It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado Hits Texas, in Jan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Was browsing the RSEO Alert Map because I was bored and spotted this incident. Thought Id share, even though weird weather is almost not even news anymore.

Texas City Tornado

Just cause Im curious, is it abnormal for Tornados to strike in the winter in the area?
Im from Canada so I dont know much about this type of thing.

Either way, weird, hopefully this isnt a sign of what the coming year has in store.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
No, not HIGHLY unusual. We've had many warm or mixed Winter January's before.

They are most common in Texas in April though.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Thats what I was wondering, thanks for weighing in.

I know people like to blow things out of proportion, maybe the weathers not normal, but its not apocalyptic.

Ill save the fear mongering for later

edit on 9/1/2012 by osirys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by osirys

At least it was just Mall of the mainland, its pretty crappy mall, as is Texas City equally crappy.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Texas is completely bipolar and unpredictable in its weather. It's the only place I've been where you get all four seasons in the same week.

Tornadoes are rare for January, but it is easily explainable with the cold air current passing through Europe and the US and the fact that it is a very large state. The sudden mixture of cool and warm air produces the conditions necessary for bringing them about.

To say it is apocalyptic is a stretch, but I'm still willing to bet we're in for a hell of a ride in 2012.
edit on 1/9/2012 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Areas along the Gulf Coast will often get tornadoes in the winter, and they can be expected in any state that has a gulf shoreline. Typically it doesn't get the mixture of cold and warm moist air needed for the rotation to develop, but once in a while, a cold front will push south and cause havoc.

For the majority of Texas, it is unusual, but not for an area close to the Gulf.

With that in mind, a cold front that brought snow to unusually low latitudes in west Texas today is pushing eastward, so there may be more scary storms in the offing, all the way to Georgia and Florida, so head's up.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
there were two other tornadoes. one passed near a friend of mines house.

it's definitely very unusual. i've lived in texas most of my life and i don't recall hearing of any in january. not that they have never happened.... it's just very out of the ordinary.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Us here in the Gulf Coast states can get tornadoes on any day of the year and it is not unusual. Texas City is in Galveston County which is right on the coast so, as I had said, this is completely normal. Back in 2008 here on the east coast of Florida we had a “Midwestern style super cell” for Christmas then tornadoes again on January 1, 2009. To people north of ‘Dixie’ this seems incredibly bizarre but to us in the region it is not a strange occurrence. From Corpus Christi north to Shreveport and east to Jacksonville can get tornadoes any time of the year without it being abnormal.

edit on 1/10/2012 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

top topics

join