It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong’s poor living in cages

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to
those conditions look better than where im currently living

That makes two of us.

As for the cages, I'm sure it's so they can lock up their belongings when they leave. Either way though, it was a sad picture gallery.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I don't understand how someone can decide to build this sort of thing. How can anyone wake up one day and think "I have this building/room and I want to squeeze as many people in here as I can so I'll build cages for them to maximize space."

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by LurkingHere
I don't understand how someone can decide to build this sort of thing. How can anyone wake up one day and think "I have this building/room and I want to squeeze as many people in here as I can so I'll build cages for them to maximize space."

You mean like American prisons?

Second line.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LurkingHere

I imagine it was not built that way, but retrofitted to serve more people. I understand the "security" thing and the usage of space, but I still feel the entire scenario strips those folks of their dignity. They are being warehoused, in a storage space, which may or may not be "climate controlled." Our country has facilities like that for storing goods. Our prisons are for warehousing people and removing them from the general population to varying degrees, up to solitary with no contact whatsoever.

I know that in Japan the living spaces are eeny-weeny small, and people maximize the use of that space, but during their disaster last spring, it was reported that they don't have locks on their doors, that no one would consider stealing from their neighbors.

Hong Kong is not Japan, though, and the Chinese seem to have little in common with the Japanese in many ways. Anyways, anyone with a bolt cutter could get into those cages if they wanted to steal something.

Saddening.
--wt

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
*in a conservative voice*

They need to stop being so lazy and go out and look for a job! The free ride is OVER!!

/End sarcasm.

It boggles my mind how people still live in this kind of poverty when we are so technologically advanced. Obviously our "Humanitarian" side just hasn't developed quite as fast, this is disgusting to say the least, though not surprising.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
You would think that such an advanced culture and society would at least have nice, cardboard boxes to live in. Much like America's poor

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
How is this any different to the people in the US who now live in tents?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
You would think that such an advanced culture and society would at least have nice, cardboard boxes to live in. Much like America's poor

Indeed, abit of cardboard would definitely raise the living standards here! They'd be poor but COMFORTABLE!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
They live in that poverty, so that us westerners may have cheap chinese made technological luxuries.

You should be saying thank you to them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join