It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Real" SkyNet: When Will it Happen?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
It won't happen.

Strong AI presupposes that there is nothing unique about biological (as opposed to non-biological) intelligence; that intelligence is an entirely generic commodity, which can be expressed by either biological or mechanical entities to an equal degree. There is no proof for this assertion.

You might get someone growing an organic brain of some type, hooking the wetware into a machine, and then calling *that* strong AI. Purely mechanical/electronic (chip based) strong AI, however, will not happen. There is a limit to the degree to which chips can miniaturise on a per-node level; and per-node miniaturisation (as well as it being decentralised) is the key to intelligence.

I also don't believe, for the record, that the fictional Skynet was true strong AI. It was very smart weak, but still weak. It still worked via attempted pattern recognition, when it came to fighting the Resistance; and when it couldn't find a pattern within Connor's guerilla tactics, it didn't know what to do. It was programmed mainly for strategic scale (as in intercontinental, remote war with nuclear weapons) rather than tactical scale ("boots on the ground," in specific, localised theatres) warfare, and when it was confronted with a need to adapt to the tactical scale, it experienced extreme difficulty.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by fuserleer

I read an article today about facial recognition software that will be incorporated into televisions. This new feature will identify which family member is watching t.v. and either allow or disallow certain shows. I guess its a security feature of the software to keep kids from watching inappropriate t.v. I assume you will also be able to build a profile and have the t.v. "predict" and suggest different shows based on likes.

<< 1   >>

join