It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With Work Scarce in Athens, Greeks Go Back to the Land

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
NY Times article

As Greece’s blighted economy plunges further into the abyss, the couple are joining with an exodus of Greeks who are fleeing to the countryside and looking to the nation’s rich rural past as a guide to the future.

“When I call my friends and relatives in Athens, they tell me there’s no hope, everything is going from bad to worse,” Ms. Tricha said on a recent afternoon, as she walked through her greenhouse, where thousands of snails lumbered along on rows of damp wooden boards. “So I think our choice was good.”

I agree with what they're doing. It's important to go back to your roots when all else fails. Looks like the Greeks have the beginnings of the right idea to me. As for things being bad and getting worse, I don't doubt it a bit. Things are bad and getting worse everywhere, let alone in a country that's being strangled to death by austerity.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
So Greece is now reverting to a Third World Status(Many Third World Nations are agricultural)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Yeah, that's actually a really good point. It's bad when things are getting to that point. Personally, I'm considering doing it myself.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Every single person on this planet should be doing their own garden/agriculture, whether in a NY apartment or Frosty Swedish cottage.

I have my own veggie garden AND my personal psychedelic patch.
edit on 9-1-2012 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

While it's great to this I don't think the Average American would really do this since some would rather slack off

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

They are no longer trusting in the lies of mortal men and they are going back to the roots they know where they can survive and thrive.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I've heard a lot of Greeks are now coming to Australia since Melbourne is the 2nd largest city of Greek heritage I believe. Plus since the weather is somewhat the same as much of Australia is similar to Mediteranean climates.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Take a look at this, it's really a sad situation over there.
Parents are giving up their children because they can no longer afford them
www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 9-1-2012 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Here in Sicily I'm noticing the same thing and I can assure you it's WONDERFUL to see.

There are so many family homes here on large tracks of land that have lain fallow and abandoned far too long.

Now, slowly but surely I'm seeing what the economic change is doing here and I love it!

Useless orange groves cut down and replaced by olives. Long stretches of brambles being burned out and turned under to plant vegetables. More people showing and interest in animal husbandry than ever. It's a beautiful thing to see - and honestly - a lot healthier for the people and in my opinion it makes for a lot better life style which will benefit everyone, and the country all the way around.

peace

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It has good and bad elements to it, whats really concerning me is these people want to return to the land basicly, do they know how?. There is more to it then just putting a seed in the ground and getting your pizza plant(Wall-E), im wondering if we arent hearing the first whispers of the next great european problem, Famine.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
You noble diggers all stand up now, stand up now,
you noble diggers all stand up now!

(that's from a song written by people who lived off the land in the 1600s, who fell pray to the gentry and their laws. )

I long for a time when we can go back to feeding ourselves, for free, from the land, as is intended. Bring it on, send some of it to the UK please kthanxbai!!
edit on 10/1/2012 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Urban centers pollute the mind and soul of individuals. It is not a place for everyone to live in, just those who are made for it; same as living in bitterly cold cities, isolated villages, etc... For most people, I truly believe, returning to the country to work the land, walk with the animals, and learn to really know your family and neighbors will make a place so much better culturally/spiritually/aesthetically even if not financially.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
That would usually mean good news as they would be returning to growing and eating real food...

The only problem is that Mansanto must be super happy and will surely find a way to make sure their seeds make it to the fields...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

your own food wont save you... just make you a target.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DannyboyUK

Why would I be a target?

First I'd feed people.

Then I'd sit them down and teach them the spiritual side of life and help them understand the reasons this has happened to us.

Then I'd teach them how to grow their own, even in very small confines like a unit/apartment.

I'd organise my whole suburb into growing vegetables, but I'd also teach them about the local weeds that can actually be eaten, along with the abundance of plants that can be eaten in raw form.

No-one in my suburb would starve. If worst came to worst at the very most people would have to learn to stomach insects, literally.

Finally, although I have a loving partner and 3.5 beautiful boys if we lose our lives because someone wanted to act out in anger then I'd accept that too.

I refuse to believe that my fellow Aussies would go down the route of chaos. It may be the case but I will refuse to believe it.

new topics

top topics

join