It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2009 Startrek cast first choice?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Hey im just wondering if anyone can help me figure out who were the first choices or runners up to play the characters out of 2009's startrek? its really bugging me i read a while ago that matt damon was supposedly playing kirk but pulled out of it? im not sure if its true but im glad he wasnt part of it.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
gotta say,....in my honest opinion.....really don't care who were the first choices, because who they choose worked perfect......Watching that one, I really felt like I was watching a younger version of the favorite characters....

Edit-OH but I don't mean that I don't love the 'who was supposed to do it' stories.....I love the back stories to movies.....like jaws, all the movie experts saying, 'it was a wonderful thriller because you never saw the shark till the end'....even though that was only because it was an accident that the shark didn't work right.....you know, those stories make movies fun.
edit on 9-1-2012 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

I agree, completely. They played their parts so well that I really felt they WERE the younger versions of the Starship Enterprise crew.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I agrea with you both im just curious who would be playing who if they didnt get the parts they did

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Question Answered!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by NANAinINDIANA

I agree, completely. They played their parts so well that I really felt they WERE the younger versions of the Starship Enterprise crew.

And that is such a hard line to follow....You do the those prequel movies with different actors, most of the fans just sigh and say, well they tried.....and they really don't give us that 'joy'.....But this is one of the few exceptions were I actually left the movie saying, 'OMG, they found a way to revive the series and give us an entirely NEW story line, only in star trek....'.....But all of them were great, I especially loved Spock and Bones.....but they all did their role perfect to the tradition that I could see leonard in sylar(I know I know, but to me he will always be sylar)....I could see george in Harold.....Even my wife, who detests sci-fi, just loved that one, and she really hates the old star treks.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LvSLoLo
I agrea with you both im just curious who would be playing who if they didnt get the parts they did

I'll do some searching, see if i can't help with the digging up....you have me curious.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

I know that Joshua Jackson of Fringe was an early candidate for Kirk.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
See once its in your mind it bugs the crap out of you lol

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jahn369
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Damn im glad he didnt get the part id never of watched the movie

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

reply to post by LvSLoLo

Damn im glad he didnt get the part id never of watched the movie

Agreed, now, I like him in the role he is in with fringe....but Kirk, he ain't, that takes a special kinda narcissistic butt

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Had NOT heard this:

read a while ago that matt damon was supposedly playing kirk but pulled out of it?

Chris Pine was superb in the role....but, can you find more on that Matt Damon rumor??? I can almost see it.....a bit.....but, in longer term, Matt Damon, at the moment, is almost "too" big a "star" to carry this role, as envisioned.....for the so-called "re-boot" of "Star Trek".

In any case, pre-production is underway as we speak, for the next one, again to be
directed by J. J. Abrams......

Just a taste, if you search the Web:

Star Trek 12

Or, the so-called "Star Trek" """sequel"""".....ermmm.....um.....

JJ Abrams Gives Star Trek Sequel Production/3D Update + Talks Cumberbatch Casting (January 8, 2012)

This 'franchise' lives......forever, we can only hope!!

Live Long, and Prosper!

NOW! I must say.....I had MANY a bone to pick, with the 2009 version......but, I can lay it down and "go with the flow" for now.....purists 'UNITE!!'

LOL....

edit on Mon 9 January 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Found this.....It is so worth the read, because the author sums it up perfect.

unrealitymag.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Adrien Brody was considered for Spock.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Had NOT heard this:

read a while ago that matt damon was supposedly playing kirk but pulled out of it?

Chris Pine was superb in the role....but, can you find more on that Matt Damon rumor??? I can almost see it.....a bit.....but, in longer term, Matt Damon, at the moment, is almost "too" big a "star" to carry this role, as envisioned.....for the so-called "re-boot" of "Star Trek".

In any case, pre-production is underway as we speak, for the next one, again to be
directed by J. J. Abrams......

Just a taste, if you search the Web:

Star Trek 12

Or, the so-called "Star Trek" """sequel"""".....ermmm.....um.....

JJ Abrams Gives Star Trek Sequel Production/3D Update + Talks Cumberbatch Casting (January 8, 2012)

This 'franchise' lives......forever, we can only hope!!

Live Long, and Prosper!

NOW! I must say.....I had MANY a bone to pick, with the 2009 version......but, I can lay it down and "go with the flow" for now.....purists 'UNITE!!'

LOL....

edit on Mon 9 January 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)
I found 2 links about damon but it says diffirent from what i read when they were casting for the film, they said they turned him down becouse he was too old but this says HE turned it down...somehow if its even possible to turn down star trek.

www.trektoday.com...
www.gossipsauce.com...

Cant wait to see cumberbatch in action i cant imagine him playing a villian he just looks like a vulkan to me
edit on 9-1-2012 by LvSLoLo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
In a UK interview with Edith Bowman on BBC Radio 1, Matt Damon mentioned that he called J.J. Abrams when he heard rumors that he was being considered for the role of Captain Kirk. The response from Abrams was a very polite "no". He explained that Damon was "too old" for the role.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

reply to post by LvSLoLo

Are you serious? star trek would be dead to me if this guy was anyware neer it

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

reply to post by LvSLoLo

Are you serious? star trek would be dead to me if this guy was anyware neer it

Oh bloody hell yeah....sorry, but like mat damon for kirk, spock brody isn't. There are people I can open the mind's eye to filling certain roles...but iconic characters like spock, kirk, luke, leia, clark kent, and so on and so on......we have been led down a marry road at exactly what the character is supposed to be, look like, act like....not to be superficial by any stretch, but some actors and actresses cannot fit certain roles that their fans have come to expect. I know this is shallow, but if you just make a movie, then put who you want in it....However, if you are taking something already ingrained in the eyes of a fan......do it right, Don't make the fans spend half the time trying to cope with a 'weird' person in the role.........

For Example......

Scooby-Doo movie comes out next year, and they make Scooby a Jack-Russel Terrier......Now I have a JR, and I love him to death, BUT....I also grew up watching scooby, and scooby is NO JR.....

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I agrea it would basicaly be like the movie predators...brody just cant be a tough guy look at him and they expected him to be like arnie? the guy looks so strange if he played any character on star trek id go out of my way to avoid it.

Im glad JJ has some brains despite all the people who hate him for some reason

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Gary Sinise was in talks at one point to play Bones.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join