It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy "geeks" building new social network for the 99%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
The global square, is what it's going to be called.

www.wired.com...

“I don’t want to say we’re making our own Facebook. But, we’re making our own Facebook,” said Ed Knutson, a web and mobile app developer who joined a team of activist-geeks redesigning social networking for the era of global protest. They hope the technology they are developing can go well beyond Occupy Wall Street to help establish more distributed social networks, better online business collaboration and perhaps even add to the long-dreamed-of semantic web — an internet made not of messy text, but one unified by underlying meta-data that computers can easily parse.

This could be a good move, of course it would take a while to get anywhere near as big as facebook, if it were ever to grow that size. (which is doubtful) But you never know, with people leaving facebook due to privacy issues and the advertising which hinders your every turn, this could be welcomed by many (me inclusive, a facebook-aphobe) And yes, they already do have some sort of social network on occupii and one or 2 others, but this could be different. If they did it right, of course. Would you join?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
yeah man its up now, well the beginnings
occupii.org

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Another feeble attempt by occupiers. This will not even get close to what facebook has done. Occupy wallstreet has failed and this is a way to revamp it. It will fail as well

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rexamus
Another feeble attempt by occupiers. This will not even get close to what facebook has done. Occupy wallstreet has failed and this is a way to revamp it. It will fail as well
1500 locations in over 80 countries, is a little bit less than fail. This is the first wave, there will be more. To say that it has failed, is to show a massive missunderstanding as to what is going on. You are, of course, welcome to your own interpretation of the events unfolding, but to say that it has failed, when it has barely even begun, is pretty silly. IMO.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
YEAH!

Anarchy Lives!!!!

I'm sure they'll be all renegade.....until that first bill comes from the datacenter that's hosting it..

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Sitting in parks across the US in multiple locations is not succeeding. Has Occupy wallstreet changed anything economically? No. That would be the definition of failure. Not reaching one's goals. This social media site may help occupiers communicate with eachother but it will not be near as successful from a business and popularity standpoint as facebook.
edit on 10-1-2012 by Rexamus because: sp

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I've not said it would be, infact I stated just what you said, it'd take an age to get that far, if it ever did. (which I doubt it would) And as I say, this is the first phase of the occupy movement. You can't judge it until it's in full swing, and it's far from that at the moment I'd agree. And for a first wave of protests, it's had a great start. You're not going to change the world by sitting around in parks, i agree, but this is a good way to start to make some points. Voting is fruitless, as all those you have to vote for, are different faces of the same coin.So how else would YOU propose that the changes suggested by the occupy movement be implimented? Change will never come from above, we have to do something. And like it or not, this IS something.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I can respect that

Personally I don't think the changes occupy wants to promote are necessarily right. I think it's sort of on the right track, but focuses too much on the 99% crap. The 99% can be just as greedy and corrupt as the 1%. I want to be the 1% one of the days and NOT be that. I like to believe I have pure intentions and good morals and genuinely want to help the world and I know alot of others like me. So it's not really fair to target the 1% as a whole. Yes some wrong decisions have been made and we're not exactly on the right track right now. But thousands of hippies playing drums in a park and not earning a dime to put towards the local economy IS NOT HOW TO DO IT
edit on 10-1-2012 by Rexamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Guess they didn't see where at least 51% of Americans think the OWS bunch are public nuisance. These guys are seriously out of touch. Seriously dudes .. it's over .. go back to your parents basements. OWS = started out good, ending up a joke.

top topics

join