It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is German Supervolcano waking up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
A sleeping super-volcano in Germany is showing worrying signs of waking up.

It's lurking just 390 miles away underneath the tranquil Laacher See lake near Bonn and is capable of ejecting billions of tons of magma.

This monster erupts every 10 to 12,000 years and last went off 12,900 years ago, so it could blow at any time.

carbon dioxide is bubbling up to the lake’s surface.

Some people think that it is a hoax but I live pretty close so tell me..

What do you think?

German Supervolcano

edit on 10-1-2012 by borutp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by borutp

Im confused. . .How is this volcano a supervolcano? It's nowhere near the size of yellowstone.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

The caldera of Laacher See was formed after the Laacher volcano erupted, between 12,900 and 11,200 years ago. The remaining crust collapsed into the empty magma chamber below, only two or three days after the eruption. With an estimated Volcanic Explosivity Index value of 6, this eruption was 250 times larger than the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980.

I guess it is quite big

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by borutp

Someone already started a thread on this a few days ago
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 10-1-2012 by imnothereru because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by borutp

i'm pretty sure that if this volcano was going to go off geologists would know about it and there would be a warning and an evacuation. I don't think this is something that you need to panick over but if your in the area i would keep an eye on it just in case.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
This was posted a few days ago already and dismissed. It's perfectly normal that carbon dioxide bubbles are seen on the lake. Also the 'ever 10 to 12.000' years isn't really true (it errupted about 11.000-11.100 years ago, not 12.600 as reported in the english speaking media) and no respectable german news site has reported about that.
As far as i know, the volcanoe is active, it could errupt in the future, but nobody knows when and if. The last serious warning by german experts was done in 2007 (german website) and they were mainly discussing the use of Ants as some sort of early warning device.

Maybe the foreign medias misunderstood a TV movie that was recently shown here on a german TV Station (RTL) about this volcano and it having a big erruption?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by imnothereru

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
reply to post by borutp

Im confused. . .How is this volcano a supervolcano? It's nowhere near the size of yellowstone.

the term Super volcano is NOT defined on the size of the volcano but it is defined on how large the eruption it self is and how much ash and etc is blown out of it ...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
This was posted a few days ago already and dismissed. It's perfectly normal that carbon dioxide bubbles are seen on the lake. Also the 'ever 10 to 12.000' years isn't really true (it errupted about 11.000-11.100 years ago, not 12.600 as reported in the english speaking media) and no respectable german news site has reported about that.
As far as i know, the volcanoe is active, it could errupt in the future, but nobody knows when and if. The last serious warning by german experts was done in 2007 (german website) and they were mainly discussing the use of Ants as some sort of early warning device.

Maybe the foreign medias misunderstood a TV movie that was recently shown here on a german TV Station (RTL) about this volcano and it having a big erruption?

So u,and others are saying that 11000 years ago this volcano erupted....?? U know that for a fact? or someone who lives today was time traveling and knows that? i am sure there is no writen document,or carved stone in some cave about this,so how can u be so sure it was 11000 years ago?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by John0Doe

No, not time travelling but i rather believe our german experts, who work for years or even decades at the site, analyzing the lake and the volcano and propabably know a lot more about it, than some reporter.
If that 'news' article was on Wikipedia, there would be a [citation needed] after every sentence. No sources, no names, just "Experts believe" (who?), "it is thought" (says who?) and it's not a "Supervolcano".
It's a poorly written fear-mongering OMG! DOOMSDAY! article, produced by some imbecile who probably wouldn't even find the place on a Map. So why should or would anyone believe this crap?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by borutp

The caldera of Laacher See was formed after the Laacher volcano erupted, between 12,900 and 11,200 years ago. The remaining crust collapsed into the empty magma chamber below, only two or three days after the eruption. With an estimated Volcanic Explosivity Index value of 6, this eruption was 250 times larger than the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980.

I guess it is quite big

Sorry but this

With an estimated Volcanic Explosivity Index value of 6, this eruption was 250 times larger than the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980

wrong.

Mount St. Helens in 1980 was a VEI 5 and if I remember well ejected 1km3
Laacher See eruption was a VEI 6, yes but ejected 16km3 of Tephra

This is not 250 times bigger (fearmongering again?)

And eruption 250 times bigger than Mount St.Helens in 1980 would be a VEI 7 (nore than 100km3 ejected Tephra) and not a VEI 6.

Just to say, nothing personal borutp

And no, there's nothing going on there. I'll warn you if it ever shows any signs of going kaboom during my lifetime. I promise.

Nidwin lives in Luxemburg!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Why is it that everything has gone off around 12,000 years ago? I keep reading this date over and over. Meh...maybe it's just me, but anyone else see this?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by FermiFlux
Why is it that everything has gone off around 12,000 years ago? I keep reading this date over and over. Meh...maybe it's just me, but anyone else see this?

First it's approx 12 000 and you can easily take a span of 1000 years so may be 11 000 or may be 12 900. These are often the two datings for the Laacher See eruption.

And in a span of 1000 years you have a lot of eruptions on our planet. Just look at all the eruptions that happened and that we know about the last 200 to 300 years.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
reply to post by borutp

The below link is taken from Hungary’s RSOE EDIS (National Association of Radio Distress-Signalling and Infocommunications – Emergency and Disaster Information Services). It has the Laacher See listed in the table 'Supervolcanoes Monitoring System.'

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Here is the details of Laacher See with seismic activity updates.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

By the way, in the wake of the U.K.’s Daily Mail 02 January 2012 article ‘Is a Super-Volcano just 390 Miles from London about to Erupt?’ by Ted Thornhill, there have been different blogs disclaiming that the Laacher See is ready to erupt and even claiming that the article is ‘fear-mongering.’ One such blog by Erik Klemetti, geosciences professor at Denison University, Granville, Ohio, USA, points out that the Laacher See lake has been degassing carbon dioxide for centuries. Below is a link to Tammy Lee Morris’s article ‘Germany’s Laacher See Volcano is not about to Devastate Europe’ on the Yahoo blog site.

news.yahoo.com...

edit on 2012/3/4 by leowh because: (no reason given)

edit on 2012/3/4 by leowh because: (no reason given)

top topics

join