It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 Movies... really?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
First off, let me apologize, this will be a short thread as I am simply seeking the opinions of others on the subject.

I have seen advertisments on television for a new movie to be released about a boy whose father died during the

tradgedy of september 11th by the name of extremeley loud and incredibly close.

My concern lies here: why are we making movies about this? and does anyone

else find this disturbing or otherwise unsettling in any way?

Thank you for your time.

extremelyloudandincrediblyclose.warnerbros.com...

edit on 9-1-2012 by defythetyrants because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2012 by defythetyrants because: structure

edit on 9-1-2012 by defythetyrants because: vid add

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Distrubing UNLESS all MONEY GOES TO THE FAMILIES OF THE LOST!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

i can agree with that but Tom Hanks is a millionaire, if he was THAT concerned why not hand the cash over to a foundation that will in turn give the money to the families of the victims?

I know thats what i would do if it were me.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
just another way for the crooks to peddal their official story
....it must be true, they made a movie about it.........grrrrr

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
No.

I do not find this 'disturbing." And why you do is beyond me.

One of the tag-lines of the film states,

"This is not a movie about 9/11. It's about the days after."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, as a matter of fact... It's about time.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
just another way for the crooks to peddal their official story
....it must be true, they made a movie about it.........grrrrr

THAT is exactly what i am afraid of Jazzguy.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I would say most of the US film industry thrives on stories set in some historical setting... Whether it's Vietnam or the killing of JFK. Usually US crimes packaged in a web of lies with some romantic element as a desert.

Really not sure why 911 is any different.. Oh yeah may I add that the knowledge that US citizens have about historical facts are also a dramatic fail because they mix up facts with Hollywood fiction.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by defythetyrants

I think it's amazing that Hollywood has shown as much restraint as it has, as eager as it usually is to exploit any new angle as quickly as possible. This is only the 3rd or 4th movie that I know of to address 9/11 so directly. As far as the ethical question, generally speaking, I think any subject is acceptable in art if it is handled with respect.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by defythetyrants
First off, let me apologize, this will be a short thread as I am simply seeking the opinions of others on the subject.

I have seen advertisments on television for a new movie to be released about a boy whose father died during the

tradgedy of september 11th by the name of extremeley loud and incredibly close. My concern lies here: why are we making movies about this? and does anyone

Thank you for your time.

watch?v=50ZQoOJv5vg[/yvid]
extremelyloudandincrediblyclose.warnerbros.com...[/url]

I can't say anything more until I know more about the plot of the movie. If the 9/11 attack was specifically relevent to the story, or if it's based upon the story of an actual family who lost a father, then I won't have a problem. If it's just a frivolous detail to the story which could have easily been exchanged by "the father was killed by a drunk driver" then it's a case of milking the public's emotions over 9/11 for the sake of making a fast buck in movie revenues. People won't be going to see it because of the "healing" component of the story. They'll be seeing it because of the "9/11 attack" component of the story.

It would be equally as reprehensible as those damned fool conspiracy web sites spreading "controlled demolitions" paranoia to make a fast buck of gullible "the gov't is plotting to murder us all" radicals. It's just that they'd be putting it in a different wrapper.
edit on 9-1-2012 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

yes, that i understand.

however, the way I am viewing this is as just another way to perpetuate the false story and generate another string of propaganda concerning what is by far the worst tradgedy i have ever witnessed.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoodOlDave

tradgedy of september 11th by the name of extremeley loud and incredibly close. My concern lies here: why are we making movies about this? and does anyone

Thank you for your time.

watch?v=50ZQoOJv5vg[/yvid]
extremelyloudandincrediblyclose.warnerbros.com...[/url]

I can't say anything more until I know more about the plot of the movie. If the 9/11 attack was specifically relevent to the story, or if it's based upon the story of an actual family who lost a father, then I won't have a problem. If it's just a frivolous detail to the story which could have easily been exchanged by "the father was killed by a drunk driver" then it's a case of milking the public's emotions over 9/11 for the sake of making a fast buck in movie revenues. People won't be going to see it because of the "healing" component of the story. They'll be seeing it because of the "9/11 attack" component of the story.

It would be equally as reprehensible as those damned fool conspiracy web sites spreading "controlled demolitions" paranoia to make a fast buck of gullible "the gov't is plotting to murder us all" radicals. It's just that they'd be putting it in a different wrapper.
edit on 9-1-2012 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

it is based on the family, but that being the case how could it still be viewed as a film not related to 9/11?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jahn369

I think it's amazing that Hollywood has shown as much restraint as it has, as eager as it usually is to exploit any new angle as quickly as possible. This is only the 3rd or 4th movie that I know of to address 9/11 so directly. As far as the ethical question, generally speaking, I think any subject is acceptable in art if it is handled with respect.

I suppose that is a great way to look at it. Thanks for the input!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodOlDave

From what I gather from the trailers, it is just that; a background to explain how the dad died. It adds very little to the story in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

There are so many 9/11 movies and so soon that it feels to me that a story is not only being told but forced into your head. "This is the way it happened, there's a movie about it" and that's what people will say. The 9/11 movies are clearly unprecidented as for how many have been made in such a short time after a disaster.
edit on 9-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54

There are so many 9/11 movies and so soon that it feels to me that a story is not only being told but forced into your head. "This is the way it happened, there's a movie about it" and that's what people will say. The 9/11 movies are clearly unprecidented as for how mant have been made in such a short time.

Exactly how i feel, perpetuation of the original story.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

yes, that i understand.

however, the way I am viewing this is as just another way to perpetuate the false story and generate another string of propaganda concerning what is by far the worst tradgedy i have ever witnessed.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
I think TPTB certainly took their time
to come out with this. I'm sure they'll
say it was out of respect, but I think
they waited to see where the whole
Official Story would shake out.

Throw Tom Hanks in a movie and you'll
have the hearts and minds of an entire world.
The only story that will matter to the audience
is the one they saw on the big screen.
Brilliant move if they did this as propaganda.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

9/11/2001 is a historic American event. It will be a plot mechanism in film and literature. Like most tragic historic events it will probably be handled pretty carefully. Film and literature are businesses and no one wants to produce anything that's going to turn people off.

That being said, if you are of the mind that something other than hijacked planes crashing into buildings is invovled in 9/11 than you are going to be quited frustrated. With the possible exception of an independent comedy about a bunch of stoner truthers (which I heard is in the works) no one is going to seriously consider presenting "alternative" scenarios for mass consumption.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
''Disturbing or otherwise unsettling in any way? '' ..........no and yes
, imagine if all the 9 /11 truth seekers donated a dollar to a fund for a film version of there estimate of what took place on that day, and some major hollywood A listers were starring in it , the film get's made and released , now we all know for sure the MSM would rip it apart , they would say the narrative of the film is an insult to all the people who died and their families, who have to pick up the pieces on a daily basis, a very large percentage of the population in America and around the world would agree , that it was an insult to the memory of the dead, the makers and stars of the film would be ridiculed , death threats maybe , litigation maybe , boycotts of cinema's etc.

How many movies , not documentaries movies regarding JFK assassination ,

"JFK." Oliver Stone that's it one. the rest are all documentary films,

"The JFK Assassination: The Jim Garrison Tapes."

"Beyond JFK: The Question of Conspiracy."

"The Murder of JFK: A Revisionist History."

"Rush to Judgment."

Why in all this time only one major film ? because as we all know Hollywood is elite controlled.

Fiction is truth and truth is blah blah blah .

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing

yes, that i understand.

not just Hanks but America's "sweetheart" Sandra effing Bullock as well! great addition.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing

yes, that i understand.

not just Hanks but America's "sweetheart" Sandra effing Bullock as well! great addition.

Wow, you said it. Throwing those two together
into 2 hours of thought control is dangerous.
Especially for gullible, heart-wrenched Americans.
It's like they've weaponized a movie.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join