It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested for not tipping at NY restaurant

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsider

Bottom line is I do get it, but obviously your mad because your probably one of the cheapskates here and you don't like that reality.

Perhaps you should actually READ the posts before you go off on your cantankerous tangents. It's obvious you do not, because you accuse me of being a cheapskate, and that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the thread, let alone my responses. If you can't take the time to read, don't take the time to insult me with your ridiculous accusations....

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
To Insure Proper Service....

Well, if they're working there as a wait-person, then I expect them to give proper service regardless of whether there's a tip involved because that's their job. I've known many who thought that being a waiter sucked and so they got another job, as those in other industries do when they're unhappy with their profession.

gratuity

n 1: a relatively small amount of money given for services rendered (as by a waiter) [syn: tip, pourboire, baksheesh, bakshish, bakshis, backsheesh] 2: an award (as for meritorious service) given without claim or obligation

Without claim or obligation. Rich or poor, a tip is not owed, and servers don't have the right to make the next dining experience miserable because someone didn't tip during the last one, or to spit in their food, or anything else. I think everyone has agreed that they tip based on service anywhere from 10% - 20%. For a restaurant to try to force a gratuity is wrong, regardless of the group size. They need to call it a service charge, reservation charge, cover charge, whatever, but not a mandatory tip because there is no such thing. The thread isn't about who's cheap and who's not, who's rich or poor, who dines fine or swine... it's about madatory tipping. It's not right and the court backed it up.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Well it seems interesting to have such a divided debate on this subject, I for one agree with most, but being that my mother and some of my good friends have served food over their lifetime's, I have to fall on the side of thinking the law should say that there be a gratuity included on the bill for large parties, and before the flame war renews, let me explain...

yes there is a possibility of bad service, but rarely do I ever hear of bad service to a large party, most places i have been to or around usually have to put exponentially more work into a large party then smaller groups, requiring more servers and extra attention, any good establishment will likely cater to those individuals. now i understand there might be that rare case where you get a disgruntled individual who sucks, but to my knowledge, when the owner sees that their is a large party, he will usually assign his better servers.

If the naysayers can say they've ever been in a large party at a decent restaraunt and not had the servers have to do alot of extra work, then feel free to pipe in. But i find it is rarely the case

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by wpetito

yes there is a possibility of bad service, but rarely do I ever hear of bad service to a large party, most places i have been to or around usually have to put exponentially more work into a large party then smaller groups, requiring more servers and extra attention, any good establishment will likely cater to those individuals. now i understand there might be that rare case where you get a disgruntled individual who sucks, but to my knowledge, when the owner sees that their is a large party, he will usually assign his better servers.

If the naysayers can say they've ever been in a large party at a decent restaraunt and not had the servers have to do alot of extra work, then feel free to pipe in. But i find it is rarely the case

I beg to differ. I actually DESPISE going to a restaurant in a large group BECAUSE the service is usually so poor. Granted, it takes more time to serve a group, and I understand that. What I don't like is rude service to large groups, which in my experience is the norm, not the exception. Another aspect is that most restaurants refuse to break the check up, instead they force the group to do it. The register has the change, not the patrons. And to day it is difficult...bull. That's what modern registers and calculators are fro. It is FAR easier for the establishment to do it. They just don't want to do the extra work of splitting and receiving payment on separate checks. I say too bad...that's what you are in BUISNESS FOR!!! The customer is always right....within reason, of course....

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by torque
They need to call it a service charge, reservation charge, cover charge, whatever, but not a mandatory tip because there is no such thing. The thread isn't about who's cheap and who's not, who's rich or poor, who dines fine or swine... it's about madatory tipping. It's not right and the court backed it up.

I agree with you!

This is ridiculous; to be arrested for such a thing. I always tip 10-30 percent, but if I found that I miscalculated my funds and could not afford to tip I would be more than upset if I was arrested for not tipping - not to mention just appauled.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Godsent

Originally posted by torque
They need to call it a service charge, reservation charge, cover charge, whatever, but not a mandatory tip because there is no such thing. The thread isn't about who's cheap and who's not, who's rich or poor, who dines fine or swine... it's about madatory tipping. It's not right and the court backed it up.

I agree with you!

This is ridiculous; to be arrested for such a thing. I always tip 10-30 percent, but if I found that I miscalculated my funds and could not afford to tip I would be more than upset if I was arrested for not tipping - not to mention just appauled.

Well, where I work, if someone screwed us on a tip, my boss just takes a few bucks off the bill, in the form of a coupon or something. You had to get honestly scwered though.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join