space to be lowered? Or will they have to lift it to space in pieces and then assemble it, and lower it??

Depends when it get built, if built in 50 or more years, then robots could build, you would launch a robot up and it would come back down to earth, building the cable along the way (kind of like a spider and web).

But if it gets built in 10 - 20 years, We would have to maneufacture it all on earth then launch it all up in a big ass rocket, then have it fed back down to earth to the base.

I think for strength reasons it will be all 1 peice.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Did you ever take into account Earths magnetics? There center of the Earth just so happens to be a ball of molten iron the size of Mercury spinning very fast. And can any of you guess what would happen if you grounded a cable from outer space? Voltage beyond comprehension.

I believe NASA or somebody tried to tether a spacecraft once, but failed. Their estimates for the current flow were much to low and things were fried.

More information is available in the cover story of a recent SciAm (July perhaps?). I'm going to bed.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
TJ11240 - Again its not going to be made of metal, its not your typical cable, it doesn't conduct electricity nor does it have any magnetic effects.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
its not 100% stupidity....they can build a giant rail all around the moon and so the elevator can just follow the rail when the moon spins....and another ring around earth so the elevator can move with the moon around the earth....heh might make it cost a few more billions but then they could have a complete hookup

a few. lol, nice estimate. id be up for that, its one step closer to that entire futuristic world thing. kinda hard, though, most nations dont want a giant bar goin round through their country, its a major drag. later though, when its all NWO-ized, hit me up, well do lunch

murcielago's got it right. no need to be metal, plenty of other things stronger. carbon-mixtures, diamond (trump's wife's wedding ring should do it), nano-tech, etc. robot can lower it, and it will of course be impeccably timed, and adjustable by rockets.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
But why not use the planet as a generator? If you had enough resistence, you could draw power. That would end all need for coal, oil, and nuclear plants down below.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
How would you use the planet as a generator?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join