It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Lawmaker Files Bill to Raise Florida's Sales Tax by 3 Percent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Source

It's not often you see Republican politicians filing bills to raise taxes, but that's exactly what Rep. Fred Costello of Ormond Beach has done. He has introduced a bill that would add a 3 percent surtax to Florida's sales tax. The bill also supports the idea of added taxes to Internet purchases and bottled water. Doesn't sound very Republican, does it? Well, the bill would also repeal property taxes.

Under HB1181, property taxes collected to fund local education would be eliminated. The 3 percent "education surtax" would instead be enacted beginning in 2013.

Well is this not a great thing or what? Everyone knows that the working class and poor should have to take up the slack seeing as how they do not pay their fair share in taxes each year in this state. The rich here pay far too much what with the no income tax to the state government, pay rather low taxes across the board; all of this is made up by a sales tax (which we all pay) and outrageous cost for anything involving your vehicle.

Florida is not a state for anyone who does not desire low wages, rather abusive working conditions, regressive tax structure, lack of financial assistance (even from charities), and paying an unfair share so that the big boys do not have to.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Florida is by far one of the worst states in this country. Everything the OP stated is truthful.

The misconception that it is a paradise is, well, funny in the least.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Well, the bill would also repeal property taxes.

I've never been a fan of property taxes, personally.

And as for taxing bottled water, not sure.
Is bottled water a luxury or necessity?

Probably a bit of both now-a-days.

I do know that a huge portion of Florida residents, rich and poor, rent or lease, and I suspect the lack of property tax would work it's way into monthly rent or lease payments, no?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree

Well, the bill would also repeal property taxes.

I do know that a huge portion of Florida residents, rich and poor, rent or lease, and I suspect the lack of property tax would work it's way into monthly rent or lease payments, no?

Let me tell you a little secret about pricing:
Most people ask for as much money as possible when they try to sell something.
If you can ask 500$ a week, you ask 500$ a week.
Of course a seller is interested to pass on a tax increase to the customer (And his ability to do so depends on how much market power he has.)
But passing on a tax decrease? Why would anybody want to do that?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Let me tell you a little secret about pricing:
Most people ask for as much money as possible when they try to sell something.
If you can ask 500$ a week, you ask 500$ a week.
Of course a seller is interested to pass on a tax increase to the customer
( And his ability to do so depends on how much market power he has )
But passing on a tax decrease? Why would anybody want to do that?
reply to post by narwahl

Thanks Professor,
Now let me tell you a little something about sales.

If you were to sell a product which cost you, say, $400 for $500, making a profit of $100,
I could cut my price on an identical product by $25 to $475, sell twice as many as you, and make 50% more profit as well.

The guy down the street could then undercut me by $25, and you for $50, sell 4 times more than you, twice as many as me, and still make 25% more profit than I would, and 20% more profit than you.

Now, you tell me, why would any consumer purchase from you when they could get the identical item for much cheaper somewhere else?
edit on 16-1-2012 by Oaktree because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join