True Hip-Hop

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Hip-Hop started off as a means of expressing your opinion, your feelings and your hardships. Young men and women living in New York slums in 1973, started Hip-Hop with African melinated throat and drums which rhymed rythmically with the beat. DJ Clive Kool Herc Campbellwas the originator of Hip-Hop, mixing African, Jamaican and Breaks Beats into what is known today as Hip-Hop. Hip-Hop was a great means of spreading messages, mainly ones about hardships and opression, but also a way of spreading joy and good vibes.

Today Hip-hop has turned into a money making machine, that spreads messages of greed, corruption, disrespect for life, hate, murder and the objectification of 'hoes'. 'Artists' such as Li'l Wayne and Gucci man are feeding this torrent of 'music' that spreads the wrong message and is a huge contributing factor to the greed and hate of todays youth.

There are still Artists today that produce true Hip-Hop and keep the blackening heart of Hip-Hop beating. Artists such as The Pharcyde, KRS One, Dead Prez and Mos Def strive to keep Hip-Hop's soul going.

I am dedicating this Thread to all true Hip-Hop, no matter the artist, the production scale, the country it comes from or when it was produced, please share some of your favourite Hip-Hop tracks.

I'll start off with a few of mine.

edit on 9-1-2012 by Dionisius because: because i can

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I came in here thinking you were gonna post crap like Immortal Teknique or whatever but you didn't and I see Nas's Hip Hop Is Dead first. THANK YOU for appreciating real hip hop/poetry (what Nas really is known for) and not saying Immortal whatever his name is, is good and we should all listen to it. I hate when people do that.

S&F

And may I add this:
edit on 9-1-2012 by TRILL because: added video

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Yes Hip Hop originated from the streets but The Main Stream Media hi jacked it as is usual
There are great and informed and sincere Hip Hoppers though it is not my personal preference even I can appreciate it

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
My 2 cents:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
gotta go with the number one independent selling artist in the world

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TRILL

u do know immortal technique is one of the few real rappers in tha game ?
he didnt sell out to the big record companies he actually raps about real ch##
and THAT is what real hip hop is about imo
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4toOfTN5OXM

www.youtube.com...
edit on 9-1-2012 by thebestnr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by thebestnr1

id have to agree that ive never been a fan of nas but its my personal opinion he aint my flavor. hes still and OG of rap tho so you gotta give respect where its due

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DankKing420
gotta go with the number one independent selling artist in the world

Sorry, Tech n9ne isn't Hip-Hop, or Rap. He is more Crunk, crazy, hyphy club rap. That does not count as "True Hip Hop". And I don't even wanna know what gave you that impression, hahaha

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TRILL

No worries brother.

I love Dilated peoples but not so sure about Kanye, his music nowadays is of the lowest quality. More Pop than Hip-hop.

Thanks for contributing.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebestnr1
reply to post by TRILL

u do know imortal technique is one of the few real rappers in tha game ?
he didnt sell out to the big record companies
and THAT is what real hip hop is about
nass is a joke man he only has a few good songs

No, it is not what real hip hop is about. Hip hop is about rhyming ingenuity. Not talking about how the government screws us over on everything. I think you need a Hip Hop REBOOT.

And Immortal Teknique not selling out to the big record companies doesn't mean he's "a real rapper", it means he couldn't sell out anyways to big record companies because he's too furious and uncontrollable and a bad influence for many across the world.....His lyrics should tell you that more than I can say in 50 paragraphs. Immortal may have some good lyricism but he is NOT HIP HOP. NAS IS REAL HIP HOP. DEL THA FUNKY HOMOSAPIEN is true HIP HOP, not some dude who hates his government and raps about it in every single song.
edit on 9-1-2012 by TRILL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Now you're speaking my language!

My constantly-growing playlist of 125+ tracks - Kickback Tracks

Illuminati by Wise Intelligent (sick beat BTW)

Let's keep this thread going and the music pumping!
edit on 06/14/2011 by 2x Helix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dionisius
reply to post by TRILL

No worries brother.

I love Dilated peoples but not so sure about Kanye, his music nowadays is of the lowest quality. More Pop than Hip-hop.

Thanks for contributing.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to say about Kanye lol but Dilated Peoples and the rap group Heiroglyphics. To the OP, I really want you watch this music video. It's Del Tha Funkee Homosapien. Speaking true words on real hip hop in this song, tell me if you'd agree

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TRILL

maybe not old school hip hop but your going to be hard pressed to find anything like nas tupac biggie and dre nowadays.

the old hip hop is unfortunatly dead and its up to us now to find the good rappers and separate them from the garbage like gucci that they get lumped in with
heres a better video of his rap skills it aint a club banger

i also wanna throw this in cause D12 can rap theres no saying they cant

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Ah yes, I can't post any videos at present but what I will say.
My 2 cents:

The purporseful dismantling of hip hop by the powers that be have landed a particularly hard blow on the female Mcs of Hip hop.

By that I mean the fly girls, the lyricsts, the queen mothers.

My fondest memory was being a little girl and loving hip hop and being elated when I saw salt-n-peppa videos. Who were those girls on stage with the microphone and fly cuts?

Or when The Fugees "The Score" dropped and the then Lauryn Hill (who I had only seen in Sister Act 2 at the time) was undeniably the best Lyricst on the album. My mind was blown.

What happened was that when lil Kim was introduced , a plethora of male industry heads (and "others") schemed to make less talented carbon copies to infiltrate the system. (Giving respect where respect is due Lil Kim is a Legend in her own right which could be the reason so many clones have to attack her instead of paying homage)

Sadly so many young women needing their identity in hip hop are only left with the N.Minajs - who would make a better BroadWay show or haunted house exihibit than MC.

Thanks for starting thread.
edit on 9-1-2012 by femalepharoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TRILL

No, it is not what real hip hop is about. Hip hop is about rhyming ingenuity.

I respectfully disagree, If Hip-Hop were about "Rhyming INgenuity", it would have always been as it is today...

Today's hip hop does not lack rhyming ingenuity. The artists of today use intricate flows and many are plethoric rappers in their own right. Hip Hop is about Ideas, not skill. Otherwise someone like Drake is the best ever, even though he talks about nothing but drinking and whatnot.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by femalepharoe

i constantly tell my friends that id be gladly willing to listen to a female rapper they just cant be trash like the ones that seem to gain popularity.

i listen to rap for lyrics. somthing minaj, trina and all the others have yet to accomplish. they just like to sound like hoes

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I do not share the OP's views on A Tribe Called Quest being included in this thread, but then again I suppose it is all in the eyes of the beholder.

I am more of a fan of the underground scene.

Atmosphere, Murs, Aesop Rock, Grieves, Jay Electronica, ect are the only artists in the 'Rap/Hip-Hop' scene I respect/

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

released 31st may 2011

rise - liquid stranger (ft heavyweight dub champion & krs one)

youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadys321

tech n9ne my friend im telling you.

hes the number one independent artist in the world. king of the underground

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join