It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Cascadia movement - an antidote to American political madness?

page: 1
5

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I'm part of a movement that wants to see Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and some surrounding areas (the far north of California, Alaska Panhandle, western and northern Idaho and northwestern Montana; possibly the Yukon as well) to become an independent state called Cascadia.

Here's a link explaining it:

en.wikipedia.org...


The reason why is because this land forms a distinct bioregion, the region is distant both physically and psychologically from other parts of America and Canada, we share a lot of cultural tropes, like environmentalism and a love for coffee and flannel. Many things that are big elsewhere in North America aren't quite as big here, such as cheerleading and amusement parks. I don't think people here are quite as nationalistic either; there's not as much of a fierce American or Canadian identity in the Northwest, I think people think of themselves as being from the Northwest first and then from the US/Canada second. Not being patriotic isn't seen as a form of wickedness in the Northwest either, it's definitely not as flag-waving as places back east. I could be wrong though.

Since the American government, and also the Canadian government, since I'm sure if the US collapsed, Canada would too, are probably doomed to collapse and lose their power within the next few years/couple decades at most, shouldn't we prepare?

Us in the Cascadia movement aren't secessionists for the most part. We don't think it's necessary to secede from countries that have governments that are in the process of falling apart. We're really just trying to build a community here in the Northwest and forge a distinct culture/identity. We want a return to local economies, communities, and less dependence on globalization and fossil fuels.




posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot
 
Good luck with that.

I mean it too. No snark.



posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot
 

I support anti-centralistic ideas so I'm curious about this.
Bigger isn't better when it comes to political powerconcentration and range IMHO and the USA are pretty huge.
Is this really a "movement" and how popular is it?

ETA:
I read about the Western Standard research study in your link.
edit on 10-1-2012 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Well, it's not a very large movement, but it's growing, and it's large enough to be notable.

There are a couple beer companies, one called Fish Tale in Olympia, that puts 'Brewed in the Republic of Cascadia' on their beer. There's another company in Victoria, BC that does as well. And the 'Doug flag', which was designed by a friend of mine, is displayed by fans at Timbers and Sounders soccer games.
edit on 10-1-2012 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
When people online ask me where I'm from, I always say "Republic of Cascadia". It's great because the other person almost always just assumes it's a foreign country but doesn't want to ask about it because they don't want to sound ignorant (kind of like when somebody tells me they are from an obscure European nation.

I'll second your claim that most of us identify with our states (or province) up here before we identify with our respective nations. I've lived all over the Northwest and, as different as the people are from each other in different counties, we are all very similar when contrasted to the rest of the nation.

We got everything we need to be self-sufficient here. We also have Bigfoot and the Tree Octopus! I'm glad to see this thread and I'll always support more sovereignty for the Pacific Northwest.

Just wanted to add that a decentralist like Ron Paul might be taking a step in the right direction. I think he'd rather see a loose federation of nation-states than a tight federal government.



posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
When people online ask me where I'm from, I always say "Republic of Cascadia". It's great because the other person almost always just assumes it's a foreign country but doesn't want to ask about it because they don't want to sound ignorant (kind of like when somebody tells me they are from an obscure European nation.

I'll second your claim that most of us identify with our states (or province) up here before we identify with our respective nations. I've lived all over the Northwest and, as different as the people are from each other in different counties, we are all very similar when contrasted to the rest of the nation.

We got everything we need to be self-sufficient here. We also have Bigfoot and the Tree Octopus! I'm glad to see this thread and I'll always support more sovereignty for the Pacific Northwest.

Just wanted to add that a decentralist like Ron Paul might be taking a step in the right direction. I think he'd rather see a loose federation of nation-states than a tight federal government.


Idk about Ron Paul ... he is against the 9/11 truth movement, I think he's showing his true colors, or he's had too many threats against him already.

But I agree ... Free Cascadia!



posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot
 


Have lived ~10 years in Spokane.

I hope y'all succeed.

I'm skeptical.

There's some fierce conflicts within the region. The Eastern 2/3 of Washington State feels consistently raped by Seattle. And the values of the bulk of the people in the Eastern 2/3 of Washington State, Idaho, Montana and Alaska tend to be much more CONSERVATIVE politically and in terms of Christianity than Northern California and Coastal Oregon.

It might well be that with the collapse of the USA government and Canadian governments, something could arise of that nature.

However, there's a huge assumption that's likely NOT to be true for at least 3.5-7 years or more. The assumption is that nothing would step into the vacuum left by the collapse of those 2 Federal governments.

However, the satanic globalist government has been building under the table all along and will be springing overtly onto the world stage as soon as they can pull it off. The Biblical script says they WILL BE IN CONTROL of the planet--every nation, more or less, for 3.5-7 years.

They certainly would not tolerate Cascadian rebels messing with their plans.

On the other hand . . . given the chaos that will be raging generally, God only knows what might be possible if folks in that region paid the price and truly sought God's blessing in such an endeavor. Otherwise--no chance, imho.

And, I don't see Seattle and parts of coastal Oregon going along with the idea of the New Testament parameters of a relationship with God Almighty . . . Who they pretend doesn't exist.

So, I'm skeptical . . . as much as I'd love to see something replace the Federal horrors intensifying daily.



posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I have always looked to the Northwest, specifically Idaho Panhandle and Northwestern Montana, as a fantastic place to live. It still has a rugged environmental with people who are conservationists (not environmentalists like Eugene, OR), a belief in buy – and – sell local, a strong sense of communitarianism but still recognize the importance of individualism, opposition to globalization and free – trade, and offer a good opportunity for affordable land and employment. That is not even mentioning the demographics of the area which are perfect since my family is Hungarian / German and the weather is perfect; all four seasons but not too bad in any of them.

Coeur d’Alene, Lewiston, and Kalispell are all places I have been looking into. For it to break off into its own independent nation is probably impossible but I like the idea nonetheless of bringing together like minded individuals to a specific region which still offers hope on this darkening continent.



posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir


Coeur d’Alene, Lewiston, and Kalispell are all places I have been looking into. For it to break off into its own independent nation is probably impossible but I like the idea nonetheless of bringing together like minded individuals to a specific region which still offers hope on this darkening continent.


Just saying - nobody in 1985 would have thought 1992 would have no Soviet Union. But the signs were there. There may well be no America or Canada in 2019.
edit on 13-1-2012 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I also think if Cascadia happens, other parts of the continent will follow suit and form their own new countries. The southern states might form a nation called 'Dixie' for example.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
I have always looked to the Northwest, specifically Idaho Panhandle and Northwestern Montana, as a fantastic place to live. It still has a rugged environmental with people who are conservationists (not environmentalists like Eugene, OR), a belief in buy – and – sell local, a strong sense of communitarianism but still recognize the importance of individualism, opposition to globalization and free – trade, and offer a good opportunity for affordable land and employment. That is not even mentioning the demographics of the area which are perfect since my family is Hungarian / German and the weather is perfect; all four seasons but not too bad in any of them.

Coeur d’Alene, Lewiston, and Kalispell are all places I have been looking into. For it to break off into its own independent nation is probably impossible but I like the idea nonetheless of bringing together like minded individuals to a specific region which still offers hope on this darkening continent.


Well this picture would be helpful to an outsider:



But to be honest, Oregonians aren't nearly as polarized with each other as many other states are. Most of our inner-conflict comes from Ducks vs Beavers fans.



posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot
 


Something Cascadia might want to think about is the risk and expense from aging nuclear plants in the US and the cleanup costs involved....

www.abovetopsecret.com...



new topics

top topics



 
5

log in

join