It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darwin boy's find could rewrite history

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Darwin boy's find could rewrite history

news.ninemsn.com.au

A Darwin boy may help re-write Australia's history after unearthing what he believes is a 500-year-old Portuguese swivel gun on a Northern Territory beach.

The boy, now aged 13, saw the item poking out of mud, dug it out with his father and took it back to his home.

"As soon as we got it back into Darwin my dad got an angle grinder and nicked a little bit of it. We saw it was bronze, so we knew it was old," Christopher told AAP

Portugal occupied Timor from 1515 until 1975, although it is hotly debated whether Portuguese explorers made it to Australia, about 700km away.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9-1-2012 by Jace26 because: spelling

Mod Edit: Comprehensive 'Breaking Alternative News' Forum Posting Guidelines – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1/9/2012 by Mirthful Me because: Title.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I find this to be very interesting. If anyone wants to look at further evidence of the discovery of Australia pre-1606, look up the Diepe maps, Geelong keys, Mahogany ship,Gympie pyriamads, etc. This is not the first kind of artifact that has been found in Australia that contradicts the history books, in fact there have been many artifacts found that date back thousands of years such as Roman coins and Chinese coins.
S@F and share what you think?

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I really hate articles like this when they contain no pictures of the object. I want to see it!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
When I found this sort of Information in High School History an interesting theory was put forward by my teacher at the time in which he claimed early travellers and traders would come to Australia to take resources, trade with other traders from around the world. Australia at the time being a "hub" for secretive world travellers. Theres evidence of Wooden, various alloyed objects from Australia being dated to before the British Colonized, found in countries like Britain, Germany, France, China, Japan and a few more. (will find a link to source)

Plus during the gold boom in Australia a miner found old Incan carvings in a cave that was being excavated for gold purposes. Of course they destroyed it assuming the "ancients" had marked a resource rich area. I find this topic fascinating because I hated the way that Australian History was taught in the Australian education system, and I often found myself questioning EVERYTHING that we were taught.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Yeah I know, but I suppose you could just go the images and type in 500 year old Portuguese swivel gun and see what comes up?
Anyway, I really hope this thing is proven to be a genuine and that gets put in a museum instead of being sold.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by t0xicshifts
When I found this sort of Information in High School History an interesting theory was put forward by my teacher at the time in which he claimed early travellers and traders would come to Australia to take resources, trade with other traders from around the world. Australia at the time being a "hub" for secretive world travellers. Theres evidence of Wooden, various alloyed objects from Australia being dated to before the British Colonized, found in countries like Britain, Germany, France, China, Japan and a few more. (will find a link to source)

Plus during the gold boom in Australia a miner found old Incan carvings in a cave that was being excavated for gold purposes. Of course they destroyed it assuming the "ancients" had marked a resource rich area. I find this topic fascinating because I hated the way that Australian History was taught in the Australian education system, and I often found myself questioning EVERYTHING that we were taught.

I know that there are ancient mine sites around WA near Perth, historians have said that the Aboriginals were mining for Bronze etc. but why would they need something like that?
There are so many holes in 'traditional history' its just not funny.
I remember reading another historian had found Aboriginal tribes in the north-west of the country were speaking over 300+ words of Portuguese origin.
There have been ancient coins from the Romans found in Victoria, and stone ruins and stone pyriamids in Queensland and New South Wales.
Sorry I can't link this info cause I can't remember where I found them.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Here you go.

Christopher Doukas, 13, with what is believed to be a 500-year-old Portuguese swivel gun buried in the sand on Dundee Beach.
Pictures: MICHAEL FRANCHI

That would be a nice find to make as a 13 year old

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26

I know that there are ancient mine sites around WA near Perth, historians have said that the Aboriginals were mining for Bronze etc. but why would they need something like that?

As a point of interest, bronze is generally an alloy of copper and tin and is not mined as such. There is also something called arsenical bronze which is mainly copper with arsenic in it. Copper ore is often contaminated with arsenic but usually not enough to make the alloy. Arsenic is an oxygen getter under conditions of casting copper and would make for a better metal.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

Sorry, I know you can't just mine 'bronze' out of the ground. But I remember reading that ancient mines were near Perth where its believed Aboriginals were mining for various minerals, so who taught them to do this and why were they doing this?
Also, here is a nice site that details some extra info.
www.crystalinks.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Tough - unless they documented being there they still will never be the 1st known European discoverers of Aus.

The gun being 500 years old just puts a limt on when it was made - it could have been left here any time after that, and unless you get some "context" - ie stuff that is found around it such as wreckage, pottery, etc., no-one will ever know anything about how it got there.

And in the end it doesn't mater anyway.

Historically interesting - but breaking alternative news?? Don't think so!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26

There are no bronze mines because bronze is not found in nature.

Bronze is a mix of copper and tin and they are not found together in nature.

edit on 10-1-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Historically interesting - but breaking alternative news?? Don't think so!

Oh yeah, that's right I remember, everything that doesn't involve America isn't newsworthy enough to make the BAN forum.

It deserves to be where it is because it is of great interest to many people, in particular Aussies, and it is recent news.

Now on-topic - I too listened to my teacher in history lessons with a great deal of scepticism. Many things just didn't seem to add up and I came to the conclusion, way back in primary school, that Australia has a much longer and more complex history than we are taught in Aussie schools.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I believe Aloysius is Aussie

But I think this is worthwhile news, even if it turns out to be more modern than it could be.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Born in New Zealand - a lot closer to there than the USA.

And it is certainly interesting news - I think I said as much.

But alternative? Seems pretty mainstream to me - a fortuitous archaeological find is all.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Havin a bad here lol. Apologies.

I do stand my opinion, though, that it deserves to be in BAN. It fits the bill conspiracy-wise - ie: has our Aussie govt covered up evidence of an alternative version of Australia's history? Why do our schools so vehemently ram their version of our history down our throats and not look at the wider picture and alternative evidence?

Just a few reasons

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Vehemently ramming history down throats???? wow - they must teach history different in Aus!!

AFAIK they teach what is known about history - and why wouldn't they?

There's no reason for such a conspiracy - and BTW there are similar theories about NZ in a book called "Pre Tasman explorers of New Zealand" which I have - it goes right back to Carthaginians being there - presumably by way of Aus one would imagine!

But there's no proof - like this gun there's a couple of artefacts of uncertain provenance, and there's some um..."creative" thinking!

Could this find "rewrite history" - sure - if the evidence supports such a rewrite. That's one of the great things about the sciences - and even history - when you have actual evidence you get to improve what we know!

Trying to make everything into a conspiracy gets you odd looks for good reason IMO!
edit on 10-1-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Speaking of ancient Australian mines I just want to throw in that I had read about an ancient gold mine dating back thousands of years linked to an ancient port that is located near rockhampton Queensland.
Sorry no link just something I remember reading it could be bogus.
The story goes that when the port was uncovered a highly regarded university sent a lecturer there to disprove it as it does not fit with the commonly taught theories. And now all is covered up not to be spoken of again.
I have also read about Egyptian hyroglyphs that have been fond in caves on the east coast that are also not spoken of.
I believe a google search could provide more info on these subjects, again sorry for no links.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by UsualSuspect

Thx for posting, I didn't know about the port one but yes, there are many Egyptian and Phoenecian artifacts all over Australia. In my opinion the government covers up any existance of non-aboriginal peoples here as it is not PC and would destabilise the system that has been set up around their existence.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I do not try to make everything into a conspiracy mate, and it seems I am not the only one who got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning
I'm putting a post-it note next to the right side of my bed to remind me

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
or it could be an old fart had that gun as an antique he brought over from england, got sick of it taking up room in his cabin and lobbed it on the beach.

or more likely his widow, paid a copper penny for some neighbourhood kids to haul it off.

edit on 10-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join