It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe and US Be Aware - Winter Is Returning...

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by fakemessiah

I don't know, I think people just exaggerate things a lot, I mean winter happens every year, it gets cold, but every year winter comes, and every year people get surprised.

I'm thinking you missed the point. The issue is not so much the occurrence of winter. It's the non arrival of winter till now with many of us thinking we might be heading into spring unscathed! Hence the perfectly valid heads up that conditions are going to change substantially.
edit on 27-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Looks like you predicted a storm, but nothing about the larger picture.

The snow has mostly melted in most of Minnesota and Michigan. Rain in Late January is not the winter I remember.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Well, a little later than expected, but winter is finally arriving in Britain and the next couple of weeks could be quite interesting. Maybe not quite a repeat of Dec 2010, but or us in the south who have had a very mild, uneventful winter so far, it's going to come as quite a shock.

Interestingly the Met Office are suggesting the risk of quite substantial snowfalls, though the predicted synoptics (as per model output) do not suggest anything major as yet. The good news is that energy firms have just cut the cost of gas.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well if this verifies the southern half of the uk will come to a standstill

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

I just want to confirm your model's prediction. My ex-girlfriend in the northern United States is freezing her butt.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I live in Australia and it's currently and we've been having the complete opposite we've had more cold days than hot

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
@ jrmcleod

Hey, man, thanks a lot! Please, keep updating this thread. We are freezing here in Eastern Europe and they are talking us kindergarten color codes. Talk us real weather.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/cold-weather-europe_n_1241510.html

A severe and snowy cold snap across central and eastern Europe has left at least 36 people dead, cut off power to towns, and snarled traffic.
This part of Europe is not unused to cold, but the current freeze, which spread to most of the region last week, came after a period of relatively mild weather. Many were shocked when temperatures in some parts plunged Monday to minus 20 Celsius (minus 4 Fahrenheit).
Temperatures in parts of Ukraine fell to minus 16 C (3 F) during the day and minus 23 C (minus 10 F) in the night.
In Poland, at least 10 people froze to death as the cold reached minus 26 C (minus 15 F) on Monday.
City authorities in the Czech capital of Prague set up tents for an estimated 3,000 homeless people. Freezing temperatures also damaged train tracks, slowing railway traffic.
In central Serbia, three people died and two more were missing, while 14 municipalities were operating under emergency decrees. Efforts to clear roads blocked by snow were hampered by strong winds and dozens of towns faced power outages.
Strong winds also closed down Bulgaria's main Black Sea port of Varna, while part of a major highway leading to Bulgaria and Greece from Turkey was closed after a heavy snowfall. Nearly 200 Turkish Airlines flights to and from Istanbul's Ataturk Airport were canceled, and a city sports hall was turned to a temporary shelter for some 350 homeless people.
The temperature in Turkey's province of Kars, which borders Armenia, dropped to minus 25 C on Sunday night. The situation was similar in Romania, where reports said four people have died because of freezing weather.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I came across similar information as the member above me and have not posted in this thread yet but remembered it and rushed straight here;

www.bbc.co.uk

At least 18 people have died in Ukraine and 10 in Poland after heavy snow fall and a sudden drop in temperatures across east Europe. Three deaths were also reported in Serbia and one in Bulgaria. Ukrainian officials said nearly 500 people had sought treatment for frostbite and hypothermia in just three days. And over that time, more than 17,000 people had sought refuge in some 1,500 shelters, Ukrainian media reported. Temperatures have plunged to -16C (3F) during the day and -23C (-10F) at night, the Associated Press reports.

to you, it seems your prediction is coming to fruition.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Being newly retired, part of me was hoping for some snow and ice so that I could feel smug that I didn't have to go to work. But ultimately it's a bad thing - car accidents, broken bones, people losing pay, struggling to stay warm etc. So to those who are experiencing prolonged bitter cold try to stay warm and safe. Live in one room if you have to and dig out those thermals!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I recall having read this thread back when you posted it and I have to say; Wow.

That was well worth putting your rep on the line, because you were DEAD ON!
I really hope someone would do something to help the homeless in the countries, that are impacted on a large scale - save your fellowmen, even if they are with huge cars, big houses or if they live out of a box and on the streets!!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Just had a look out the window....and the snow is coming down hard and fast here in London. You were right!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Loving winter so far here this year in Canada - Europe can keep the cold.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The netherlands and Belgium, ice and snow

lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Raining like buggery here right now - GIVE ME THE DAMN SNOW!!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
The guys from GW promised me scarcely clothed neighbourettas lying around the hood by now... I just opened my curtains...

A GLACIER!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Probably been posted before, but i contributed this post on another thread that was similar to this one, but so all the info gets shared il post here, sorry if someone's posted something similar already.

The weather is def screwed, especially in London, where im from.

i have lived here for 34 years, and the whole weather system has completely changed over the years, at one point during this winter, when the sun perked up which was uncharacteristic, flowers started to bloom.

The strains of Silent Night have barely faded, but already the snowdrops have reared their heads and gardens are ablaze with colour. Confused? You’re not the only one. The exceptionally mild winter has left Mother Nature so baffled that spring has sprung early – and autumn hasn’t quite gone away either. At a time when we would usually expect to see bare branches and icy mornings, some flowers have burst into life two or more months ahead of schedule. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...< br />

No end to autumn: This cherry tree in Windsor, prunus autumnalis, is a variety which normally flowers in October. This one did... and is still blooming now

Awakening: Usually considered a sign of spring when it blooms in February, this polyanthus (left) opens up in Hertfordshire. The camellia japonica (right) typically flowers between March and May but is already brightening the winter in Windsor Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...< br />

We have abundant amounts of squirrels here where i am, none have gone into hibernation??

i seem to of messed up the html, hellppppp lol
edit on 11-2-2012 by Denied because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
north east of England has been below zero for weeks ..you cant even walk on the foot paths for fear of falling.. Europe has had the worst winters in years

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I'm here in SE England just east of London bloody cold. Snow from last week still on the ground lots of ice hasn't been higher than 2 degree C for the last few weeks but apparently looking on my met office app on Wednesday it's going to be a mild 8 degree C ... Weird

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Those in the south east will gradually see their cold weather change to average weather over then next few days, by thursday, i expect you all to be under milder weather.

There is a risk of a northely blast or two from the arctic later in the week, where Scotland and Northern England could see snow but it should remain average for the south.

The next area of Europe that could be in line for colder than average weather is the Balearic Islands and Spain. there could easily be snow, so if you are heading to the Mediteranean on holiday next week (Weds onwards), i'd pack a jacket, hat and scarf and leave the sunscreen at home...
edit on 11/2/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
LOL I heard birds singing today when they usually do that after March, and here it is all frozen, snowy, I LOVE SNOW AND WINTER! Screw summer.

May it be like that every winter

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join