It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think this belongs here: Any ATS members who model Sci-Fi?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I was searching on ATS to think if there should be a dedicated Forum for those enthusiasts. We who may wish to build models......whether they are Trains, or Science Fiction models, or any modern (or past) airplane models......or any variation in-between.......perhaps a Staff member will see this and think on it.

Meanwhile......

I've been (besides a regular career) been a modeler all my life. I am drawn to many genres of modeling, as suggested in the opening paragraph.

But, what I strive for is "accuracy", to the best of ability. Not an easy target. THIS is where some compilation, and "bringing together" of knowledge, experience......in other words, "Trials and Tribulations" can help others.......to avoid pitfalls, or to help educate in their hobby endeavors.

I know that there are many venues on the "Web" to use for this purpose, but just wondered how much interest the larger ATS community might have in this hobby?

ALL suggestions and contributions are welcome.....especially if this is even an interest, at all (??)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Different type of modeling altogether, but I photograph human people models and will sometimes, for fantasy shots, kit them out in Sci-Fi fashion, sometimes silly and playful, and other times serious.
Avatar is an example of the silly playful stuff.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

THAT is in interesting take on the concept.....not what I had in mind, but perhaps a few examples would interest everyone??

JUST to clarify...I was referring to what you can do with media that are real, and tactile.....as opposed to purely "Digital" modeling.....another area of "intrigue" .....but not in this realm......nes't pas??

edit on Mon 9 January 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I bring this thread because.......In have, currently (amongst many kits to build) these):

Star Trek USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A 1:350 Scale Model Kit

And don't even THINK about "buying them all up"....LOL......"cuz I got a few of them.... LOL....

Oh, and this is only the tip of tne iceberg, just so ya know....

...SO, let's talk with those of you who have experience with this or other similar kits.

I can, for instance, converse well about the AMT company that issued Star Trek kits. Pretty well versed, there.....as well.......
edit on Mon 9 January 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I have been into modeling for over a decade now but nothing as detailed as some of the models you do. I like to play Warhammer40k and one fun part of putting an army togethar is building and painting it yourself.

I built a large Choas Space Marines army. I had alot of fun doing it and still play from time to time.

Some of the models out there do get pretty detailed and here's a example from Forge World.

The vehicles are always the funnest to build and detail because the soldiers are pretty damn small. Sadly for me 12 years of football in my younger days has wrecked my hands from being broken soo many times and arthritis is already setting in at the young age of 30.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I'm totally into modeling..building a studio scale Enterprise from the first film...8 feet 3 inches. It's massive. 3d modeling and repid prototyping make the job much easier.
edit on 27-2-2012 by Darkstar12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Longtime modeler here.

I enjoy building them and doing hours of research to make sure they're accurate. Sci-fi, real space, ocean liners, and jet aircraft are my favorites.

I look for some more pictures of my work

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by NuminousCosmos

Nice job!!!

(I have built a LOT...and I mean, a LOT of the AMT U.S.S. Enterprise. "Constellation Class" StarShips...(Yeah, know Star Trek....big fan). Those old AMT kits, if you have them SEALED, and "NIB"? They are worth a lot, a lot of money!!

Right now I have both the Polar Lights NCC1701-A and NX-01.....sorry to say, the NX-01 is HARD to find, and mine is opened already.....Polar Lights is coming out with the Constellation Class also in 1/350 scale (did I mention my others are in that scale? There are also a bunch of PL Star Trek ship kits in 1/1000 scale....just to be clear).

The 1/350 NCC-1701-A and NX-01 are still possible to get, online (I will buy them up so watch out!!)

There are lighting kits available for them too, as after-market additions....(I've been doing the research!!).

Here....new camera.....this is NOT a model I built (working on a 1/32 F-15, will post pics later....)....this is just a model I bought, of the "lawn-dart" I used to fly, before getting hired at Continental: (This is the Swearingen Metroliner, the SA-226):

Had it for many years.....bought it for my folks.

Never been one to pose for pictures....but, here....all I have at Continental, these date back to 1986: (pictures of pictures, sorry for the quality):

Right seat, 1986....Boeing 727:

Outside, on the ramp...(friend took the pic, obviously....same day, ful uniform):

That's all I have.....I shunned pictures, usually....only have those because I was YOUNG and stupid, in 1986!! (LOL!!)....And, living in Denver, then.....just decided to have my friend take a few pics, because my Mom wanted them......otherwise, I laid pretty low......

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkstar12

JUST saw your post!!!!

I'm totally into modeling..building a studio scale Enterprise from the first film...8 feet 3 inches. It's massive. 3d modeling and repid prototyping make the job much easier.

As I recall, that was the size of the shooting model, for the "Film".....Man, I'd copy that!! If you draw plans, please U2U me.....I'd very much like to see them.....any details, as well.....

The "original" studio model, for the TV series shoot....there were two of them...one was about 11 feet long, the other between 3 and 4 feet (details vary....I try to nail them down).

The TV series model is (at least, was) in the Smithsonian, in D.C......hang on:

Original Starship Enterprise Model from the Star Trek TV Show

If ANYONE ever went to Las Vegas, back before they tore it down.....there was the "Star Trek Adventure" at the Las Vegas Hilton....was very, very cool! Had a full U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-D bridge set....and some corridors, and a "turbo-lift".....eye-candy for geeks like me!!

It "might" re-open:

Star Trek: The Experience

(Fingers crossed).....LOL!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Right on man!

I was reading starshipmodeler.com---my favorite place for space/sci-fi model info, where I read about the 1/350 TOS Enterprise. My wife says I'll have to build an addition to the house in order to fit it.

I have some of the 1970s "Starship Schematics" books in my house. Great for scratch building info if you want any scans of the outlines and blueprints.

My current project is the 1/32 Apollo CSM with the see through body from Revell. I am trying to super detail the interior. I try to take some pictures this week, if you're interested in seeing what I am up to.

Fly the Friendly Skies

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

These are pics of my Apollo capsule under construction. There are still some gaps to fill and paint to be applied.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'll post photos of this monster soon. Waiting on the main saucer section to be completed. All that is complete right now are the engines. I did a lot of model and paint work for license holders (Boba Fett helmet, X-wing and a few others) more to come.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NuminousCosmos

Nice work....been meaning to get me one of them Revell 1/32-scale Apollo kits. (On the list).

The TOS 1/350 Enterprise, yeah that's on the list too....Polar Lights/AMT (And also MPC) are connected business-wise, now....parent company seems to be Round 2 Models

(Join the "1701 Club", and get a free T-Shirt!)

AMT, as you might know, was the original licensee for Star Trek plastic kits, way back in the 1960s.

**Update: The TOS 1/350 price is posted now....$150. Checking my 'Wait List' status.....**

I'm diddling with a Polar Lights 1/1000 Klingon D7 (came free as a bonus, with the PL 1/350 Enterprise NX-01, from a seller I found online).

Here are two in-progress shots.....this is (all the 1/1000 kits) as a "Snap-Together", but of course I'm gluing and filling seams.....rather poor fit, and needed work for the forward hull boom, where it attaches to the Main Hull.

(Had camera in Macro, but depth-of-field was still off a bit):

Metal binder clips to temporarily hold top of Main Hull....there are still some gaps to fill, then a light coat of primer to see spots missed, Etc, Etc. Kit uses that gaudy "chrome plating" for some parts...will tone it down in final finishing.

Also, there are after-market "Aztec" masking patterns available, gotta get those:

Federation Models

I tend to get particular about these sort of details.....for that "studio accuracy" when possible.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I have always liked the TOS Bird-of-Prey...it looks very utilitarian, designed for war, not exploration or entertaining Orion slave girls.

These are shots of my Millennium Falcon:

I love weathering things...my pastel box gets a lot of workout:

This is not sci-fi, but I like the way this one is turning out, the USS Arizona:

Another couple of weeks and it should be ready for it's close up:

I have several other models siting in storage back in California...mostly sci-fi including a great NX-01-one of my favorite ships names Enterprise.

top topics

join