It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul cuts off CNN again

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
As I was looking to see what the media coverage was of Ron (addressing another thread), I noticed one of the top Ron Paul stories has not been reported here -- Ron Paul cuts off CNN again.

During a campaign stop here Monday morning, Mr. Paul abruptly cut off a brief interview with the CNN reporter Dana Bash when she asked about his ability to connect with voters in New Hampshire.

A top aide to Mr. Paul, Jesse Benton, could be seen — and heard — shouting at Ms. Bash as Mr. Paul removed a microphone from his sweater.

I haven't watched to see what Benton was shouting, but I suspect it'll be reported somewhere.

Now -- here's where it gets interesting. The story reports he walked out of an interview where he was asked about racist remarks in the newsletter -- which is NOT unusual behavior for a candidate. Others have done it when they felt questions were offensive, and he did the same thing in December.

HOWEVER -- there's this little gem that is apparently ALSO impacting his news coverage:

Mr. Paul’s political operation, which once assiduously courted the news media when his nascent campaign struggled for attention, has restricted access in recent weeks. In Iowa, for example, aides told volunteers not to speak to any member of the news media.

So apparently his organization is not approaching the press lately. This seems like a bad tactic, because the reporters don't want to spend hours chasing someone for a "no comment" or slammed bus door when they could walk up to someone else who's willing to give them some time so they can make a story for the 5 o'clock news.

Like Mitt Romney. He's been very happy to talk to them.

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
If you were getting asked the same stupid low IQ questions every single time CNN came up to you, you'd be pissed off as well. Lol

MSM wants to get Ron Paul to answer a bunch of garbage so that they can edit it to what they want to air later on and make him look bad.

There is a difference between being a journalist and being an annoying biased nuisance being a broken record asking the same dumb question Ron Paul has answered 27 other times. Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Indellkoffer

In Iowa, for example, aides told volunteers not to speak to any member of the news media.

Asking volunteers to not speak to the news media is pretty standard I would imagine. Nobody wants to send the wrong message. That is a long way from his campaign not speaking to the news media. The earlier story, when he supposedly walked out on an interview, was bunk from the beginning. He gave the interviewer plenty of time to ask questions, he was gracious, he answered the majority, and he even responded to the racist accusation a few times, he only left after she started repeating herself, and he was still gracious as he exited politely. The thread, with the whole video is on ATS.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
OP... well I read your source, and I got a different interpretation as you (apparently) did.

The woman requesting his immediate, direct, and singular attention was shouting at him, and even followed him (while shouting) to his car, when he was leaving.
Source claims that the woman wanted Ron Paul to come meet with her and her mother, as they were "open" to voting for a different candidate than Obama.

This lady doesn't sound very sane, if she were just an ordinary citizen.
Now whether she was paid, or is a sincere narcissist, is anyone's guess.

But this small attempt at slamming Ron Paul for nothing is pretty sad, actually.
GG New York Times, nice try.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
After how CNN LIED and edited film to make him look like he 'stormed out' of an interview, after Wolf Blitzer (AIPAC super go to guy Lobbyist) has hounded him on the newsletters since his 2008 campaign, after being ignored in polls online, having his face wiped from news stories as a top tier candidate, after being short changed in the majority of debates for time and equal questions, after the some media pundits being CAUGHT on film saying they are hoping Ron Paul fails, after PENTAGON NEWS reporters being caught on a hot mic saying that if Ron gets elected their jobs are in danger (paraphrasing), after their willful deceit about success in straw polls.....etc....etc...etc..'

I think I would ignore them too.

The MSM is literally battling Ron Paul collectively. Not a 'conspiracy' anymore. Out right open bias and blatant attacks, which are getting more obvious as time goes on.

He's HATED by them. Question is why. I think I know why, but that's another story.

Alternative and International media are picking up their slack. Independent journalists are reporting the real stuff on him.

The MSM is becoming irrelevant and obsolete. They can afford to be ignored and put in their corner now.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by davereality
If you were getting asked the same stupid low IQ questions every single time CNN came up to you, you'd be pissed off as well. Lol

I totally agree with you; it's not much different than all the birther nonsense.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Indellkoffer

In Iowa, for example, aides told volunteers not to speak to any member of the news media.

Asking volunteers to not speak to the news media is pretty standard I would imagine. Nobody wants to send the wrong message. That is a long way from his campaign not speaking to the news media. The earlier story, when he supposedly walked out on an interview, was bunk from the beginning. He gave the interviewer plenty of time to ask questions, he was gracious, he answered the majority, and he even responded to the racist accusation a few times, he only left after she started repeating herself, and he was still gracious as he exited politely. The thread, with the whole video is on ATS.

This. Exactly this.

If you've ever volunteered for a campaign on any level, it's very par for the course to be asked not to communicate with the media. No conspiracy - they just want to make sure that anyone speaking on behalf of the candidate is 100% prepared to do so in a way that would accurately and positively reflect the positions of the candidate.

Now if you had an internal memo or something asking PR people and campaign representatives to avoid all contact with the media, that would be a different story.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bojimbo

I read the original story. Dr. Paul and his wife were stopping at a small eatery to have breakfast and meet with voters. Apparently a mob of 'media' laid seige to the restaurant making it impossible to even move through the establishment, let alone attempt to meet with voters. Campaign staff decided to leave abruptly when the situation was clearly untenable and this woman followed RP to his car and insisted he return to meet with voters. From the original story the situation was just out-of-control.

source 1

source 2

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by bojimbo

I read the original story. Dr. Paul and his wife were stopping at a small eatery to have breakfast and meet with voters. Apparently a mob of 'media' laid seige to the restaurant making it impossible to even move through the establishment, let alone attempt to meet with voters. Campaign staff decided to leave abruptly when the situation was clearly untenable and this woman followed RP to his car and insisted he return to meet with voters. From the original story the situation was just out-of-control.

source 1

source 2

Yes, campaigns get chaotic...and there is always lots of media around.

First there was no media for Ron Paul, and he and his supporters cried about it...now there is too much media...and he and his supporters are crying about it.

I think I will call Ron Paul...Goldilocks from now on...not too much media...but not too little either...he wants it just right.

The real story is that the CNN reporter asked him about leaving the diner early later on in the day and that is when he walked out of that interview. So really...Ron Paul walked out of two events today...walked out of the diner where he was supposed to meet with voters and walked out on another interview because he didn't like the question.

Good job Ron...you sure know how to win them over.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

reply to post by bojimbo

That's what I saw as well -- as I said, the more interesting part was that they seemed to be shunning media contacts. I can understand telling staff not to talk to media without clearing things (people say some darn stupid stuff) and yes, the situation was getting out of control. It was interesting that a point was being made about it, as though perhaps the staff had been overly eager in divulging things.

I feel that Paul could have handled the situation differently, turning to the reporter and saying something like "this is a difficult place for an interview. If you'll wait at the campaign bus, I will be glad to give you some time in ten minutes." Cutting off the reporter and leaving was not one of the better options -- and that's clear by the tone of the report. Many politicians have found out that being hostile to reporters gets them dissed in the press while their rivals (who are polite and charming to the press) get much better coverage.

And that's just human social nature. Ronald Reagan was one of the ones who knew how to work the charm.

Of course, most of the options (having the cops or the restaurant owner throw her out) would be problematic. I have read some reports that restaurant owners are getting tired of having politicians (and the crowds) in their facilities -- anyone with a far-sighted campaign staff should start rethinking this strategy and looking at the ways other candidates have found to terminate interviews that get disruptive without alienating the reporter.

Will there be more of these incidents? It's possible.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
[The real story is that the CNN reporter asked him about leaving the diner early later on in the day and that is when he walked out of that interview. So really...Ron Paul walked out of two events today...walked out of the diner where he was supposed to meet with voters and walked out on another interview because he didn't like the question.

Ohhhhhhhh.... Well, that changes things!

I'd gotten distracted while reading the story about him walking out, and when I came back to the story, the "woman shouting" caught my eye and I started reading from there. I think his handlers need a better set of options for handling these things, because I suspect he'll have more fractious fans showing up.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

reply to post by bojimbo

source 1

source 2

Yes, campaigns get chaotic...and there is always lots of media around.

First there was no media for Ron Paul, and he and his supporters cried about it...now there is too much media...and he and his supporters are crying about it.

I think I will call Ron Paul...Goldilocks from now on...not too much media...but not too little either...he wants it just right.

The real story is that the CNN reporter asked him about leaving the diner early later on in the day and that is when he walked out of that interview. So really...Ron Paul walked out of two events today...walked out of the diner where he was supposed to meet with voters and walked out on another interview because he didn't like the question.

Good job Ron...you sure know how to win them over.

Nice way to leave out some facts.

The Dinner was out of control. Media was falling over into the laps of patrons. Patrons were tripping over tripods. Waitresses were unable to get food out to customers and were shouting over top of them for them to move. Had Paul stayed at this Dinner someone could have gotten hurt and then we would be seeing all the threads about Ron Paul having no concern for private citizens. Remember the press Santorum got for getting in the way during a Bowl game? People were kinda ticked off and this was turning into much the same situation. Read for yourself here as reported by Yahoo.
Yahoo News- Dinner incident

As far as the Interview goes, Paul did not "walk off". His Campaign guy cut off the interview and said "we're done" a few times after he found her question to be biased. He even explains why he finds the question unfair. If you actually WATCH the interview, Ron Paul is continuing to answer ALL her questions. It was not until Benton says, "We're Done" that Paul stops answering questions and listens to his Campaign Manager.

Watch the interview for yourself and you decide what you think happened here?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is being reported on Facebook as coming from the Paul camp regarding the Diner Incident. If I can find it posted elsewhere I will post the link here.

Ron Paul Campaign Statement on Morning Media Incident CONCORD, N.H.

– Jesse Benton, national campaign chairman for the Ron Paul campaign, released the following statement today in regards to the media incident in Manchester, NH this morning:

“Dr. Paul has been committed to meeting one on one with New Hampshire voters, and has aggressively campaigned at town halls, house parties, and meet and greets since early last spring.

“This morning, he attempted to hold an event at Moe Joe’s Diner in Manchester, to speak with patrons and supporters in the last push before the New Hampshire primary. Unfortunately, Dr. Paul and his family were forced to leave early after over 120 members of the press created a mob-like atmosphere that was deemed to be unsafe for the candidate, Moe Joe’s customers, and reporters themselves.

“The campaign had planned to cover our normal degree of media interest, which is always ample. However, a significant increase in the press corps, largely driven by an influx of foreign journalists, exceeded all expectations.

“Mrs. Paul herself, attempting to campaign alongside her husband, was shoved aside by one reporter and told to 'get out of the way.'

“While we are very welcoming of media coverage and grateful for the interest in Dr. Paul and his campaign, basic safety simply must come first. On behalf of Dr. Paul and his campaign team, I would like to apologize to customers at Moe Joe’s who may have been distressed by this incident, and extend our gratitude and apologies to the owners, who were kind enough to have us.

“We ask the press, at all upcoming events over the next day and a half, to be respectful of both Dr. Paul and of New Hampshire voters, who are entitled to examine their candidates in a safe and responsible atmosphere.”

The Atlantic appears to have a report including the Statement from the Paul campaign that I just found while making this post.
The Atlantic

Portions of the Statement were reported here.
MSNBC Link

Business Insider is reporting that the "Media is totally out of hand". It also states that the place was "a mad house" before Paul and reporters ever arrived.
Business Insider

But of course.. let's blame it all on Ron Paul. Let us not let a thing like FACTS get in the way of spewing hatred for a Candidate

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Not to mention the original lady that didn't get to meet him was most likely a media plant / attention whore. "Ron Paul didn't shake my hand and now I aint gonna vote for him." Good one lady, hope you vote for Obama and have a front row seat to America's slide down the sh***er.

The RP campaign just needs to freeze out Dana Bash. She is just there to cause trouble most times and has stated on air that she has a problem personally with the RP campaign catching momentum. She should be removed solely for that, IMO.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

How can we even be a 100% sure those "so called voters" were actually for Ron Paul? I saw the lady who said she saved a table for him to sit at and she didn't even look bright enough to be a Ron Paul supporter anyways. This is once again the media trying to win the people over to make Ron Paul seem like a rude individual, and when he blamed the media, they started crying. Of course the vultures that the MSM is will continue ripping things out of context, and will most definitely be using this strategy til election day. Good luck trying to convince the unconvinced.

The MSM is going down

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

After watching the video and hearing the question...I have an even worse opinion of Ron Paul considering this incident. What an arrogant man...him and his campaign manager.

She asked a fair question about what a New Hampshire voted said to her...what is wrong with that??? Is that what we have to look forward to with a Ron Paul presidency??? Is he only going to answer the questions that he approves of??? I thought he was about transparency and being open and honest...not blaming the media for every little thing that goes wrong with your campaign.

Ron Paul...the Goldilocks candidate...not too much media...but not too little...

edit on 9-1-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

How can we even be a 100% sure those "so called voters" were actually for Ron Paul? I saw the lady who said she saved a table for him to sit at and she didn't even look bright enough to be a Ron Paul supporter anyways.

Wow...you Ron Paul supporters are an arrogant bunch aren't you.

She didn't "LOOK" smart enough....WOW.

Ron Paul supporters have created their own little form of elitism....and it is quite funny...but sad and disgusting at the same time.

This is once again the media trying to win the people over to make Ron Paul seem like a rude individual, and when he blamed the media, they started crying. Of course the vultures that the MSM is will continue ripping things out of context, and will most definitely be using this strategy til election day. Good luck trying to convince the unconvinced.

The MSM is going down

Currently on ATS we have two recent threads on Ron Paul....this one claiming there is too much media on Ron Paul and it is hurting his campaign...and another claiming the media is ignoring him.

You know what...with Ron Paul treating reporters like this...yelling at them and walking out on interviews...I would ignore him too. The last thing you want to do in a campaign is declare war on the media.

For as smart as some people say Ron Paul is...he does some really dumb things.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dance4Life
Not to mention the original lady that didn't get to meet him was most likely a media plant / attention whore. "Ron Paul didn't shake my hand and now I aint gonna vote for him." Good one lady, hope you vote for Obama and have a front row seat to America's slide down the sh***er.

The RP campaign just needs to freeze out Dana Bash. She is just there to cause trouble most times and has stated on air that she has a problem personally with the RP campaign catching momentum. She should be removed solely for that, IMO.

"most likely a media plant"....and what evidence do you have for that sensationalist claim???

Fine..have the RP campaign freeze out Dana Bush...have them declare war on the media...just don't cry when the media freezes out the RP campaign and doesn't talk about them. Then you can go back to saying the media ignores him instead of saying that there is too much media on him.

Wow...just some amazing logic going on in this thread.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

So people who tell the truth are arrogant? I am not going to beat around the bush, but I highly doubt that lady had anything intelligent or interesting to ask anyways...Like Dance and I said above she was probably planted by the media to be an attention hog.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS

So people who tell the truth are arrogant? I am not going to beat around the bush, but I highly doubt that lady had anything intelligent or interesting to ask anyways...Like Dance and I said above she was probably planted by the media to be an attention hog.

And you know all of that just by looking at her

Yeah...that's not arrogant at all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join