It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ipad survives fall from edge of space- 100,000feet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This is a really cool little video. These guys send a balloon up 100,000 feet with an HD camera hooked on to it. The Ipad survives the fall!! Now I guarantee, if I were to drop mine three feet it would break, that I promise you

www.space.com...

"Perhaps even more remarkable than the dramatic hi-def footage itself is the fact that the iPad survives the adventure, remaining fully functional," G-Form officials said. The company will be showcasing its electronics

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

I guess their iPod has special aerodynamic laser etching to increase wind resistance.

edit on 9/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'm surprised it only landed 70 yards away from the initial launch site.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

The Ipad mount (The metal Rod) was designed in a way with what appeared to be weights on the ends, and obviously to hit the ground first, absorbin most of the impact, and dramatically reducing the pressure on the Ipad.

Still a cool vid.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Why can't they build airplanes or cars with that material??? wouldn't that cut down on fatal accidents???
I know, I know call me crazy!

Someday?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Now that was cool video. Too bad it didn't go any higher.

Think it would look a lot better at night though.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I tend to doubt that a typical weather balloon will raise to 100,000 feet. Of course, that tends to have me doubt that the image of the curve of the earth and the blackness of space is a genuine shot.

I further doubt that the thing can raise to that height and fall back within 70 yards of its point of origin. What happen to the jet streams? Was there totally no upper air movement that day?

How long would it take to raise by balloon to 100,000 feet and then flutter back like a falling leaf?

Finally, since the airborne picture--what not vid?--seems to show the balloon harness fastened to the device and we are told that the contraption fell when the balloon burst, evidently there was no release mechanism was used to seperate the one from the other. We can easily understand that the wind resistance of the falling deflated balloon and the flatness of the Ipad would have created a great deal of wind resistance to counter the typical effects of gravity upon a falling smooth and compact body. Envision a falling leaf-like effect that would carry the outfit virtually straight down. --It wouldn't happen.

In essence, I doubt that this advertising advent happened as we were told, after all, how many ads do you see and hear are actually factual and not contrieved in part or in whole?

(My apologies to Apple fans the world over.)

edit on 10-1-2012 by Aliensun because: addition/correction

edit on 10-1-2012 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This looks to me like when it fell it spun out of control then seemed to steady itself like a parachute was used. Also, if it had landed on its screen, it would have shattered and how did it survive the extreme cold and pressures involved ? I think it was a complete hoax as you never saw it coming down only when it landed.

iPad
edit on 21-1-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join